1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dedication

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Apr 7, 2010.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

@ kelly1966

Dear K:

I try, I try. But, being human, I fail most of the time. Can you see though that even Tagore could feel his doubts and then try to resolve them rationally?

This poem is known to most literate Bengalis. It is not a literal translation. I avoided that route. I wanted it to sound naturally English, at least to Indian English speakers.

Thanks for your appreciation.

oj-kaku

2. ojaantrik

@ Cheeniya

Dear Sri:

I understand, I know, I have no confusion regarding the matter in my mind. Yet, I am just a human being after all. So, I can't hide my pain, however irrational it may be. Your last few lines took me back, curiously enough to a paragraph I wrote in my story "A Flat Atop the New Market". I think I have told you in the past that I feel a strange attachment to this story. I almost sense a deja vu whenever I look back at it. I know not why. It's possible that I had put together bits and pieces of my life and my attitudes to life together to write this tale.

With reference to the part of your fb that I quoted, this is what I had written at one point of the story: Her recital was so moving that silence was the only tribute one could offer.

So, as I said, I know, I have no confusion and yet ... the tragedy lies in the simple fact that I am human. Fortunately though, I cannot give up either. Ultimately, writing to me is important, it is one of the few occupations, other than singing, that I think I am truly in love with.

What's to be done yaar! People in love are highly irrational. Aren't they?

Thank you so much wonderful friend!

oj

3. ojaantrik

@ vyasan

Your perception is correct of course. I guess I shall be passing through these ups and downs. Can't be helped. But I enjoy the fb's I do get from some of the most sensitive persons at this site. That brings contentment. It could have been worse. On the whole I feel satisfied.

Thanks for reading.

oj

4. ojaantrik

@ radsahana

Good Friend!

Thanks for your encouragement. Sometimes I lose interest. At others I am back in form. I think a reason why I do not attract comments is that my posts are too long. People may not have the time to read and you can't blame them for being preoccupied. Most probably short posts are what one should aim form. Let's see if I can manage to find the right size.

I am moved by your concern.

All the best.

oj-da

5. ojaantrik

@ kamalji

Dear Kamal:

I don't think it is the goodness or badness of posts that matters as far as fb's go. You must keep in mind that people are busy. They cannot spend too much time on a post. My posts are invariably long and that is the main reason why people don't respond.

There is no point blaming others. One must look at oneself and find out one's shortcomings. Mine is excessive length. I experimented with three posts one after the other. The shortest one got the largest number of responses. The longest one received the fewest.

So, I need to decide what I want. Either I write for the sheer pleasure of writing, whether people read or respond. Alternatively, I write short posts and hope for the best. The ideal is a short and competent post. That's what Cheeniya has total mastery over.

So, the objective should be the Cheeniya length combined with the stuff I enjoy writing.

Let's see.

oj

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Oj da,
    Only you can bring such gems to us. Good work..I still remember the translation of the poem..Margosa tree.

Cheer up..we are all here for you..

Good to see young Tagore!

sriniketan

7. ojaantrik

@ Amma15

Young friend,

Thanks for the kind words.Tagore's range is truly wide. He did not write sad or melancholic pieces only. He wrote fun literature too. He wrote plays that would make people roar with laughter. Nonsense rhymes too.

He wrote so much that few people have read all of his works. But, I suppose, his most long lasting contribution consists of music. And, in music too, he chose fast as well as slow tunes. He experimented endlessly with beats.

Unfortunately, I haven't read more than 10 or 15 per cent of his complete works.

All the best and thank you again for reading.

oj-da

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear oj da,

thank you for the photograph and the explanation.:)
    It is really news to me that tagore wrote fun stories too.the wreck was "nauka dubi" in bengali and written in 1905 ,information courtesy google.I had found it a very fascinating story for those days.

9. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ojada,
    I became dumbfounded seeing the wonder translation of a beautifulpoem.For the past three days I was thinking about this only. My knowledge about Tagore is very limited and I was also hesitating to write a feed back to a master like you with my ordinary English. Now I collected all my courage and began to write the feed back. What I know about Tagore is
    greatest writer in modern Indian literature, Bengali poet, novelist, educator, and an early advocate of Independence for India. Tagaore won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1913. Two years later he was awarded the knighthood, but he surrendered it in 1919 as a protest against the Massacre of Amritsar, where British troops killed some 400 Indian demonstrators. Tagore's influence over Gandhi and the founders of modern India was enormous, but his reputation in the West as a mystic has perhaps mislead his Western readers to ignore his role as a reformer and critic of colonialism.
    "When one knows thee, then alien there is none, then no door is shut. Oh, grant me my prayer that I may never lose touch of the one in the play of the many." (from Gitanjali)
    Now my contribution:
    [​IMG]
    Tagore with Mrinalini,his wife
    I feel in this poem, Tagore expressed that
    Love is not a thing to understand.
    Love is not a thing to feel.
    Love is not a thing to give and receive.
    Love is a thing only to become
    And eternally be
    with love
    pad

10. ojaantrik

@ iyerviji

Thank you dear Pashenka. I really don't know how far I did justice to this poem. However, since you always speak the simple truth, I feel satisfied.

Best wishes.

oj-da