December Duets!!!!!

Discussion in 'Festivals & Special Days' started by Yashikushi, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

So nice of you Padma M'm and Queeny to share your noëls with us.
    Sara,don't worry.Lets sing to together and dance.
    [​IMG]

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
    Just like the ones I used to know
    Where the treetops glisten
    and children listen
    To hear sleigh bells in the snow.

With every Christmas card I write
    May your days be merry and bright
    And may all your Christmases be white.

With every Christmas card I write
    May your days be merry and bright
    And may all your Christmases be white.

[​IMG]

<CENTER>[​IMG]</CENTER>

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. Yashikushi

Look on the Bright Side Day is today.Literally looking on the bright side may be a bit difficult today. It is winter solstice, the shortest day of the year. And, December days tend to be cloudy. However, we're going to be optimistic, and fully expect you to succeed.

Look on the Bright Side Day is a day to be optimistic. The term itself is an optimistic one. It calls upon us to look for something positive, out of an otherwise bad or sad situation. Often, a bad experience has positive lessons to be learned.

Optimism will help us reach a better future. A better tomorrow cannot come from pessimism. My poster emphasises the need to make the most of each day and to embrace change. Even if things don’t turn out in our favour, it is our duty to put a positive spin on it
    [​IMG]

Don't be left in the dark on National Flashlight Day. The basic requirement for this day, is a flashlight and good batteries. Flick the switch, and you can put anything into your spotlight.

We'd like to shed a little light on this special day. National Flashlight Day arrives on Winter Solstice, which is the shortest day...and longest night.... of the year. "Watt" that means, is that there's lots and lots of darkness. With all of those dark hours, your flashlight is apt to get a good workout.

You never know when you will need a flashlight. National Flashlight Day is a good day to make sure you and your family know where the flashlights are. Test each flashlight, to be sure the batteries are good. When in doubt, replace the batteries with new ones. It is also a good idea to put a flashlight in your car.

Did You Know? The flashlight was invented in 1898 by Joshua Lionel Cowen. However, this wasn't his greatest invention. He also invented the Lionel train.

[​IMG]

Forefather's Day commemorates the pilgrims landing at Plymouth Rock in 1620. They left for the New World, to escape religious persecution. After a late fall start, the Mayflower set sail from England and landed at Plymouth Rock, Massachusetts just before Christmas. This holiday is celebrated largely in New England. If you are not from New England, chances are you this is the first you have heard of Forefather's Day.

The pilgrims originally set sail from England in two ships, the Speedwell and the Mayflower. The Speedwell leaked so badly, that they were forced to return to England, Ultimately, they all crammed into the Mayflower, and set sail from Plymouth, England. It was much later than they had planned. Strong fall west winds also delayed their arrival in the New World. Finally, on December 21, 1620 they landed.

Humbug Day is today.

Sure, venting frustration over the stress of Christmas is appropriate for this day. But, we believe Humbug Day is much more. We believe Humbug Day brings out the Scrooge in all of us. Scrooges all over have been waiting for this day, and come out of the woodwork in great numbers. They go far beyond venting a few frustrations. Many scrooges are negative towards Christmas in general, and can put a real damper on your Christmas spirit.

Use Humbug Day to release the stress of the holiday season. But, whatever you do, avoid becoming a real, bonafide Christmas Scrooge.

[​IMG]

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Saroj for the information throwing light on the days!!
    We should always be optimistic. This poem I used to say myself whener I feel low:
    Some things in life are bad
    They can really make you mad
    Other things just make you swear and curse.
    When you're chewing on life's gristle
    Don't grumble, give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
    Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten
    There's something you've forgotten
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
    When you're feeling in the dumps
    Don't be silly chumps
    Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...
    Always look on the light side of life...

4. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Saroj,

Never knew there were such days ..like for torchlights :-D
    Though, I may try to vent out all my frustration today [​IMG] I certainly will do my best to see that I overcome it and look at fresh, good things in life ahead of me.
    Padmini Aunty, I have read that poem before...very good indeed.
    I love the lines...
    Don't grumble, give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best...

Thanx for sharing it here.

Bye

5. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

See our fore father's..........hehehe of 1620's

[​IMG]
    Humbug Day

[​IMG]

National Flashlight Day

[​IMG]

Look on the Bright Side Day
    [​IMG]

6. Yashikushi

Thank you so much buddies for the optimistic out-puts.
    lets [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] and [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Blowing the trumpet for the newyear.

7. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Hi kushi, queeny, saras, padma aunty, padmini aunty

I'm here after a very looooong time visiting my favourite thread before the duet ends...

very positive indeed enjoyed reading padmini aunty's poem.. boosting my energy...

LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF THE LIFE.. real good day ...

8. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

National Date Nut Bread Day is today. Enjoy a tasty bread for the holidays. It's the perfect bread for the season. It contains nuts and sugar, but is not heavy on the sugar. Date nut bread is quite popular. You can make it yourself, or buy some at the bakery. We suggest a couple of loafs. In our house, a single loaf does not last long.

There is some question as to the correct date for this special day. A survey of the net, resulted in roughly half of the references for this day claiming it is on September 8th. In our survey, a very slight majority record this special day on December 8. We go with the majority for two reasons: First, it is the majority. Second, this day fits well in the holiday season. Date Nut Bread is popular for the holidays.

Get your fill of Date Nut Bread today. After all, that's what this day is for
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG].

Enjoy and have a nice day!!

9. Yashikushi

Good to see you back Vahee.You were right in time.
    Thanks Pad Ma sharing my evergreen fav.

Today is National Date Nut Bread Day. I’m a big fan of dates and have been since childhood.Just the word ‘fruitcake’ conjures up images of crazy people, and the real deal is not at all appetizing although I would like to taste one, for real, that is fresh and worthy of praise instead of ridicule.

But the holiday intrigued me because this is bread, and it has dates and it shouldn’t be too hard to come up with an option that doesn’t make my teeth hurt from being too sweet. Dates are notoriously sweet and contain the highest concentration of sugar in any dried fruit. They are also higly caloric, but they are loaded with potassium and fiber and can be an enjoyable treat, in moderation. One thing they don’t need at all is any extra sugar....so go crazy those who confine to slim body line.

[​IMG]

10. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vahee
    Nice to see you here.

Padmini... nice poem couldn't read it yesterday so did it today.
    you and Saroj great information you both are sharing thanks for that.

Here is my Date Nut bread to all of you just coming out of the oven.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009