Death Rituals - Is There Life In It?

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by goldfish99, Apr 23, 2016.

1. goldfish99

goldfish99 Silver IL'ite

Death - the tranquil truth of life. Once you step in to the world, its marked that you will leave it someday. Leaving behind, maybe, legacy, love, emotions, grieving mortals.

But, I fail to understand one thing. In Hindu culture , why do we need to as such 'celebrate' death? Why do we have the ritual of feeding near and dear ones, just like, a get together.

Its perfectly fine, that we have near and dear ones to come and console and stand by you, share your grief, but what is the point of having the lunch or dinner customs, after the shradhdh ceremony.

It is better to give donations or food in charity in the name of the deceased, rather than spending grands for elaborate lunch / dinner or get togethers. In that way, the departed souls will rest better, in peace.

Goodgod and Teja like this.

2. Goodgod

Goodgod IL Hall of Fame

hello goldfish99...

KashmirFlower and Sairindhri like this.
  3. SoniaG

SoniaG New IL'ite

There is a clear religious reason behind some of the rituals but now-a-days the pomp attached is meaningless. The most important thing is 11 days then monthly shradda and annual shradda. Without these the atma will remain as preta and causes pain (depending on the type of life the person lived) to the living. Read vishnu purana or Garuda purana

4. monkatpeace87

monkatpeace87 Silver IL'ite

I think u are taking death as the end point. U need to understand death is just transistory. I just means u pass from one phase to another. There is no thing called the end. I think we Hindus celebrate death as the soul passes from one phase to another. And death takes u more closer to God. Isn't that we ultimately want.

momsky and Sairindhri like this.