1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Death in the Family

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Remanambiar, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Remanambiar

Remanambiar New IL'ite

Death is a finality and never a happy incident .Its inevitable – man or matter it’s the same .It has to be mourned Like the recent death in our family But guiltily let me admit that this death was a welcome one .With it, along with sadness came a sense of relief ---a freedom from bondage Secretly I thought it was more of a suicide than death .but I daren’t say it aloud .
    I sighed with relief .No more would I have to wait and watch .I now had time on my hands whereas previously I had no time to call my own . The blissful silences in the evening, no more beckoning to the room where the dead body lay .A relief to my eyes and ears .The books I planned to read glowed at me ...my half done knitting smiled at me No more fights in the house as the bone of contention was dead- dead as a log and lying in peace .Now I knew why silence was called golden .This was pure bliss .I could now wash dishes and do my washing taking my own sweet time and did not have to hurry through it. I did not have to keep a ear cocked for the familiar sound from the room nor rush in with dough covered hands when I was urgently summoned .I was free ..free from sentimental sojourns and free from tensions ,free to go out, mindless of time and day and date .The only person who went around with a sad and tearful face was my daughter .She had lost her best companion .She sat with the dead body staring at it as though willing it to come alive We too were close … sometimes even our dinners were taken i n that room We had been slaves…mindlessly watching the play of emotions day in day out .Now we could sit together as a family and chit chat like we did ages ago .There had been no time for all that, nor for anything else …my flowers had wilted ,my paint brushes were covered in dust .
    Better still ..no more shouts for tea and coffee to be delivered to that room and no cleaning up after dinner ..now I could invite over my friends for long chats with no thought of any interruptions .I don’t have to feel guilty of wanting them to leave soon especially if they deigned to visit on a Sunday .Fifteen long years I have lived under a spell which has now been broken
    The autopsy revealed it was a natural death due to an overdose of voltage. You see it was my television that died

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2010

2. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Hi it was really good and i was expecting whom it could be and made so many guesses and suddenly when i was about to come to the climax i guessed it could be a television and my guess was correct. Keep posting:thumbsup such thrillers:).

3. Anabika

Anabika Silver IL'ite

Had a wonderful read. Very well written. In half-way through I guessed it was TV.

Anabika

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear Rema,

you surely have a knack for writing comic suspenses.:) A :thumbsup post.

5. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hello Rema,
    Appreciate your sense of humour. WOnderful write up! I was curious to know WHO? ahahhaaa.....its a TV. Sooner, you will get a new TV..

6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Rema
    Now so use to your suspense posts when I read that you had time now for knitting, reading books and washing vessels etc i immediately guessed this has to be Television of the house that is dead at Rema's place:biglaugh and LOL I found the television died of high voltage....hehehe

7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rema

The British have the greatest regard for their Royalty. Even when they announce the death of the King, they would say ‘The King is dead. Long live the King!’ because all royal proclamations are concluded with the hailing of the King! I expected you to announce the death of the TV with the same reverence but was disappointed to see that you had mentioned it as casually as if it was a street dog crushed by a truck.

The English novel ‘Lolita’ authored by the famous Russian Vladimir Nabokov was hailed as one of the best 100 novels written between 1923 and 2005 by TIME. Its central subject was highly controversial but nevertheless it was highly rated. The story is about a middle-aged man falling in love with a 12 year old girl! The story starts with the following emotionally fiery lines, “Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul." I am mentioning this to drive home the fact that even the socially unacceptable happenings can still become a rage among public. Lolita was condemned by almost everyone but the fact that she has grown to be a cult figure subsequently would indicate that Lolita set every heart on fire secretly!

TV is like Lolita. No other gadget is as ‘much maligned’ as TV. We ridicule it as idiot box without ever taking our eyes off it. When the TV is on, one eye of the participants of even the most important discussions will be on the TV. When Doordarshan made its first appearance in Chennai in 1962, we acquired our first TV set. It was a black and white TV called Bharat and had rolling shutters for the screen! The programs ran for about 4 hours a day from 6 p.m. I remember how the DD logo would appear accompanied by the signature tune sending waves of excitement through our bodies! Except for the weekly film programmes called ‘Oliyum oliyum’ every programme used to be a bore but we would never miss any of them including the ‘Vayalum Vaazhvum’ meant for the farmers!

But there was no looking back since then! Hundreds of channels keep airing their colorful programs round the clock and though we don’t sit glued to it as in the past, it is always on. You can easily spot out the lord of the family from who handles the remote most of the time. In my house my mil handles it even when the TV is not on! Such is the effect it has on everyone. I am amused to read your suspenseful thread on the demise of the TV. But don’t you know that like the Phoenix it would come back to life? In the modern life, TV is about the only thing that can be compared to The Brook of Lord Tennyson to be able to say, ‘Men may come and men may go but I go on forever’

Your gleeful announcement about the death of the TV is just to hide your intense feelings about its absence, a temporary absence from your life and I know how much you miss it!

Sri

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Hi

Even i was wonderiong how could u be so happy when someone ha died in the family, and u kept the suspense right till the end.

Hilarious really.For my my TV died quite soem tiem back, for i dont watch it atall these days, lousy news, i dont watch football too, and there is no cricket around.HAHA

Good one, lovely humour and suspense.

Regards

kamal

9. Remanambiar

Remanambiar New IL'ite

Thank you so much Kamalji .It was a welcome break indeed ,Not only for me but for my whole family .
    Love
    Rema

10. Remanambiar

Remanambiar New IL'ite

Dear cheeniya ,
    Thank you for the wonderful feedback .It was so enlightening .So many facts about the idiot box that we have taken for granted .I had my children read your reply and they were surprised thatthe TV had a history .For them the Idiot box was something like a piece of furniture .It was there and always be there .
    Thank you once again for the informative piece
    Love
    Rema