1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dear Srikkanth

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Malathijagan, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Oh! I am yet to get a reply from "that sonny boy!" Any way, that doesn't bother me. My work is over!

That letter had 'Mother' written all over it, not just in the signature!
    You might hear many moms telling you, include me in it, that your letter echoes their words to their children, said at one time or another.
    But you have put it lucidly in black and white and I will not be surprised if this will now be referred to by many a young mother in IL.
    I feel writing down your doubts, wishes and aspirations to your loved ones is far more effective then speaking them out. Words while spoken, get misinterpreted. Many of us only think about doing it and do not end up doing. You have set a good example and the letter was touching and will touch every mom.
    Now I am curious...how did sonny boy react to it??:)
    Great writing Malathi.

L, Kamla[/quote]

2. Malathijagan

Thank you for rweply. I am sure all mothers have these exact feelings.Its only that not all areable to express in words and written form.But that should not belittle the motherly feelings in them.

3. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Re: Dear Srikkanth (posted directly w.o attachment)

Dear Malathi,

I absolutely loved reading the letter you wrote to your son. I'm sure your sons are very lucky to have u as their mom. I'm sure many moms will identify with this situation & i also liked your idea of mailing him.

Though i'm not a mom, reading this letter reminded me of what my mom wrote to me when my parents came to visit me a few months after my marriage in my new home. Before leaving, my mom left her letter in a place (without my knowledge) where i would see it.

Believe me, reading it really made me emotional & i couldn't stop crying, it was so thoughtful of her to write ......made me feel that i had the best mom in the world!! Her letter prepared me as i embarked on a new journey of life in a new land....

But, till today i haven't told her that i read it & nor has she asked! Being a mom & someone who's knows her child in & out, i'm sure she knows that i have. I couldn't bring myself to talk to her abt it as the very thought of it makes me emotional (even now when i write abt it).

So.......even if your son hasn't replied, be assured he has read it & will always treasure it as a special gift from his mom ( i can vouch for that).

Thanks for sharing this letter with us.

Cheers!
    Ragini.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  4. abhatv

abhatv Senior IL'ite

Hai Malathi,

I liked your letter very much. Am planning to show it to my elder son who is going to 12th now. He is very playful and however we try, he seems to hear all through one ear and let it out through the other. He does not seem to take anything seriously. I hope the letter at least has some effect.

Thank you.

Regards,

Abha.

5. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hi malathi

The letter is so touching, it has love, care and deep concern, and i heartily appreciate the way you have written it.

and like Ragini said your son has definitely read it and understood your feelings and he wud have beome very emotional at that time... but he wouldnt come and discuss it with you, because probably these days children think its less Hip to say i love you to our parents... cos they know u will become even more emotional then... but it doesnt mean that they care any less... its just that its difficult to express... just like ragini said that she never spoke to her mom about it, i also have difficulty in facing my mom dad when they become all emotional... so wat i do is just listen to them and control my emotions... cos if i become emotional they will be 10 times more than me... and when its difficult to express emotions, u tend to become irritable... that is i guess is what happens with him, as u mentioned in your letter.... "I feel a little jittery because you get irritated".

well i myself have become emotional, reading your post and then writing the response... i'm not a mother yet, but i still think and wonder how i'm going to deal with my children.. if i'm able to do half as much as our parents did for us... i wud be really thankful to god...

take care
    ~Abha

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Malathijagan,
    your letter is what every mother would want to send to her son. My son has just finished 10th and I will have to preserve your letter to show it to him in another 2 years.
    My son is obedient and all, but still he is a teenager. I get along with him well as I understand that and treat him as an adult. But I too want him to shed many small bad practised and do well in some. I believe that boys pick up late only. Sudha has said it correctly, I envy mothers who have daughters.
    I am hopeful too that my son would not disappoint me, he loves me very much. I always give him space to be himself and he loves me for that.
    I shall definitely send this letter to him earlier, I can't wait for another 2 years.
    Good going!

7. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Malathyjagan
    What a lovely letter !
    Somehow the ideas dont come out so effectively when spoken across the dining table. The written word seems more powerful, more insistent and also registers better .
    I liked the fact that the sermonising tone is totally switched off in the letter which speaks, instead, directly to his sense of responsibity towards himself.

I wish the boy all the very best in life. I"m sure he'll make you proud.

Regards
    manjula

8. Malathijagan

Thanks Ragini for having read this letter of mine to my loving son. Even my mom used to write to me great letters during my 1 month stint at a hostel in Chennai for my +2! Even now I have kept them safe and read them after 25 years or so! So I do understand that even though we may never let the other side know , we do acknowledge anything that is done out of pure love.
    Happy reading!
    Malathi

9. Malathijagan

Hi Abha!
    Its good to know that a young woman like you has read this letter of mine.Would you believe, I have got some good insight about the younger gen. from both you and Ragini's response! May be I will be able to understand my future d's-i-l better and be as loving and caring to them as with my sons. And don't you worry, even you would make a wonderful and lovely mom in the future. That is the inborn quality of Indian women in particular because of our rich cultural heritage.
    Happy reading!
    Malathi

10. Malathijagan

Hi Varalakshmi!
    Now-a-days the distractions,especially for boys is so much that we as parents are helpless. Shouting at them, punishing them, black mailing them- all these things are counter-productive. Only the language of love and concern can have some impact on them.For that too, we cannot expect immediate response. Either they will let their ego cool before they start taking our words seriously or will learn by the more harder ways-"Experience".
    I am sure your son studying in the 10th class would come up in life with flying colours and I wish him all the best as another mom who has gone through your situations
    Rgds,
    Malathi