1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Dd's School: Need Help To Decide

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Naari, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Hello ILs,

DD recently turned 5 and completed 1st year of pre-school in a private school. She is eligible to go to Kindergarten starting September this year. We started her pre-k in a private school as public school here does not offer pre-k. Now, for Kg (which starts in Sept 17), we got her enrolled in public school. Now my primary concern is that DD is slightly on the shy side and does not socialize and open up / make friends quickly in school. Not that she does not try, but sometimes if the other kid does not respond immediately, she gets hurt and backs off. So, I am worried that in the public school where the class sizes are around 25-30 kids per class with 2-3 teachers per classroom, she might withdraw into a shell or get intimidated. As against that, the private school Kg class sizes are around 10-15 among 2 teachers. So, with a lower student: teacher ratio, there is a better chance of getting one-on-one attention and to allow for more time for DD to open and develop at her own pace in private school.

Her private school teacher suggested that we go ahead and continue with them for Kg considering all the above. She thinks that the public school might be a sudden transition for DD and may end up overwhelming DD & either may have a positive effect of opening her up socially or have a complete negative effect of her withdrawing in her shell.

Interestingly, DD has a very charming and dynamic personality at all places except for school. She is smart and talkative with outsiders in malls, restaurants, stores everywhere except in class. But, in school, she is too stuck up and well behaved almost to the extent of restraining her personality and playfulness. So much so, that she wouldn't even ask her teacher for even water or to go potty or any sort of help initially, though it has gotten better lately. I really do not understand this 2 different personalities that DD exhibits, one at school and one at all other places.

Friends, I need your suggestions considering my DD's personality, whether she should go to private or public school for Kindergarten? Also, pls note that public schools in our area are excellent, so the quality isn't much of a worry here.

Also, pls share if your kids have been akin to DD in exhibiting different personality at school and other places..

As always, thank you so much!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

My friends daughter is very shy overall and started with a private pre-school. She went to kindergarten in a public school setting and did absolutely fine. She seems to have adapted well and I notice a remarkable improvement in the way she interacts with others .

Naari likes this.