1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dd So Obsessed With Makeup N Nailpolish N Everything Fancy

Discussion in 'Kids Korner' started by diamond1880, Apr 25, 2019.

1. diamond1880

diamond1880 Senior IL'ite

I am at my Wits's end this is by far an understatement My 4 year old girl is so much obsessed with nail polish n makeup kits. I have never used one all my life, I am in my mid 30s now
    When ever we go out she sees anything associated with makeup etc she wants it, virtually pleads, She would join her palms in a requesting pose and ask "can you please buy me" I have told her that only after she is 18 years can she wear makeup.
    Is there any way to wean her out of this obsession

2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

It’s natural that gals get obsessed with makeup products.Some develop such feeling towards it at young age.

Nail polish is not that harmful. You can apply it on her toes for her satisfaction.

Within 10 years I used to apply lipstick and blush even at home :lol: :oops:
    I was so obsessed even with eye shadow too.

But only when you grow old you will realise the effects of makeup.

For now continue telling the same that once she grows up she is eligible to buy all those.

But to her satisfaction you can apply nail polish, Kajal etc which aren’t that harmful.

Or you can even buy such makeup sets which aren’t even real.

Little Cosmetics Pretend Makeup Signature Set Amazon.com: Little Cosmetics Pretend Makeup Signature Set: Toys & Games

Just wanted to share some incident.
    When I was around 10 years old I had pleaded my moms aunt to get makeup products from London while they where visiting. Everyone where laughing when I asked them.
    They bought a tiny and cute pink bag which had lipgloss and blush in it.
    I still have it :hearteyes:
    So these are all memories which can be cherished forever!
    Loved the innocence of your daughter :kissingclosed:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:This nail polish reminds me of an incident.
    From dressing mirror, my son of 14 or 15, took away the nail polish stealthily. A while later I saw him replacing it in place from where he took.
    I was wondering perhaps he had helped the girl the next door.
    I quizzed him with a mild smile on my face.
    He responded that tape in audio cassette broke and to reunite the cut ends he had used the nail polish!
    Truly taken aback.
    God leaves certain things in polished manner.

4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Hahaha. Never knew that nail polish could be useful in such a way too :sweatsmile:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

:smile: Same pinch. My dd did the same when she was around 4yrs. Look like they are kind of obsessed ( I heard from my mom that I used to do the same with kajol all over my face around that age ). Dont know if there is any peer pressure. I didn't buy anything for her fearing it may ruin her nails. I didn't know that kids set are available that time. Finally my dh bought kids nail polish /make up set/colorful lip balms etc -may be from Walmart. It was cute and colorful. She was in front of the mirror for many days. Tried all most all colors on her nails and face. It gave us lot of smiling moments. Finally she gave up it look like. May be done with the mess, I think. Now she rarely touch it. But I dont allow her to use mine and explained to her that its for adults and not for kids. She can use it when she grow up. Anyway she was happy that she got her own set.

I think if we say NO, they get obsessed again. You can explain to her about it, not sure if they understand. Allow her to use it till she get the satisfaction that she used it. So present her a kids set. But give instructions where to store it , use it and not to create a mess. Give her full responsibility. She will be fine. (ask your mom about her experience :))

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    shravs3 and KashmirFlower like this.
  6. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

@Thyagarajan Sir,

No doubt that your posts are much lively, but I would like to let you know that I started observing the last line of your every post and with all due respect I can say that it always takes its own form with the context. Kudos to your creativity!

Another use of nail polish noted.

I am not a big fan of any type of make-up stuff but I like the smell of nail-polish and nail-polish remover(acetone) since my childhood ...

@diamond1880 , it is not so uncommon. 4-year old cutie knows what she needs, kudos dear...Buy her some toys which is like a set where in she can do a makeup to bunch of toys that way she can change her focus from make-up to an artist. Good Luck!

--PS

messedup and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Pl
    :hello:
    Thanks for your observation and it is always good to read between the lines including the last lines.
    God’s ways are never a cul- de-sac.