Data Scientist Role Anyone?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Archanaanchan, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Il's ,

My previous experience is in data warehouse, Obiee, SSAS, SSIS , SQL and SSRS. I quit my job some time back and joined my husband on dependent visa in the US. I am planning to o some short term courses here to support my career. I found the data scientist course very apt and useful .

I want to seek some suggestions on the following:

which is the best online platform to take up this ?
    Is there any other courses that can help?
    What is the scope of data scientist course?

Sandycandy likes this.

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Sorry buddy, from a very different field, know nothing about this.

Archanaanchan and Sandycandy like this.
  3. AllizWell

AllizWell Bronze IL'ite

In the present scenario, data immense business value!Big companies like Amazon,Google,Facebook are investing and counting on these.So you understand by this how important the role of data scientist is going to be!

Just to give you an idea about the technologies involved in it..

Data visualization: the presentation of data in a pictorial or graphical format so it can be easily analyzed.

Machine learning: a branch of artificial intelligence based on mathematical algorithms and automation.

Deep learning: an area of machine learning research that uses data to model complex abstractions.

Pattern recognition: technology that recognizes patterns in data (often used interchangeably with machine learning).

Data preparation: the process of converting raw data into another format so it can be more easily consumed.

Text analytics: the process of examining unstructured data to glean key business insights.

Machine Learning and Information retrieval play a very important role which need to be supported by Data Mining techniques.

As you are already from a background dealing with data, this would be an apt course is what i feel. If you can learn python alongside it would be a real plus!

It is one of the highest paying jobs and equally challenging too!

If you are looking for online courses there are many. The best among them I don't have an idea about that.

Also if you are in India there are courses with certification provided by deemed institutions like IIT,Bits Pilani etc.

Hope this info is useful :)

Archanaanchan likes this.
  4. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

Thank you dearie @AllizWell :) Your feedback was valuable:)

AllizWell likes this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'm going to try to give you a broad breakdown of the skills you need to be a data scientist. Be advised that the discipline has grown exponentially in recent years, so much so that many of its subdisciplines, like machine learning, have become full fledged domains with entire degree programs dedicated to them. Being comfortable with engineering mathematics will be an advantage. Familiarity with multivariable calculus and linear algebra is necessary to work with machine learning algorithms and data modeling.

List of data analyst skills - (I have listed the key concepts under each skill, but this is by no means an exhaustive list.)

1. Programming: R and Python programming languages, spreadsheet skills (Excel), Java and C++ are desirable but not necessary, some knowledge of Javascript and HTML.
    2. Statistics:
    • Descriptive statistics: Data measures, distributions, standard deviation and variance.
    • Inferential statistics: hypothesis testing (P-values), significance testing (z-test, t-test, chi-squared, ANOVA, etc.)
    • design of experiments: A/B testing, controlling variables, sample size power law, confidence levels
    4. Machine learning:
    • Supervised learning algorithms: Bayes classifiers, regression, decision tress, artificial neural networks, support vector machines, ensemble methods.
    • Unsupervised learning algorithms: Principal component analysis, singular value decomposition, clustering algorithms
    • Reinforcement learning algorithms
    • Deep learning frameworks: TensorFlow, Torch, Theano
    5. Data wrangling - relational databases systems, SQL, MapReduce - Hadoop, Spark, MongoDB
    6. Data visualization - Using Tableau for encoding, visualization and presentation of data

It is not feasible to explore each of these skills in depth in a short amount of time. Since you have a background in data warehousing and analytics, I would suggest starting with a combination of programming and inferential statistics. This combined with your current skill set should be sufficient to get you a foot in the door. Beyond that when it comes to being a well-rounded data scientist, the sky is the limit!

For learning resources, take a look at the offerings on Coursera and Udacity. Both offer data science tracks in the form of free and paid programs. You could enroll for one of the tracks being offered, or pick and choose courses from these and other MOOC websites to make your own customized program. If you choose well you can cover most of the material without spending a single penny. Most of these courses offer a project with real data at the end. Your goal should be to practice your skills on as many of these projects as possible and create a GitHub repository of your code. Having a portfolio of work to show prospective employers during job interviews will make you a very attractive candidate!

Good luck with your plans! Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Viswamitra and Rihana like this.