1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dasavatharam, Koorathazhwan and Ramanujar – A Love Story Again!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Jul 22, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Gayathri,

You are right about the film Dasavatharam. The first few scenes are the most impressive and then the tempo dies down. Or perhaps, the rest of the film could not match the build-up fof the first few scenes.

Seeing the interest shown in Koorathazhwan, I plan to write one more piece on him. May be between the 3rd and the 4th episode of my serial, ALS.

We do not have any information on Naalooran. Kooresan praying for his bliss is one thing. But for Naalooran to enjoy it, he should have love in his mind. And that's the problem with all of us, Gayathri. We are all in a state of bliss. But our awareness is limited because we are deficient in love. We may not be as bad as Naaloroan or the King. But definitely not as good as Koorathazhwan.

The conflict and bigotry ended with the death of Kirumi Kanda Chozhan. (Napolean in the film) Thereafter both the religions co-existed peacefully for a long time.
    Thanks for the fb, Gayathri.
    regards,

2. varalotti

Dear Gayu,
    Thanks for the fb. You are right. Ramanuja's words on hearing about Kooresan's action was, "namma dharshanathukke dharshanam thandutiye"
    dharshanam is philosophy. Not exactly so, but a way of life. Because philosophy for us Indians is way different from what it is for Westerners. For them it is just a view of life. For us it is a way of life. Ramanuja wonders that Kooresan's act has thrown beautiful light on his philosophy, of love, surrender, called Vishistadvaitha.

thanks for remembering that gayu. I will tell you another incident. When Rama and Sita were in the forest, an asura fell in love with Sita (not Ravana) and he took the form of a crow and assaulted the Jagan Matha on her breasts. Rama on seeing Sita's pain becomes furious and hits the crow with his arrow. The crow falls down near Rama's feet. Loka Matha, Jagan Matha, the very embodiment of love, from whom, the vile Asura had drawn blood, you know what she did? She turned the fallen crow herself in such a way that it would appear as if the crow had fallen at Rama's feet as his devotee.
    Then she told her husband,"Oh, Lord, now the bird has fallen at your feet. And now it is your duty to protect it."
    If we can just remember this incident at least once a day, our lives will be far better.
    They are bigots, idiots, fanatics and fools. They don't know a simple thing.That Shiva married Vishnu's sister. So Shiva is Vaishnavite Mappillai.
    I know a class of Veera Vaishnavas (I call them cowards). They would say that they won't run into a Shiva Temple even if a mad elephant were to chase them. And those people are precisely the ones who deserve to be killed by mad elephants. For they are madder than the beasts.
    regards,

3. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Dear Varalotti Sir,

Koorathazhwan not only prayed for the bliss of Naalooran, even for us. Though I know the history, it gave me pleasure reading it again.

But you have beautifully linked the "Concept of Love" with this divine history. As "True Love" is eternal, the people who possess it are also eternal and ever remembered. So is Sri Ramanuja and His disciples.

Though this "Concept of Love" is discussed in this forum at various places, the means of practicing "Love" is not discussed widely which is most important.

Homes in which people live in such a manner (in Love) really speaking are heavens on earth. They cannot be tarnished by ups and downs of life; they can remain unaffected and pure.

God is Love; live in Love.

4. Vidya Arun

Vidya Arun Senior IL'ite

Dear Sridhar

I had immense felicity reading your post and it was the same feeling when i watched the first 15mins of Dasavatharam. Infact i saw the movie thrice here in the theaters simply because of the admiration i have for Kamal. Love is bliss and you have brought out the point very well through your post.. It takes more to possess the heart of Koorathazhwan to ask the lord for the goodness of his enemy. Was really moved..I have listened to several stories like this from my thatha when i was young but your writings on Ramanujar and now Koorathazhwan and many more are a great influence on me. Infact i feel rejuvenated after reading such posts and feel like an embodiment of love atleast for a few mins. Thanks Sridhar..As Kamla said i dont really have to appreciate your work as i dont have that age yet.....You are a genious to bring out the significance of love in such a lifelike manner.These are great morals which should be excercised in our day to day life.

You are a great inspiration to me Sridhar. Thanks for all your kindness and love..Expecting more like this from you since its not so easy to dig our past...

Love
    Vidya

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  5. varalotti

Dear Vanaja,

Yours was the last one I read before I went to bed yesterday. I could not and did not want to respond to it immediately as I wanted to ruminate over what you have said. As they say in English novels, I slept over it.
    What disturbed me most was your words:

That is a very pertinent, pointed question Vanaja. Now my take on this million dollar question is something like this.

When it comes to love there is absolutely no dichotomy between the concept of love and the practice of love. It is not something which has to be conceived first and delivered after the due period of gestation. Love permeates our whole being. In its weakest form it just remains as an idle thought. At times when we walk on the road and see somebody hitting a stray dog for no reason. We see the dog and feel for it. But we do nothing and go about our way. Love is there but is in its weakest form. If love becomes stronger, then it overflows the mind and comes out as words. In the above example we might at least tell the offenders not to hit the dog and then go away. Finally when the love is so intense it comes out in action. We might act against the offenders and provide first aid to the dog.

In a way when love is just in the mind, we can say it is at a conceptual stage. And when it issues out in action, then it is practising of love. But this is only an intellectual surmise. Love is a wholesome feeling that permeates the whole being and depending on its intensity manifests as thoughts, words or actions. I need not emphasise here that action is not effort. Action is something that comes out on its own without the ego interfering. Whereas effort originates from the ego, more often from the thought, 'I will have to do something.'

The most eloquent support for my views comes from the beautiful tag line you have chosen for your signature.

Hands that serve are holier than lips that pray.

Lips that pray represent the first level of love. And from there we will have to grow up to the stage of, hands that serve, when love issues out in actions. For integrated persons like Koorathazhwan, Ramanujar love manifested through whatever they thought, spoke and did.

You always make me think Vanaja. And I can never thank you enough for that.
    regards,

6. varalotti

Dear Vidya,

Hope you are gearing up to see yourself on Monday Morning in ALS.
    During the first 15 minutes of Dasavatharam my mouth was chanting thiruvaimozhi on its own. Kamal could do a whole picture of Ramanuja. And when done at the scale of Dasavatharam, it would be the world's finest love story.

Thanks for all the kind words, Vidya. If I am an inspiration to you, your words of encouragement are inspiration to me. Thanks.

I want to say this on some puranic stories. We have heard many times that God appeared before the devotee and asks him what does he want. The devotee might ask something silly like not to die, or die only by a particular, unique process and so on.
    I have a basic doubt on all these. When God Herself appears before us, when the whole being of love is right in front of us, we will be melting in love, we will dissolve ourselves in Her love, that our ego might not exist to ask anything silly. At that point, simply because of the divine presence, we will raise in stature and love to Her level and then ask something in the nature of universal benevolence. When Kurathazhwan had not seen Varadharaja Perumal, he was planning to ask this, ask that as His guru had ordered him. But when he saw the Perarulaalan in his vision, he melted in love and asked a boon which only God can think of.
    Only people who are hard, insensitive, cruel and wicked can ask for a worldly boon from God when She appears before them. That's why our Puranas classify all of such people as demons, rakshasas and asuras.

Thanks once again Vidya for the fb.
    love,

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,
    I read this love story of Kurathazwar only today. I thought it is better late than to be never to post my FB. You are a wonderful story teller, whether it is Divine, religious or human love story. Hats off to you and wish that you write more of this kind so that our younger generation would be benifited.
    Love,
    PS

8. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear Indhu,

Thanks a lot for your lovely reply and your kind wishes ! Yes..what I've written before is 100% true Indhu..! :)

Regards
    Krithika

9. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Phenomenal !!

Dear Sridhar,

First thing in the morning...saw your explanation/take on love...it is absolutely a masterpiece !! Phenomenal !!

Could not be put in better words...!!

How true !! I am at a loss for words to appreciate this...amazing and really makes us wonder...you've analysed human mind/heart so well and more than that put it in the right words...it is truly an art !

Looking forward to more of your writings !

Regards
    Krithika

10. varalotti

Dear Pushpavalli,
    Your fb is like your blessing. I am moved by it. Thanks for the nice words. Yes, I will do as you have said.
    When I get an interval between two episodes I'll post something on the religious side. I have more material on Koorathazhwan which I will post soon.
    Thanks once again,
    Love,
    sridhar