1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dasavatharam, Koorathazhwan and Ramanujar – A Love Story Again!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Enlightening !!

Dear Sridhar,

First, hats off to you for venturing into these reverent topics and explaining to us in a simple style, yet with meticulous details !

You are absolutely right about the opening scene...transports us right back to that century..and I was totally taken aback..that even before the advent of Muslim kings' rule in India...there was something to fight about .. between the same religion..Hinduism...

Having said that, implicit Guru Bhakthi is something I've experienced and it brings a deep contentment and happiness that can only be felt and not explained !!

You've made me very emotional by reading this wonderful story about Ramanujam and Koorathazhwan ! Thanks for shedding more light into this !

Ultimate in Guru Bhakthi !!

Really wish all of us could be so forgiving towards each other !

Guess you have so much love/affection in your heart that takes wings and flies into our hearts (readers). You've depicted different forms of love...between guru & disciple, husband & wife, lovers, sisters, father & daughter, God & devotee...(that is as far as I've gathered)...need to delve into your other stories to discover other facets !

Sure, at this juncture, I need to give a major portion of your credit to your wife (indusri). Cause only if one's love is encouraged and nurtured can it blossom and multiply and become capable of impressing/moving the readers so much !! :)

In order to compensate for making us wait for ALS, you've given a bonus with this story...but it has turned to a big bounty !! :) Thanks !

Now this has hiked our expectations for the 3rd episode !! All the best !

Regards
    Krithika

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  2. indhusri

indhusri Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sridhar ,
    The opening scene in the movie ‘ Dhasaavathaaram ‘ was so excellent that even after the scene was over , tears were rolling down my cheeks uncontrollably ! Its not only due to kamal’s wonderful acting but also due to the emotional song “ kallai matum kaNdaal kadavul theriyaadhu” sung by our Great Hariharan ! He gave life to the scene through his majestic voice , I would say ! :2thumbsup: The same impact , I had after reading your story about Koorathaazhwar & Ramanujar ! :bowdown
    Koorathazhwar & periambi ‘s guru bhakthi was really great ! Ramunujar was really lucky to have such genuine sishyaas !

I see the true form of love in koorathaazhwar !Bow

To love even our enemies is the greatest lesson we learn from his life -history & the readers will definitely follow this virtue in future ( me , one for sure ! )

Your narrating style is simple ,yet very powerful , sridhar ! A very nice write up !
    Love ,
    Indhu.

Dear Jithiks ,
    Thanks for giving me the major portion of the credit ! Don’t know whether I 'm worthy of all your praising words ! Thanks ,once again ! I like your style of writing ! Keep it up ! :thumbsup
    Love & wishes ,
    Indhu.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  3. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar sir,
    Thank you so much for writing about Koorathazhwan, Periyanambi and Ramanujar. I enjoyed reading about them. I would not have known about story if I had not read your post. I greatly appreciate, Periyanambi and Koorathazhwan for their Guru Bhakthi.

Thanks again for posting this wonderful story!

4. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Sir,

Such a wonderful story !!! True love , unadulterated, selfless in its truest form. It is a beautiful lesson for all .If only we can wish for happiness for others the way Koorathazhwan asked for the minister, wow wouldnt this world be blissful?

Sir you have under taken the noble task of spreading the message of love in its various forms. I salute you for that, a thousand times! And I think that Love is the most essential need .It was, is and always will be the primary necessity among all forms of existence. Human and animals .

The story is very beautiful spanning through many years but it is your narratory style that keeps us so involved with it that as we read we can identify and feel the gamut of emotions passing through us.

Love for the Guru is always taught to us as children ," Acharya Devo Bhava", but it is only a few like Koorathazhawan and Periambi who reinstil the importance of it.May we all be blessed with the capacity to love others so much without any ulterior motive and with only the need to love so as to help us to grow within us the capacity to love more.

Thankyou once again Sir, A wonderful post , a lovely lesson!

Love,
    Your Mol

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  5. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar Sir,

One more to our bouquet !!! Enjoyed reading....

Oru clarification : Whether it is a story or a real incident happened in the past ? Whatever may be the case, it is too good through your words and an opportunity to learn a lot.

You writings reflected how an individual should be selfless and plain hearted bounded by true love/affection...

Beautiful wordings : " Religion and God are all about love, the highest kind of love, which does not hold anything for itself, the highest love which does not have a place for hatred or evil.”

Admired the character Koorathazhwan and Periyanambi and their Guru bakhti. Guru - they are our guiding stars in our lives. At times, the form of Guru may differ - it can be a Teacher, mother, father, Grandfather,..... still they guide us and respecting (abiding) them in our walks of life is the bakhti we have for them.

Well written and narrated !! Enjoyed ( learning ) through your words...

Waiting for the 3rd episode eagerly ..... All the best !!

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sridhar,
    The incident you had narrated here about Kurathaazhwar and Periyanambi, is the perfect eg for Guru Bhakthi and also for the love for the fellow human beings, even if that person is bad in his own way...
    True..true religion and true love....asks nothing for itself and wishes only the well-being of the fellow humans.
    Inna seidhaarai oruththal, avar naana nannayam seidhu vidal....this is what told in Thirukkural, isn't it...

sriniketan

7. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Thank you for enlightening me with the story of Koorathazhvar, Periyanambi and Ramanujar.
    I did not about this story until now. Koorathazhvar is a true example of selfless love and devotion to Guru.

You have narrated very well!

8. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    After seeing Dashavataram and the first scene, i guess we all do get transported to that era and the LOVE in a bhaktha's heart that he was willing to be tortured and give up his life. I second Indhu in the fact that Hariharan's voice and Kamal's acting did have an effect on all rasikas!
    I am sure Kamal also was inspired by the selfless acts of Ramanujar and his Disciples.....Glad that you brought out the story in such simple form and with your interpretation on Love and Religion.....i guess we have to start digging into our vast treasure from the past and give it a new SHINE meaning interpretations for this modern world and for the younger generation......
    You have taken this duty of educating very well, so we can also share and pass it on!....that becomes our duty now!Bow

9. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lalitha,
    Your bowing down on the net is accepted again as a courier boy. That bow down will be delivered to Ramanujar, Koorathazhwan, Peria Nambi, Varadharajan and Renganathar.

You hit the nail on its head, Lalitha. It was only when I was telling Prahalada Sarithiram to my daughter some 12,15 years ago that I came to know the depth of our stories and traditions. I can now write a whole book on Prahalada Story alone. And I did write a whole chapter on Prodigal Son, the bible story in my religious book.

We are careful to preserve our father's and grandfather's wealth and hand it over to our children and grandchildren. And we have a much greater responsibility in handing over these rich traditions to our descendants.

Do tell this story to your daughters and let us know how they took it. I was moved to tears when you wrote to me that your daughter shed tears hearing about Thirupaanazhwar.

Thanks for the prayer, Lalitha. Whatever story I know and I come to know, believe me I'll definitely share with all my GFs here in IL.
    Thanks for being the first to give fb on this post.
    love,

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  10. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamla,
    Apart from the nice friendship we have, I share a very unique relationship with you. See, you read my stories. And then you also come in my stories. Having taken your character in the story I am now taking all pains to ensure that the character reflects you,to the extent I know you through IL.
    (You think that ALS reply has come here by mistake. No. I was engrossed in Episode 3 and hence this remark)

At this point I need to issue a caveat, my dear friend. I take the incidents from standard texts and then with a typical writer's liberty,I pen the screen play and dialogues without conflicting with the available evidence.

I will try to bring out as much of old stories as possible especially when I get a breathing time between two episodes. But I don't foresee that kind of a time, as the future episodes are going to demand a lot of debating and discussion.
    Love,