1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Danielle Steel's Books

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by cheer, Mar 27, 2007.

1. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,

So last weekend i finished "Answered Prayer", i really liked the novel wonderful, although the background of the novel is based on american's, but it really fits to us (Indian Ladies especially), good & really worth of reading.

And now i requested for "Bittersweet", i'll let all know abt it later. I tried for Daddy too but it's not available right now. So maybe later on.

2. nehaathalye

nehaathalye New IL'ite

hi

this is Neha from Bombay , i hv just registered with this site, i came accross with ur thread, even i hv read the same book , just to share with u , its indeed a good novel to read, u must hv tried Daddy of Danniel Steel .

regards
    Neha

3. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

I Just finished reading "Bittersweet" another great one, here is the summary

In Bittersweet, Danielle Steel has written a novel for our times, a story of choices and new beginnings.

India Taylor lived in a world of manicured lawns and neatly maintained calendars: a merry-go-round of Little League, piano lessons, and Cape Cod summer vacations. With four wonderful children, India believed in commitment and sacrifice, just as she believed in Doug, the man she married 17 years before. For India, this was the promise she made, the life she had chosen--not the award-winning career as a photojournalist she once had. It was a choice she had never truly regretted. Until she begins to regret it with all her heart.

India couldn't pinpoint the exact moment. Perhaps it was the last time her agent called, begging her to take an assignment Doug insisted she turn down. Or perhaps it was when Doug told her he thought of her as a companion and someone to take care of their kids, and not much more. At that moment, the price of the sacrifices she'd made began to seem high.

And then, she met Paul Ward. A Wall Street tycoon married to a bestselling author, Paul lived life on his own terms, traveling the world on his own yacht. India hadn't planned to become Paul's friend. Anything more was unthinkable. Yet talking to Paul was so easy. India could share her dreams with him, and offer comfort when Paul suffers a heartbreak of his own. And while Paul urges India to reclaim her career, Doug is adamantly against it, determined to keep her tied to the home. But with Paul's encouragement, India slowly, painfully, begins to break free, and find herself again.

Rediscovering her creativity and her courage, India uses Paul like a beacon on the horizon, sharing intimate phone conversations with a man half a world away, a man who never stops reminding her of all that is possible for her. India is changing, and nothing in her life will ever be the same again. Not her marriage. Not her friendship with Paul. And when India is presented with an irresistible opportunity, she makes a heart-wrenching decision, leaving a safe, familiar place-and the people she loves there-to move into the terror of the unknown.

Bittersweet is her story, a story of freedom, of having dreams and making choices to find them. With unerring insight, Danielle Steel has created a moving portrait of a woman who dares to embark on a new adventure and the man who helps her get there. Her painful, exhilarating journey inspires us all.

4. sene

sene New IL'ite

I have read quite a few of her books. She is absolutely wonderful. Creates good plots and writes in a way which captures the reader's imagination.
    After reading the review of this book, I have to read it..Thx!!

5. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

First of all thanx for recommending me "Daddy", really a wonderful & great story line. This weekend i finised it:2thumbsup: . Here is the summary for those who would like to read-

Oliver Watson's world suddenly dissolves around him when Sarah his wife of eighteen years, returns to Harvard to get her master's degree. Oliver is left on his own, with three children and a freedom he never wanted and doesn't completely understand. His family's needs and demands suddenly consume his life.

When Oliver's mother is diagnosed as having Alzheimer's disease and dies soon thereafter, Oliver's father's life is changed as well. Braver than his son with less of a future before him, George Watson, at seventy-two, quickly embraces new relationships and, eventually, a new life. The sudden changes come as a shock to both father and son.

Ben, Oliver's oldest son, rejects his father and reaches outward, under the illusion that he is grown-up and can make it on his own. Melissa, the middle child, blames Oliver for her mother's desertion. And Sam, the "baby," is too shaken to deal with it at all. Now the only parent, Daddy must somehow cope this, his troubled family and explore a world of new responsibilities, new women, and new experiences.

Each of the three men must start a new life: Oliver in New York and then in Los Angeles with his children; once he faces the biggest change in his life; his widowed father with the woman next door; and seventeen-year-old Ben with his girlfriend and baby. Nothing is as it was before... nothing is as they once thought it would be. But in the end, different is better... different is more... for each of them -- and especially for "Daddy".

6. harinivijay

harinivijay New IL'ite

hi all,
    i've just finished " answered prayers " . its a good novel indeed. the role of faith suits with most of indian women . the role of brad, alex and brad's wife are well epicted .even the2nd daughter's role is highly motivational to faith. the mental agony she undergoes gives hope here to me, to do better in life if u have dream and a faith for the dream .
    good recommendations ladies!

now got the book" bitter sweet" . will post my comments on it soon.

harini

7. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear Harini,

Nice to hear u liked "answered prayers", it was really a great novel. Hope u'll going to enjoy "bittersweet" too.

Very soon I'm going to start reading "Heartbeat", will let u know abt it.

Happy Reading:wave

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi meena,

I second daddy. it is very good. then there is family. then ring... then ..... it goes on.

love,
    shanthi

9. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

I just finished another danielle's books "Silent Honor", i liked it. Really showed a great tragedy at the time of 2nd world war & how Japanese living in US faced it. Here is the story line-

In her 38th bestselling novel, Danielle Steel creates a powerful, moving portrayal of families divided, lives shattered and a nation torn apart by prejudice during a shameful episode in recent American history.

A man ahead of his time, Japanese college professor Masao Takashimaya of Kyoto had a passion for modern ideas that was as strong as his wife's belief in ancient traditions. It was the early 1920s and Masao had dreams for the future—and a fascination with the politics and opportunities of a world that was changing every day. Twenty years later, his eighteen-year-old daughter Hiroko, torn between her mother's traditions and her father's wishes, boarded the SS Nagoya Maru to come to California for an education and to make her father proud. It was August 1941.

From the ship, she went directly to the Palo Alto home of her uncle, Takeo, and his family. To Hiroko, California was a different world—a world of barbeques, station wagons and college. Her cousins in California had become more American than Japanese. And much to Hiroko's surprise, Peter Jenkins, her uncle's assistant at Stanford, became an unexpected link between her old world and her new. But in spite of him, and all her promises to her father, Hiroko longs to go home. At college in Berkeley, her world is rapidly and unexpectedly filled with prejudice and fear.

On December 7, Pearl Harbor is bombed by the Japanese. Within hours, war is declared and suddenly Hiroko has become an enemy in a foreign land. Terrified, begging to go home, she is nonetheless ordered by her father to stay. He is positive she will be safer in California than at home, and for a brief time she is—until her entire world caves in.

On February 19, Executive Order 9066 is signed by President Roosevelt, giving the military the power to remove the Japanese from their communities at will. Takeo and his family are given ten days to sell their home, give up their jobs, and report to a relocation center, along with thousands of other Japanese and Japanese Americans, to face their destinies there. Families are divided, people are forced to abandon their homes, their businesses, their freedom, and their lives. Hiroko and her uncle's family go first to Tanforan, and from there to the detention center at Tule Lake. This extraordinary novel tells what happened to them there, creating a portrait of human tragedy and strength, divided loyalties and love. It tells of Americans who were treated as foreigners in their own land. And it tells Hiroko's story, and that of her American family, as they fight to stay alive amid the drama of life and death in the camp at Tule Lake.

With clear, powerful prose, Danielle Steel portrays not only the human cost of that terrible time in history, but also the remarkable courage of a people whose honor and dignity transcended the chaos that surrounded them. Set against a vivid backdrop of war and change, her thirty-eighth bestselling novel is both living history and outstanding fiction, revealing the stark truth about the betrayal of Americans by their own government...and the triumph of a woman caught between cultures and determined to survive.

4 people like this.
  10. snivi84

snivi84 Bronze IL'ite

Hello....Nice to see that many ppl are Danielle Steel fans out here...
    I have also read several books by Danielle Steel....
    My most favourite book by Danielle Steel is 'Kaleidoscope'
    Do read it if u have not read it yet...
    Answered Prayers and Lightning by Danielle Steel are good ones too

1 person likes this.