1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dance Therapy-a reflection

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kanaka, Dec 31, 2007.

1. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

I am much familiar with the therpautic effect of music.
    A few moments ago there was a live discussion on dance as therapy in Lok Sabha channel.
    A lady dancer was interviewed followed by online discussion.
    I always find there is always some special identity for professional dancers. They are creative even in their exteriors. We can always guess a dancer. I feel they develop a different kind of mannerism- I mean positivel.
    Coming to the programme the artist said" Dance should never be a hobby. It is a very serious affair which needs concentration devotion. The degree of spirituality in this form can never tolerate an easy go attitude.
    One Ms Aditi from B'glore said it is meditation. Refreshes the mind. She being engaged with physically handicapped children has found curative mental effects. On her analysis, the children become more self confident with this therapy. Become very proactive to their disabilities. I felt much excited after this programme. So thought of putting my thoughts.
    This in no way disrespects Music therapy.
    Unless somebody mentions X Y Z to be a musician it is not known. Here their physical and mental frame indicates taht he/she may be a dancer.
    These are my ideas. One may or may not subscribe to this. Please comment.:party:party:party

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi kanaka,

Dance is a kind of penance. as you said we can identify a dancer, because, the rigourous practice, brings in a grace that stays with them even when they are not performing.

Yes, now dancing is being used as a medium to communicate with special children.

note shobana, chitra, sonal, malikka sarabhai, the grace, the way they move thier hands, eyes definitely brings out the identity.

Lok sabha really has nice discussion on the public forum. and you can watch very nice programs in the ugc-cec in the early morning.

I respect art in all forms...

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I truly believe that both light singing and dancing are highly therapeutic
    My husband loves to sing songs in karoake music so sometimes i sing with him too
    soooooo relaxing
    the same with dance
    I dont know any formal dance but in any parties if theres music and dance I like to dance to the music its very relaxing and lots of fun too
    Thanks for sharing

4. MadhuRao

MadhuRao Silver IL'ite

do u know dance aerobics...how to learn and where to learn...are there any useful links to this ...i want to learn...i am zero in dancing and feel embrassed when partying

5. swethakrishnan

swethakrishnan Senior IL'ite

Dear Kanaka Ma'am
    I totally agree with you. Being a classical dancer myself, I know the nuances of the great art form. It requires a whole lot of dedication and commitment. They say it is equal to prayer and a path to attain salvation. Its effects are immense. I have learned this item called 'Ulagam Pugazhum Naattiya Kalayai' in which the writer talks about all the different effects that dance has on the dancer and the audience as well.
    'Paarpavar Manadhil Kavalaigal Irundhaal
    Parandhodum Maaraadha Imbam Tharum'
    This is my favourite line in the song. Dance makes the audience forget all their worries and elevates them to a different world giving them immense happiness. It gives a great amount of satisfaction when you know that you have rid others of pain through your dance.

Dance has also made me a complete person. I can empathise with others (as we are used to performing roles of different characters on stage). I'm quite a confident person ... thanks to the many dance shows that I've done. Apart from that, dance is a stress buster. Whether you dance yourself or watch a programme or any other dance show, you feel refreshed and energised. Not only Bharathanatyam, any kind of dance will have the same effect.

These are my views ... thanks for starting such a thread ...

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  6. Rodrigo

Rodrigo New IL'ite

Hmmm really like swethakrishnan's post he really tells us in a very good way about the dance therapy a reflection so many new thing in this discussion thanks guys for sharing such a wonderful post......

7. shambavi2000

shambavi2000 Silver IL'ite

hi

there's a Nritya Prerna School of Bharatnatyam which offers dance as a therapy for Parkinsons, ADHD,autism, difficulties in motor skills, auditory and visual abilities etc. Truly a great marriage of Art and Science.