1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Daily Routine

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Jul 6, 2016.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

The other day a friend was telling me she was missing her daily routine. This was due to some health problems. We agreed that we take our daily routine for granted. Sometimes we even feel life is one monotonous routine, doing the same things day in and day out. Time flies. We understand the importance of our routine when we are not able to follow it.

These thoughts came to mind when I saw my father-in-law still following his daily routine; morning bath, prayers, breakfast, going to the areca garden, picking fallen areca and so on. He is 91. Other than poor eyesight in one eye he is able to do what he has been doing for years. The words ‘blessed routine’ came to mind. At his age health problems might have made it impossible for him to follow his routine. He has been an agriculturist all his life. Even now he goes to his areca garden to pick ripe areca nuts and bring them back. Touch wood.

Other than our basic routines we change many of our daily activities as we grow with life. Some interests remain a part of our lives and others we discard. We take our daily routines so much for granted that we do not even realize when they stopped being a part of our lives. One day we think, ‘when did we stop doing that?’

The words ‘blessed routine’ turned my thoughts to my father. He has dementia and is bed ridden since February. He is not able to speak now but he understands when my mother speaks to him. She is there for him, speaking to him, reading to him. He is lucky to have the loving support of my brother and family. My father is 85. He had a regular routine which he followed without fail. My father may not have stopped his daily routines by choice, he must have forgotten about them for a few days. They remained forgotten. He had subscribed by mail The New York Times. He used to enjoying reading it. I remember my mother telling me last year that he was not checking his mail or even switching on the computer. He had started telling he could not remember how to connect. We thought this was due to his failing eyesight. My father has always been a quiet person, going about his work quietly. Every morning he used to do floor exercises. Crosswords and Sudoku were an important part of his daily life. He stopped crosswords first. His daily routine was being taken away from him. I don’t know whether he ever thought about it. We will never know.

Our daily routines are blessed routines because they make it possible for us to be what we are till the end. This makes me think of all those places in the world where there is so much violence. It is like a daily routine there. Violence for the sake of violence has been and will always be a part of human life. A sad truth. Definitely not blessed routine.

bmaquarius, kcb, shobhamma and 7 others like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Normally it is said that those who do sudoku puzzles or Cross words do not get afflicted by dementia.After 50 years, one gets tired of daily routine and they skip it off one by one.Disinterestedness leads to weaning away from habits and naturally forgetfulness results.My father taught American history and Indian history and he worked in a private school until he was 84.( He had 6 daughters to be given in marriage)But his later years were marked by forgetfulness.He never forgot the details of history including the dates of various wars, but he forgot the names of his own children and grand children,He lived upto 95.

Jayasala 42

KashmirFlower and satchitananda like this.
  3. LakshmiKMBhat

Yes, it is said those who are mentally and physically active have less chances of getting dementia. My father was mentally and physically active. We have no answer to why he got dementia. In the end we say it is luck, whatever is in store for us will happen. But of course, we have to do our best, keep ourselves active and have our own interests. Thank you, Lakshmi

KashmirFlower likes this.
  4. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear LakshmiKBhat,

Sorry to know about your father and I marvel at your father in law. There is nothing much your father could have done. He is struck by an illness no one would wish to invite.

Regarding violence, I think it is a different kind of problem. It is not linked to daily routine. I mean even the terrorists don't practise killing innocent humans on a daily basis. Of course, certain other kinds of violence are a way of life in many families. Think about the way daughters in law are abused in many families from morning till night. This is a form of violence in which pretty polite societies indulges. No one identifies such families with terrorism.

oj

KashmirFlower and satchitananda like this.
  5. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Some times one's daily routine gets changed - now my DIL runs completely and competently all the household chores. The market work is divided between her and my Husband of 79 years -that is his daily routine part.
    So Now my daily routine is sitting on the computers and going out in the afternoon to meet some senior citizens .
    I have many hobbies too and attend to them according to whim.
    In a way my daily routine is No Daily Routine! Lucky Me!

LakshmiKMBhat and satchitananda like this.
  6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshmi
    "Other than our basic routines we change many of our daily activities as we grow with life." Very true. In fact, this line of yours is enough to provide food for many snippets! Being in my mid-70's, I can relate to this easily. To tell you the truth, even the basic physiological routines undergo a change as we grow older. Like Amitabh Bachchan in the movie 'Piku', my dad also became overly obsessed with his constipation during his final years. He was never tired of telling his close ones how regular his bowel movements used to be and that it was as though someone had cast his evil eyes, he was suffering from constipation now! His mind was fully occupied by his bowel that refused to move!

Strangely our routine stabilises only after we retire when less and less demand is made on our time by others. My daughters make sure that nothing interferes with my routine even if it is laughably silly. My grand children have been told not to disturb me when I am engaged in my routine. And they never realise that I follow my routine while eagerly waiting for them to disturb me.
    Sri

7. LakshmiKMBhat

Yes, that is why I did not specify terrorism. Emotional and physical violence takes place all over the world, in families or in society. Some we come to know others we do not. We were shocked to read about the MBBS students who threw the dog down just for the fun of it.
    Thank you, Lakshmi

ojaantrik likes this.
  8. LakshmiKMBhat

I
    I am glad you are enjoying the computer and the internet Shobhamma madam. I am 54 and some of my friends say they cannot understand the internet. I tell them to please learn but they hesitate. Thank you, Lakshmi

9. LakshmiKMBhat

Thank you Cheeniya
    Thank you Cheeniya Sir. I have seen that as people grow older they are very much worried about their bowel movements. Las year due to constipation my father's sodium level went down and was admitted to the hospital. At that time there were other senior citizens with the same problem in the hospital. I always enjoy your posts and replies. Regards, Lakshmi

Cheeniya likes this.
  10. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Nice write up @LakshmiKMBhat ......good to know about your FIL.

I am sorry for your dad, hope he recovers soon and comes back to his daily routine.