1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dahi hota hai ya hoti hai?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mansibhatia, Oct 25, 2010.

1. mansibhatia

mansibhatia New IL'ite

This one is for Hindi speaking individuals -- for those of you who aren't native Hindi speakers, I'm sure you'll find the following post amusing (weigh in if you'd like with examples in your own native language).

For many years there has been a raging debate in my house. Is dahi (yogurt) male or female?

Growing up, I always knew dahi to be a cool female.

She would spend her time in the metal container changing form overnight thanks to her helper bacteria friends.

From a dripping liquid to a silk, smooth satiny texture, she would appear transformed in the mornings.

I despised her virginity, though.

I always needed to embellish her ... Chopped cucumber, tomatoes, onions, a dash of red chilling powder, roasted cumin and salt, and boy, did she go from cool cat to snapping hot vixen. Muaah!

When I got married, my husband insisted she was a he.

It's always been a he, he'd say.

Whosoever thinks of dahi as a female? He's robust, he makes you strong(er). How could I mistake his velvety coolness and power-packed muscle-building qualities for effeminate virtues?

He was to be savored stark. No sugar, no salt. Just enjoyed simply with veggies and rice.

When the debate got really intense, my husband would always quiet me with: Dahi comes from doodh (milk) ... And doodh is male, right? You don't say "doodh khatam ho gayi" (there is no milk), do you?

Hmm...no. Doodh is male. Sure. But...Doodh isn't dahi. And "lassi (made from dahi) meethi hoti hai" would be my retort.

I've never won the argument, but I've also continued to fight it. I've found many supporters ... People who, like me, consider dahi to be female. But so has my husband. Right now our camps seem equally divided.

So, I'm taking this domestic dispute to the interwebs in hopes of a final resolution. Take the poll and add your comment. Come back to view the results (when the voting closes) on Friday, October 29.

2. delicate

delicate Bronze IL'ite

dahi hota hai.
    i am totally urdu speaking and lives in Pakistan and their people say us we are Hindustani. (who are totally urdu speaking)
    and i have read everywhere. dahi hota hai. :)

3. mansibhatia

mansibhatia New IL'ite

Thanks, delicate. But do you know why...?

4. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi. What an interesting topic re!

Becos it is often said that while buttermilk gives coolness to the body and dahi is heat, I would call dahi to be masculine!!!!

If you are really serious to know the gender of dahi (I know u r not), there are umpteen websites found to be discussing this if you do a google search.

I really loved your style of writing dear!

Whether dahi is he or she, everyone enjoys it na? Lets make dahi neutral and universal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

I feel dahi is male, because in dahi itself he is there. Lets see what others have to say

6. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

why just stopping with curd and milk. I ALWAYS get confused with the gender-based words and thus dare to speak in hindi! :(
    reg. dahi - i think milk is feminine bcoz it comes from cow (wah!) and she is the one who is transforming herself to dahi. just like any woman transforming herself to be a mom to her husband! so dahi is feminine.

7. mansibhatia

mansibhatia New IL'ite