1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dad is having an affair, help!!!

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Confusedsoul, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Confusedsoul

Confusedsoul New IL'ite

I never thought I would be facing such a situation as this. I was recently fiddling with my dad's mobile and found a lot of intimate messages in it. After doing a bit of investigation, I found the name of the woman he is having an affair with. The worst part is he is a father of a 26 year old daughter and 25 year old son. I shudder to think what would happen if my mom and sis come to know about this.

I'm feeling terrible since I saw those messages and I'm not sure how to handle this. I'm in a dilemma whether I should confront my dad or talk to that woman and tell her to stay away from him. I'm really not comfortable of talking to my dad about this. What should I do? Please suggest me.

-Sanjay

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Tricky and Messy situation this! Not sure what is the best course of action...
    Well, I think someone has to talk to him to get things clarified.

Make sure you are quite sure of what you are suspecting first. Then go out with your Dad to somewhere you can get privacy and have a 1-1 talk with him. Be clear but STAY CALM during the conversation.

Do not try to have conversation with the "other woman" - that will be the worst thing you can do at this stage. Better to have a 1-1 with your Dad first.

Your Dad may scream at you for having "read his messages". But in this sort of situation - if he is indeed having an affair - then that privacy violation takes a lower priority than what he has done. As I said this is messy, and its hard to avoid all the messiness when you start getting into it.

Leave your Mom out of this for now. Take it one step at a time. If your sis is a stable person, you may want to consult with her. But if she is the fly-off-the-handle types, leave her out for now.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  3. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

double posted

4. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Spiderman, Sanjay is that brother, I think.

Sanjay,
    As Spiderman says, talk to your dad first. Keep your emotions in control - I know is hard but you have to handle with care. Your mom and sis need not know fo now until you and your dad have a calm talk. Take it like a man to man talk rather father-son.

Find out from him if he is still serious about the relation or he strayed for a moment of weakness. As you both talk you will come to know the next course of actions. It is a tough situation.. I am very sorry to hear.. Hope you get to solve it the better way possible.

5. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi Sanjay,
    Is the other woman someone you/your family knows? Talk with dad first like Mstru and SpiderMan said..calm collective manner. If he doesn't tell you anything, ask the other woman... keep mom and sis out for it until you get some answers.
    All the best!
    O woman!

6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

thanks mst...i corrected my post now.

7. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

Though I dont have an answer as to what you have to do but definitely you dont go and speak to that lady.

This makes the family environment nasty. Hope you sort it out successfully.

8. sarma

sarma Senior IL'ite

Sanjay,

Before you get drastic, is this just some kinda flirting or do you think that there is real physical stuff?

Before you go nuts, read up some stuff about middle age crisis etc.

http://www.infidelityfacts.com/infidelity-statistics.html

Before you decide try some role playing (in your mind) of the following scenarios and it may help you with some guidance for your family situation and the players involved.

• If you were in your dad's shoes how would you want your son to deal with this kinda thing?
    • And if you were to do something like this later, how would your dad deal with you.

9. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

What were you doing fiddling with your dad's mobile phone ( read invasion of privacy) and how are you so sure your dad is having an affair? Do you have any proof other than some text messages?

10. Confusedsoul

Confusedsoul New IL'ite

I'm sure he is having an affair. I have been thinking about talking to him as you suggested, but I'm afraid of the consequences. I'm not sure how he would react and the relationship between my dad and me wouldn't be the same anymore. That's why I thought may be I should talk to that woman. As you said, talking to that woman might make things worse and I'm aware of it.

I would NEVER want my mom and sis to know about this. I was just thinking aloud in my OP, what if my sis had come to know about this instead of me. And my sister is quite emotional and she would make this a bigger issue.