1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dad is atheist, I am not.....

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by adara, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Adara, Your mom gave you the answer here. Next time when he questions WHY ? Simply say, because I feel good / happy doing it. If he questions again, you simply reply, not everything that makes me happy can be explained or be understood by you. Your happiness is DIFFERENT from mine.

See, no matter what explaination you give him about " why " you do rituals, he is simply going to brainstorm you, since he has no clue too !
    So, sometimes, mock and give him an explaination and say, Like you understand. You have no clue.

A taste of his medicine. I dont understand also, why you need an appreciation from him, about something he doesnt like. Howver, since you know it too, there is no justification for why you expect him to
    ' understand ' you ! :) He doesnt know and doesnt want to, even, Adara. Simple. So, dont bother.

2. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Preethi and Priya for your responses.

I recollect one incident and I feel like sharing with you here.

During karthika masam, mom and grandma would wake up early and perform some rituals. We used to sleep in the main hall then. We were kids and early morning the sound of puja bell, water, mom cooking would disturb us and we would grumble. Dad would mock saying " Why do you both want to disturb HIM this early in the morning? Let Him sleep, It is so cold outside, Neither you will sleep, nor you will allow Him to sleep......Oh!man! this whole month, He sure will be cursing you guys, if at all He is there".

To all this, mom and grandma would give a deaf ear but we kids would enjoy dads word back then since he was talking for our convenience too.

Now, I feel bad when dad says "OK so you also joined this bandwagon".

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

It is very difficult to change someone at this age. So, the only thing I can think of is, "Daddy I know you mean well when you say things about productivity and all. But this is what makes me happy. I would really appreciate if you could stop questioning me about these religious things".

something in those lines. see if it helps. You dont have to tell sternly, just tell gently.

4. priya g

priya g Senior IL'ite

I kind of like your dad...just like me, always questioning, but now that I know how the other person feels, after reading your posts- I will keep my opinions to myself! But I still like your father...:biglaugh