1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cycle!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Dec 4, 2013.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Well, It seems that your father's love had prevented you to learn cycling, ChillBreeze. But then, that incident had left a strong impression in you. Thats more valuable. The good news is that you can learn even now if you wish to and feel that you are missing it. Thanks for your feedback. -rgs

2. rgsrinivasan

You were quite right Syamala, both in saying about our childhood and the way my kid thought. He told me to buy one and if I did not get one, offered a ride with me in the back. I did a mock sitting and he was immediately saying the instructions that we poured in to him earlier. With a kid, you will sure hear what you said, with much force. Thanks very much for your feedback. -rgs

3. rgsrinivasan

Its quite a surprise to get your feedback DeepaRajesh. Thanks a lot for that. And yes, those memories of learning and falling and scolding and finally, riding on our own followed by learning to balance while taking one in the pillion - seem to be forever etched in us. Thanks a lot for your feedback and happy mentoring. -rgs

4. swathiiyer

swathiiyer Silver IL'ite

That was a beautiful post n nostalgic.... Even we used to ride in that hired cycles... N when we used to return 15 minutes late, the cycle shop used to ask for more money n we used to say, abhi bas kya uncle...

Same like you, even we bought a cycle for our son when he was 3 yr old... Thn slowly we removed the two back supporting wheels... Just last yr for his bday, we bought him a big cycle n i do t have to mention the status of that cycle gigglingsmiley.. He was under the impression that every year for his bday his dad will buy him a new cycle... :rotflSo this bday, when he asked my DH for a new cycle, my DH was like waitingsmiley

I liked the last line where your cute son wanted you to buy one cycle for yourself... How sweet of him...

loved it..

1 person likes this.
  5. rgsrinivasan

Thanks SwatiIyer, for your nice feedback. You son asking for a new cycle for every birthday, made me smile. We are the ones who give them the idea, blow it so big and make it look like a big present. And we crib later on, when they start expecting. Isn't it? Btw, I am very much in the initial stages of parenting and now understanding the boomerang effect, not just in words and actions, but also in expectations...

Thanks again. -rgs

1 person likes this.
  6. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

Lovely post! very nostalgic. I totally relate to it. Learning cycle was one the happiest experience in my life. I was a late learner too. I still remember those days when i desperately wanted to skip school just to spend more time learning to ride bicycle!

1 person likes this.
  7. Marun

Marun Platinum IL'ite

Ahh.... hour cycles!!!! Good old days. Yes, we didn't have much options during our time. That's the time when gear cycles were introduced costed 4K which was expensive at that time. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. rgsrinivasan

Same pinch Fencesitter. I was offended more then, because kids who were then younger than me, rode well, but I was struggling to balance. I decided to give it a go when I spent one full saturday [bt 10 - 5.30] to learn it. My supportive friends quit supporting me then. Happy to receive a first from you. Thanks buddy. -rgs

9. rgsrinivasan

True. We used to be awed seeing even one cycle of that "mountain gear" type with bent handle-bars and the guys who rode it would beam and pedal away fast, seeing us. Alas, now 4k seems to be the price of a kid cycle. How time flies and how much worth money has lost these days! Thanks very much for your feedback. Happy to receive two in a row. -rgs

10. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

RGS,
    I'm one of those who never quite got the hang of riding a cycle! When I think back,I find it funny that none of us ever asked our parents for a cycle,for that matter anything much! Maybe we felt instinctively that my dad would get what we wanted,but at the cost of something else more important..I would like to think that way,makes me feel so self-righteous! Anyway,my younger sister did ask for a cycle and my dad got a second-hand adult mens' cycle.I tried,but my feet couldn't even reach the ground,me being the shorty.After a few failed attempts and bruises,the cycle was relegated to rustdom! When we moved,it was given away to someone.

Turn to present,we got a basic cycle for my daughter(pink,of course) last year.She is like me,rarely asks for something,so when she does,we rush to oblige! The happiness on her face was priceless!

We have a lot of reasonable choices here,haven't checked out the prices in India.I can imagine what the cost would be though.I got the shock of my life when I went out to buy veggies this summer in India...went with few hundreds and came back with 2 Rs. change!! True,no value for the currency!

1 person likes this.