1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting board

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by soumyasen, Jul 3, 2009.

1. soumyasen

soumyasen New IL'ite

Dear friends,

I am interested to buy wooden cutting board. But my friend is saying it may have cleaning problem. Do we need to buy nay wood cleaning liquid. Please share your opinions.

Thank you..

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have several medium size plastic boards that I use for daily cutting and then I put them in the dishwasher to sanitize. I have a wooden board that I use only for breads (western bread/dabal roti) that are not oily etc thus keeping them clean. I have several nice big butcher block type wooden boards that my dad made but I don't use due to bacteria concerns.

3. Sanmithra

Sanmithra Bronze IL'ite

I am using the wooden cutting board. I don't see any problems in cleaning. It is of chinese brand and made out of Bamboo. I brought in one the Indian stores. I just use the prill liquid to clean it.

4. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

hi,
    keep 2 wooden cutting boards- one for vegetables etc and other for non-veg items.Do not use the same for both.Otherwise it is fine to use and cleaning is also is easy.

5. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Wooden cutting boards should be kept pretty dry -- immediately after usage, wash thoroughly & dry. Preferably, in the sun. Otherwise, it becomes slimy in those moist areas & also black in colour.

6. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

I've been using bamboo cutting boards for quite sometime. I used to have wooden cutting boards that I bought from ikea but it stared deforming and cracking when I dried it in sun. Also I started noticing tiny insects coming out from the board. So changed to bamboo one. Its just fine. I wash it right away after using and it dries pretty quick. I don't put it in sun. You can wipe with cooking oil once a while to keep the board shiny.

-Uma

7. vinayaka1979

vinayaka1979 Senior IL'ite

Get a good quality wooden cutting board(a bit expensive but well worth your money). As suggested by others after using it make sure you clean it well with a scouring pad and dry immediately. i personally prefer wood over plastic because I feel that when we cut over plastic we may inadvertantly be shaving off minute amount of plastic with it.

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

i have used both and i say both hv their own pros n cons.
    wooden cutting board need to be kept dry immediately after use pat them and let them hang dry
    plastic board are very low maintenance.... frankly speaking i dont think too much about the "disadvantages" of using plastic, there are times when u just want to rap up things in the kitchen and get over with it, thats when plastic boards come handy.

also as someone mentioned, if you insist on using wooden boards, make sure you keep 2 seperate ones for veggies and nonveg since they tend to retain the smell sometimes.