1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

cutlery or hand?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Huma, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Hi

The other day i went to the restaurant which was called Chennai dosai.

on the wall was written Indian food is best eaten with hand... i saw around that everybody used cutlery including myself i took mini idly with sambar.

in my house i eat with my hand but not outside....even in India they use cutlery most of them are forks and big spoon. no knife....why that?

and u? do u use forks or using your hand?

bye

1 person likes this.

2. subashinib

subashinib Senior IL'ite

Hi Huma,

WOW..... A NICE TOPIC !!!!!!!!!

I like to eat only with my hands even in the restaurants :) but if i use my hands , i feel that everybody is looking strange on me :) even my husband dont like/allow me to eat with my hands.

The reason why i like to eat with my hands is "I TRUST MY HANDS THAN THE FORKS & KNIFES GIVEN IN THE RESTAURANTS, SINCE IM A PURE VEGETARIAN"

BUT NOW-A-DAYS , I CHANGED MYSELF TO USE THE CUTLERIES OUTSIDE AS WELL AS INSIDE THE HOUSE.......

Thanks for giving a chance to share my opinion with you .....

With love,
    suba

2 people like this.
  3. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Huma:

Nice topic.

I normally use my hand to eat but years ago I started getting allergies I switched over to cutlery.

But even now, when my hand is fine, I am most comfortable eating with my hands. And this holds good even in restaurants, even if it means few raised eyebrows!!

Sindhu

4. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Huma,

What a wonderful topic for discussion! I usually eat by hand at home. But when we go to restaurants, we use the cutlery for even our indian dishes. As you mentioned, we get strange looks when we use our hands.

But when we bring our parents/inlaws they are comfortable using their hands. At that time, it feels totally normal and nobody gives a second look!:-D

To each his own!

Thanks,
    Jithiks

5. santasekar

santasekar Senior IL'ite

Hi Huma

I eat with my hand both at home n in Indian restaurants .......

Even i feel bad sometimes thinking abt others views but my hubby supports me telling that we should do things that r comfortable for us .....

I feel that hand is best for Indian food .

Regards
    santasekar

6. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

i totally agree with santasekar..Most of the indian foods can be eaten only with our hands..ive noticed in indian restaurants that some ppl use hands for some food and cutlery for other..bonkIts better to eat by hands..

7. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Huma,
    I use cutlery/hand depends on the food which I ordered in resturants......
    For starters like Samosas/veggie fry......I use hand......and for gravy based curry, I prefer using cutlery.
    Even in home, I use cutlery for all the items except a few like Naan/roti etc, which needs to be cut into pieces and it tastes good when I dip the same in some gravy like curry........
    So, it all depends on our likings......I don't mind who looks at me.......I am there to have a tasty meal in a way that I like......
    Regards.

8. sasisenthil

sasisenthil New IL'ite

I agree with Meeta... I prefer to eat by hand mostly whether I am in India and outside India. II njoy eating food only by hand.. I don't feel the complete delite using cutlery :)

-Sasirekha

9. pushpabp

pushpabp New IL'ite

I also would like to eat with hand. I think we should do what we are comfortable and should not think about others.

10. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

HI Ladies,

Though use of hands to eat is traditional and gives you lots of satisfaction, there are some high-class resturants where you have to use the cutlery.

So, its better to learn how to use the cutlery so that it comes in handy when you dont have a choice.

Its also important to teach our kids to use cutlery in the right way, otherwise they might embarass us when we go out to eat. Table manners is something we need to inculcate in kids at a very early age.

Table manners including.. taking the right food and right amount of food that they can eat, finishing the entire plate, clearing their plate from the table, not talking with food in their mouth, not using hands to take food from the serving dish, not making too much noise while chewing food, use of napkins in the dining table, etc.

If you do a google search for "table manners" or "use of cutlery", you will find lots of sites which can throw light in this area.

Regards
    Sylvia