1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Cute buttons from Plaster of Paris or Ceramic

Discussion in 'Creative Crafts' started by smriticrafts, Mar 31, 2012.

1. smriticrafts

smriticrafts Bronze IL'ite

Hi All

I am sharing this holiday craft- ceramic buttons from POP or ceramic or clay. Its so easy that even kids can do this.

So here are the steps:

POP or plaster of paris has been used to repair ceilings, pottery and in lot many things. This sunday, I have made these cool playing cards embellishments using plaster of paris and natural colors. Before I tell you more about this DIY project, here are few tips on where these embellishments can be used. These are good to use as an embellishment on a tote bag, notice board or curtains or even as buttons (as they have button holes in them). So let start with the project.

Items required

- Plaster of Paris 100 Gms (You can find it in any hardware shop. If you don't find POP in nearby shop, ask the shopkeeper for white cement which is equally good)
    - Adhesive
    - Water
    - Water based Colours and brush
    - Cookie cutters in different shapes (I used paying cards shapes)
    - A plastic box to prepare the mixture (please use a box which is no longer in use for eating or cooking)
    - Gloves
    - Plastic sheet
    - cooking oil (one table spoon)

Method

Step1- First, wear the gloves and spread the plastic sheet over a table. Now grease the plastic sheet by applying few drops of cooking oil on it. Now, empty the pack of plaster of paris into the plastic box. add 3-4 table spoon adhesive to it and mix it well. Now quickly add some water to it so that it becomes a thick paste. Please be extra careful while using POP as it sets very quickly.

[​IMG]

Step2- Spread the paste evenly on the oiled sheet and wait for 30-40 seconds. Now quickly start cutting the paste in shape of cookies using cookie cutters. Make small holes (button holes) in the shapes using sharp and thin wire or any tool. Let POP cookies dry for some more time.
    [​IMG]
    Step3- After 10 minutes, POP will become hard and this is the right time to take it off from the plastic sheet. Take out the cookies and put them on another thick paper. Now you can give the final touch to these cookies using knife and other tools. Remember, this has to be done before colouring the cookies.

[​IMG]

Step4- Now, colour the cookies using desired colors. I used vegetable dyes and natural herbs to color. I used turmeric for yellow, green leaves for green and beetroot for red color.

Tips:
    - - Make sure that you quickly wash and clean the plastic box , in case you plan to reuse it for same purpose as dried POP chips sticked on the box won’t give the paste a nice texture and they will a difficulty in finishing the job.
    - - You can use clear warmish to give extra shine to your cookies after you have given final coat of color and the cookies are completely dried.
    -

7 people like this.

2. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for this tutorial! Very cool,will try it out with my kid.Thanks!

3. manguji

manguji Gold IL'ite

hi,Smriti, thanks for sharing this cool idea....i tried adding little quantity of flour to pop,so that we don't have to make haste,while working.only difference is ,it takes little more time to dry.

1 person likes this.
  4. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Nice and creative idea... thanks for sharing

Shanti

5. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Hi Smriti,
    Nice creative work.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

6. pramila.f

pramila.f Gold IL'ite

Thanks for this tutorial!

7. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Cool and colorful idea..

8. Nithu

Nithu Gold IL'ite

truly unique and superb idea

9. smriticrafts

smriticrafts Bronze IL'ite

10. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Very good work...thanks for the procedure.

1 person likes this.