Cursed colour differences among Indians

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by ramya475, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ramachander
    Very great and thought provoking thread. You are so very right when you talk about the color disparity and people's reactin to color and such. It did come as a big shock tosee our society treat people based on color. The U.S is ofcourse no exception. Here outwardy as far as lip service goes its all fine. But its a misfortune if you are born black. Only the White Americans have it made. Its unbelievable how blacks are treated. Almost all the time this prejudice is formed on sight. I know I can go on and on but you have really written so well. Please keep writing. Thanks

2. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

If being white is equated with beauty in india then they should be told about the booming tanning salon business in the west. With all the westernizing craze going on there, may be this will be a boon to the ' wheat / dark ' complexioned folks??

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ramachander,

This is a real thought provoking thread started by you. When we are abroad, we always think of our country with love and forget all its faults. But there are many and we must own up to them if we wish to change things for better.
    Many of us who are of wheatish complexion or dark skinned must have experienced this color discrimination in our country. Even the marriage ads are always looking for singles who are tall, 'beautiful' and 'fair'! What is fair and what is beautiful...is it not a very relative description?! Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...and all that is fair is NOT beautiful!
    But even I feel that this concept is surely changing, like Aarushi mentioned. Especially in today's climes where the young people of both sexes interact more freely and choose their partners, not because of their outward looks, but because they vibe well together.
    I agree that color discrimination exists in many countries. But the underlying reason for this is often that they are not the natives of a certain country and hence not fully accepted. In India, that is not the case, all of us...black, brown, white and even yellow..all of us are truly and really Indians from India! So there lies the paradox!
    Having said all this, I truly believe that today's young generation has a slight change of heart and let's hope it prevails!

L, Kamla

4. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

intresting thread ladies,

color discrimination is not only in looking for bride/groom. Let me tell you my experience. We had our baby girl in US last year. When we called people back in India to tell this the first question was 'is the baby white'? I was so disappointed as nobody bothered to ask if the baby had 10 fingers or 10 toes. Needless to mention that my husband is fair (rather white) and me brown.

disappointed Rithi

5. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

Oh yes , we can. As parents we can make our children understand color is not important. We can spread our opinion surely among our relatives and friends. We can make a difference by believing that we need not buy " whitening creams". The glow comes naturally with being happy and positive and not by "fair and lovely". I am so thankful that my children have understood this without me telling them anytime!

It is possible.

:)

6. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

Dear Rithi,

Don't be disappointed. So long it does not matter to you , there is no problem. So long as you have a healthy and happy kid , life is beautiful.

I wanted to share this with you.. I am rather on the brown side and pretty ordinary looking person, on the plumper side.. When I visited the USA, my daughter's friends have been exclaiming to her " your mother is so pretty". I found it a little surprising. It pleased me too..( vanity)

Have a good time rearing the child.

God bless

7. nikkypk

nikkypk New IL'ite

as soon as i saw this topic i remembered that happened to me just a few months back...
    i come from a family where every1 is fair, but my youngest sister is a bit more on the darker side . I recently had a baby and one of our relatives who had cum over to visit remarked to my sister " dont touch the baby or she vil also turn dark like u" .... i was so shocked on hearing this !!!!my sister is only 7 yrs old( we are 15 yrs apart.. but very close to each other)...just imagine the effect tht this ill remark could hv on this growing child's mind???i immediately lashed out sayin thts such a stupid comment, and that i would be more than happy if my baby would turn out like my sister coz she is such a sweet person and so talented( she is very gifted in arts, danc eand music) ....i still get angry ven i think abt this incident!!!!
    hw can ppl be so immature!!

8. nokia6681

nokia6681 New IL'ite

it is evident fact...did any one noticed sun news about caste discrimination in madurai and building a wal b/w the town to separate the daliths from high caste people.

even in a small city like madurai we cant solve the problem b/w two castes
    then how we can change it in global....

but one fact we are biologically same.....