1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Curd Rice

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Dec 19, 2020.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

I had posted this earlier and till now got 70 fbs inlcuding my replies and 1998 views. So thought of sharing it here also for my other friends who have not read FB_IMG_1608351889029.jpg
    Let me know the after effects afterreading the post o fmine

Iyers are mostly known for their love for curd. Other South Indian delicacies such as dosas, idli, etc. are also relished by Iyers. Coffee amongst beverages , especially filter coffee and curd amongst food items form an indispensable part of the Iyer food menu.

Only South Indians end their food with thayir sadam. Earlier school children used to take thayir sadam for lunch in school with some pickle. or idli with milagapodi on it. Now a days parents give so many varieties of food to children in the tiffin boxes and just as there are varieties of food in the lunch box ,the lunch box also has so many varieties. In our days we were given food in a thooku. Those days there were no lunch boxes as now.

Now coming to thayir chadam, my friends used to say South Indians are very intelligent because they eat curd rice. Just mixing the curd with rice does not have much taste compared to the curd rice we make with ginger, kadipatha and give a thadka of mustard seeds in Oil. And when we have it with any pickle especially if it s avakkai or lemon pickle it tastes so yummy. Also curd rice with puli inji, avial, olan tastes very yummy. Writing of that only my mouth is watering because I am a foody and enjoy food with the right combinations. They say na brahmana bhojana priya.

But of late youngsters are so busy in their working life that they have no time to enjoy their food in time . Earlier on holidays the whole family used to be there and enjoy having lunch together. I think those days are rare now a days

2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Is the red thing on the side a Tomato-Onion Gothsu ?

iyerviji likes this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

No its lemon pickle I think. This is old post so I dont remember

Hopikrishnan likes this.
  4. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Even in other South Indian states, it is a delicacy for Brahmins. A proper SI brahmin will love the taste of it.

iyerviji likes this.
  5. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Not only for brahmins. You can find Chettinad [literally The-Nation-of-Chetty] recipes for the same item on the internet LINK. Served in Chettinad restaurants also. As that cuisine is fiery hot and spicy, the soothing curd-rice towards the end of the meal suppresses painful acid-reflux, especially in over-eaters.

iyerviji and sarvantaryamini like this.
  6. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

I was referring to the Iyer comment. Even in Karnataka, Andhra, Telangana, they make it with little variation. More kulambu is also a common dish. I had buttermilk rice in Kerala, don't know much about Kerala though. I didn't mean to say other communities don't like it/make it.

iyerviji likes this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks dear