curd preparation

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sanravi_1970, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I'm sure everyone has given the good replies but let me add 2 cents here.
    If you dont have starter curd please try Friendship buttermilk available in the bigger grocery chains in U.S.
    before adding keep outside to come to room temp. add to warm milk stir and keep milk preferably inside regular oven with lights on .
    Excellent curds come out of this give this a try.

2. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

OK.. will try it, thanks

3. shwethag

shwethag Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sanravi,

Try Pavel yogurt full fat which you will get in Trader joe's it always works out for me.

4. Kavta

Kavta Senior IL'ite

Hi Sanravi
    What happened to your curd preparation?! Did you succeed or not? Unfortunately I too have problem in making curd now:cry:. My husband loves to finish his meal with curd rice and he finished all the curd (actually it was me who told him to have all of it as I already added culture to milk and thought that would be ready for tomorro) but unfortunately the milk didnt turn into curd :eekand now I am running out of curd. I am waiting for the milk to turn into curd since two days after continously heating it again and again in regular intervals fr 2min . Had put redchilli too. This morning it smelled little curd like but consistency is still the same like that of milk:confused2:. I simply transfered it too refrigirator hoping fr the good. Donno what to do next!shakehead

5. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi Kavta

I stopped trying to make curd, i m not getting good consistency..

6. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Kavitha,

Donot worry.Try for Yogurmet yogurt started powder.We get in Newseasonsmarket(newseasonmarket.com) in our state.Try using that yogurt starter which is awesome.U get awesome curd with it.refer to my previous post.i gave details how to use it.

Now since the weather is cold,i keep boil milk,add 2tsp of curd,cover the lid with aluminium foil,cover with lid and keep it in microwave,and put heavy weight of 4lbs sugar pack or corningware bowl on the that dish lid and leave exactly for 4hours to set.U get thick curd like indian one.

hope this helps u,
    vaishu

7. sunikrishnan4u

sunikrishnan4u New IL'ite

Hi,

I am from Kansas, where the winter is pretty harsh. But have never had problem making curd. I used to use Dannon low fat and sometimes Indian curd from India store. Both have never failed me, I get very good curd, like in India or like the dannon, not stringy at all. This is the method I follow.

1. Make milk to boil well, take it away from the heat ( no micro wave ) And I use 2% milk
    2. Reduce the heat between 1-2, place the milk again wait for 10 - 15 minutes
    3. Let the milk cool off completely.
    4. Preheat the oven to 250 - 300
    5. Wait for sometime, 3-5 minutes
    6. In a small vessel 2 - 3 tbsp of the culture, add 1/2 tspn of sugar (yeah, but yuor curd wont be sweet), 2-3 tbspn of the above cold milk, mix it well
    7. Coat the vessel in which you are going to set the curd with this mixture, add an additional tbsp of mixture in the bottom.
    8. Pour the above cold milk to the vessel
    9. Put it inside the oven. You can follow 5-8 steps while waiting for the oven to mellow down.
    10. Most importantly in winter, let the curd sit in the oven for 48 - 54 hrs. If u wait for only 24hrs the curd will be set but, will have be more watery. If u wait more the thick the curd will be. And dont worry it wont turn sour at all ......

Courtesy : to Chitvish, a large part is adapted ffrom her recipe for curd.

Please follow this and let me know.

rgds
    Suni

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

My 2cents here all - hope its o.k

I keep the vessel inside the regular oven with ONLY the light ON that is the oven light. that heat is enough to make curds. comes out perfectly everytime pl do try

Also for starter even buttermilk works.

hope this helped.

1 person likes this.
  9. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

I am afraid to spend money on getting curd starter online, bcos even if it doesnt work, its waste of money.. so that will be my last option.. thanks for ur suggestions..

10. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

ok then let me try one more time !!!