curd preparation

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sanravi_1970, Aug 21, 2007.

1. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

ok thanks sriniketan, i will let her know...

2. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

But krishnamma is it a natural way of fermenting and since i m pregnant nw, i m afraid to try that method.

3. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sanravi,

No problem it is 100% natural only. Once you get the curd done from that you

can use that curd to make more curd. When I come back to my home after a

long time, I use to follow this method. If you are afraid, make a small quantity

first and then from that curd you can prepare more and more and more............:2thumbsup:

4. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Hi all - I usually boil the milk in the microwave and then let it cool to lukewarm and use only about a spoonful of yogurt and I usually keep it back in the microwave - just a place to keep it because it will be warm and will not get any drafts. During summer time it usually gets done in about 4-5 hrs and during winter time I put a ladleful and it will get done overnight. Like some of the other members suggested, you can get culture from other Indians. I have not tried the method that TDU suggested - since I have never run out of culture. I keep some in the freezer when I go to India or out of town. Another key thing is to make sure you put the yogurt only when it is lukewarm - I used to mess up when I first started making it here because of this. If it is too hot, it will kill the culture and if gets too cold, it wont set or it may taste milky. I also use skim milk - it will be a bit watery but I dont mind that since I dont like the creamy taste of whole milk.

Shobana

5. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hey,

We get "yogurmet yogurt starter" (a powder to make yogurt) from NewSeasons Market.I think u can buy it online also from www.Newseasonsmarket.com. It costs $4 per pack which has 6 small 5gram packs which lasts for 3years .One small pack(5gm pack) if u use as starter,later u can continue using the leftover curd from previous day to make next yogurt.Try it.And remaining packs can be used if u miss making curd etc.Its awesome.And moreover,try boiling the milk on stove and not in microwave.Taste is very good on stove.My mom came to usa last week and she tried it on stove and taste was different and tasted like our home curd in india.Now she is boiling milk on stove on medium flame until one frothy boil comes up,cools and makes the yogurt.

Goodluck,
    Vaishu

6. krishnaamma

Hi ,

How much we are struggling for small small things, when we are away from

home? isit not?:-D

7. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

thats true krishnamma, my grandpa used to say if u get everything u wont feel for it, but only if u miss them u will know the effect of missing them.

8. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

oh its different :), i can try it sometime, thanks

9. sssaustin

sssaustin Senior IL'ite

I tried to prepare curd with red chilli method and green chilli method and it was a flop for me.

The curd came out sringy...

Let me try Vaishu's method ...

10. krishnaamma

Hello Austin,

Sorry to hear this FB from you.:oops: Have you followed the method correct? like

warming the milk and keeping it in a warm place? Because I use to do like that whenever I return home after a long time. Why it is failure for you?:idontgetit:

any how please try once more and put 4 -5 'heads' of red chilies and try with

small quantity. All the best!:-D

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007