curd preparation

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sanravi_1970, Aug 21, 2007.

1. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

What I do is get the initial culture from your local indian friends who make curd at home. I got a culture from one of my friends and still using the same to make at home.
    When we go on vacation, I put some curd in the freezer.

-Sihi

2. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Thats exactly what I did as Sihi said!
    you can never make home made curd with culture from the store (personally i didn't like the taste & texture)find some Indian friends or neighbours or even temple borrow little culture from them... Hope this helps

Tulasi

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  3. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

hi all,

it is not tat a tough process.....irrespective of the nature of the culture u can prepare curd....for the first time get any yogurt from our stores say, trader joe's or safeway or albertsons to use it as culture.....boil 2 full glasses of milk in stove (DO NOT MICROWAVE)...it will take nearly 20-25 mins...allow it cool as much as possible ...once it is cold enof, add 3 teaspoons of yogurt and allow it to settle down one full nite.....do not refrigerate.......

never add more yogurt as it will spoil the texture of the curd...in india just few drops of culture is enof, but tat will not work out with the milk we get here , moreover the temperature too doesnt supports....

4. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Oh i havent seen such type of yogurt in indian stores???

5. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

thats fine, but where do i go for starter culture??

6. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi sihi and tulasi

I did that way too, when we went to indian restaurent i got the culture, but even that s not good!!!!!!!!!! I dont think any of my friends close by make curd at home :-(

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sanravi
    I don't even know if anybody is coming from India at this time. You can ask them to bring it and keep the culture in the checked baggage. I got one like that when i didn't get any cultures from here.
    Moreover my friend says that using Dannan yogurt, initially will give gooey curd but later on it will be alright.
    Why don't you try the method prescribed by TDU, in a small quantity to get the yogurt culture?
    Sriniketan

8. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Dear sriniketan

Even i had that idea of getting curd from India but will it be good when they reach here, will not become sour and how to carry it?
    My mom will be cumng by next month, so i can tell her to bring culture.
    Can u tell me how they got the culture from there for u, any safer packing and other things??

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sanravi,
    congrats and when is that big day?
    The curd will be a little sour, add only a little bit to the milk boiled, initially. Ask them to pack it as a last thing. Have one or two laddles in a glass bottle, screw it tight and pack it with lot of paper and clothes and then put it in a plastic bag and bring it here. Make sure that she is not carrying it in her hand bag. This can be brought in the luggage she is not carrying it with her.that is in a checked baggage.
    Hope this helps you.
    sriniketan

10. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sanravi,

The method prescribed by TDU, is the best one. Instead green chilly I will put

the 'kambu' of red chilly. And if you try with Fresh milk it will work. Try with

fresh milk. And dont forget to warm the milk. All the best.:-D