Cunning Senior Staff

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by SGBV, Jan 17, 2017.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Our 5 year project cycle comes to an end by this June. However a new 7 year projects opens up, so that the office is busy hiring new professionals for various posts. Mostly, the office gives chances to the existing staff depending on their qualifications for similar posts. But earlier, we were required to face interviews and sometimes compete with someone from external to secure the posts.
    Now that the management has decided to give chances to the existing ones based on their performance of the current project cycle.

With this, I am very much hopeful to secure a good post in the same duty station. Which is very profitable and very much convenient to me (coz I am a mom of 2 young kids).

Nevertheless, a co worker cum a senior staff constantly discourages me about all this. He was very good with me all these while.
    Although his position is somewhat senior level than mine and he is older, he knows that I am more experienced than him, particularly in this field. He knows my potentials and how much I am spotted by the senior management.
    In fact, I was working on a very senior position in a different firm for the past 10 years. However, due to personal reasons, I had to quit my job for good in 2015. Later on, I came to know of a vacancy (my present position) which was available in the city where I lived.
    Earlier I used to work in a diff city, so transportation was the biggest issue apart from other work demands.
    This post was a lower one compared to my other post, but it was flexible and apt for me that time.
    The senior managers of this firm know me well through my other office, so they encouraged me to accept this office although this one is lower to my grade.
    They said I could always grab a better post soon, since I am a good performer.
    Since this office is in the city where I live, I too hope to secure a permanent career here.

With this new offer, that is about to come after June, I would be competing with the high post holders, including this senior man. I believe I have got a better chance than him.
    But he, on the other hand tries his best to put me down by claiming ownership to all my hardworks of recent times using his power, as thought it was a team work, and he was the team lead.

He further avoids me to the high level meetings, saying I am not needed there. And then he goes on to tell others that I did not come.
    He communicates with the managers on behalf of our team, thus making it difficult for us to talk to them.
    He purposely exclude me in the group mails, and make it as a genuine mistake.
    He goes on to check with the drivers and peons to know my timings to the office, specially the length of my lunch break.
    One day, I was on emergency leave as my DD was sick. I informed him, and did whatever is needed officially that day.
    But I forgot to charge my mobile, as I was helplessly looking after my DD who was very sick and down with diarrhea.
    He tried to talk to me on work related matter, but I was not reachable.
    So, he wrote a mail CC'in the managers saying I should behave responsibly even though I am on leave, by quoting the mobile matter.
    I was mad, and I gave it back nicely to him CC'in the same recipient, that's a diff story.
    I observe all this since the past month only.

Technically I am not suppose to attend to high end meetings or contribute to the decision making process as I hold relatively a lower post here.
    However, my management knows my capacity and the performance since the time I worked for the other office, so they have always involved me. They expect a lot from me, by giving me so much high responsibilities, which are beyond my ToR.
    Subtly they have always given me hopes of giving high positions when the new cycle comes up.

Now that, this senior staff justifies himself that he does justice to everyone (who are in the same post as me) by excluding me when it comes to limelight.
    He says, none of the other staff are included so I shouldn't make it as a problem.

But I do a lot and bear a lot of responsibility, and am answerable to so many stuff here than the other staff who hold similar posts as me. So, how come it is justice?

On the other hand, he constantly advises me to look for better jobs somewhere else. He says, don't have hopes here, these fellows won't help you.
    Today he says that my contract ends soon, and it won't be renewed. He says that he learnt this from others, so tells me unofficially to avoid any heart breaks further. He was too blunt, and indeed caused me some heartache that time.

When I contacted one of the senior manager immediately, he asked me not to worry. He is aware of my contract dates, and said I shouldn't worry about it now, as there are good plans.
    He was busy when I called, so he promised me to call me back later today. But his reply was soothing and promising.

I may opt for an international post (as I am already cleared) if this offer did not turn up for me. However, I still prefer this one for all the other benefits it could give me.

Just a vent.

2. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Your situation sounds complex.

People are people ... at least we are not married to coworkers.

You are handling quite well.

Unless you and I are bosses then we are at bottom of totem pole to be treated as such.

I believe your next job is million times better than this one.

3. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

The senior colleague is sabotaging you, so he can retire in a better position. He definitely is very threatened by your qualification and accomplishments. He is afraid you will get the position that is the reason he is discouraging you to be in the company.

In my previous workplace, I had the worse boss ever. He would do most the things that you have described- won't let me in the meetings, take all the credit for my work, have 2 face one the strict personal face and the other jovial to the upper management, always making me jump the hoops and say that how irresponsible I was in front of the upper management. In the beginning, I was very baffled and this was my first real job.I later quit after working for 2 years. I never got any promotion, there was yearly pay rise I got.

This is my theory- old people sometimes get very jealous about the younger generation and go out of the way to sabotage their career. All in the name of safety and security. Your senior colleague maybe fair to someone but not to you, because he is seriously threatened that one day you might be competing with him or making decisions with him. He isnt ready to see you as an equal or accept that you surpassed him.

You may already know everything I am saying-- but I think you need reassurance that it is truly happening in the 21st Century. Yes, it is happening and happens to many women at some point in their career.

There are 3 scenario's which are likely to be played out-
    1. Ignore this guy and still go for the promotion. ( he will do everything in his possible means to make you look incompetent for the job).
    2. Quit this job entirely coz he is only going to make things harder for you even if you get the senior post ( again in the future job there will be someone like him).
    3. Go to the upper management/ HR and have a talk. Every company does things differently-- so weigh in the pro's and cons see what best for you and decide if you should go to the upper management.

Goodluck

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    sindmani likes this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @ChennaiExpress and @blindpup10

I have no plans to quit this one until I am notified officially about anything negative. In that way, I may opt for the second best decision, i.e to accept the international offer.
    In fact, the international offer has so many positives than this post. But when you balance your family's needs, wants and your personal desire, I feel this post does so much justice. That's why I like it here.

Today, I heard from this person, that he is out of the list among the possible competitors for the next level promotion.
    He was indirectly asked to manage a different project, that is almost towards the last stage. Which means, I have a bright chance.
    But he again discourages me saying that this new post is gonna be demolished, so there will not be any openings.
    I was really really angry, so I gave him nicely in a little ruder way.

Feeling irritated. But relieved that at least he will not be with us after June

sindmani, blindpup10 and Madhumagie like this.