1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

cunning Inlaws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Indumati, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Indumati

Indumati New IL'ite

Hi all... I agree what you all said and advised to me. Shanthi, even I was thinking positive up till last year. But its getting worse and worse and I am losing patience. Even I was thinking from his side and was thinking that whatever they tell me is as if my parents are telling. But the situation is getting no better. They are hating me more than before. I felt all my patience went useless. My mil is says whatever she wants to and later she realizes and says "i have given so much pain to you" but she repeats the same again. I think they say it just waiting to listen what I'll say about it. I used to cry daily for their tactics why I am not be play the same tactics with them. Moreover I have sacrifices visiting my family but they are not changing they are putting more and more pressure on me without their knowledge. I guess its their nature. They don't feel what they are doing is wrong. Even my mil had problems with her mil and she is still alive. But my mil doesn't care her at all. She always says with me/my hubby "my husband used to beat me because of her mil in front of everybody" I just don't understand why the hell she is telling all those things to me and my husband.
    I ask myself is she teaching his son also to do the same? Shanthi, I think you are lucky because your mil is on your side and speaks for you with her daughters. My mil is different she fights me for them. She competes with me even at this age. I have molded my self a lot. I have controlled my ego a lot.. I have been patient a lot. Now I am in a situation where I don't know how to proceed. I am just waiting to see the light at the end of tunnel. Why can't they leave me as I am? Why they want to make me a puppet in the house? What do they actually need from me? Why my husband never want to speak for me at least once? Shanthi, even I am trying to customize my package with all my efforts but there is very bad virus in it which can't be removed or quarantined. May be my strategy is not good and there is more than one strategy.

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Indumathi,
    I felt very bad after reading your experiences and I personally know how horrible it will be as to some extent I am also still experiencing(10 years have gone). I know how hard it will be to be patient, bec I am a person with quick and high temper which I have practiced to control.

I will tell you how I managed and am managing. Be physically present and mentally absent. If you are used to tell slokas without seeing book be it anything, keep repeating in your heart right from the moment you get out of bed till you go to sleep. Cultivate yourself a hobby, like painting, reading books something like that and keep yourself engaged after your work at home even if you are a working woman.

It is difficult at this age to change your inlaws so why try in waste to change them better let us adapt. As others said keep praising even the small things they do. Remember their Birthdays, Wedding days give them some small gifts which they want. But anyhow dont just wait for the occassion. If you are going out for a small outing even let it be for shopping for vegetables get something for them. Get them something to snack, or a bottle of maaza. Keep pampering them as if they are small babies. Do the same to your hubby too. Pampering will definitely give a great result. Make sure not to fret, talk or boast whatever you are doing, but keep doing. Dont complain too.

Keep PAMPERING at the same time dont forget your mental and physical health too. Keep yourself fit by yoga and meditation or small walks.

ALL THE BEST. Hoping to get a good result msg from you soon

3. Indumati

Indumati New IL'ite

Dear all, Thank you so much for understanding my pain and consoling me the way which I needed. I really feel nice that I have someone to share things about. Shanthi, it is so sad to read your story. Really it is very touching and I can understand how you went through all these. I am not working and no kids. I live in Texas. Now everybody might think there will be no problem if you are not living with in-laws. But not in my case. My case is different from everybody. They torture me on phone and whenever I visit them or they visit me. Whatever communication we have they try to control us in all ways they can. They try to control all personal things between couple and financially each and every penny we spend, every place we go or every move of us. Just to save his son from listening to my advices. They do all this very tactfully as if they care about us but their intension is different as if my husband or myself are sending funds to my parents. They will sure get oscar if they are nominated. They are very good performers. There is so much I have experienced in 31/2 years of our marriage. I wish even I could control my thinking about them.

4. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Hello Indumati,

I have been following your post, but after reading todays post I wanted to reply. I donno how many times I have mentioned in front of my hubby that if your parents are nominated for oscars they will sure win:) .

Anyways coming to your problem, as others have suggested, I think you should indulge yourself in some better activities than to think about them and waste your precious life over that. Also be mentally strong.....if you don't let your in-laws take you for a ride...then they won't. Its upto to you to handle them either tactfully and being nice in front of them OR grabbing your rights forcefully. In any case be mentally strong and practice some mediation keep you grounded..also try to involve in some activities or get into a job.

I was like that too.....taking everything to my heart and thinking over it and worrying a lot. I tried being nice and tactful...but it didn't work and I was still the scape goat for everything.They control my hubby from India too over phone calls and everything. My SIL also has joined the gang....but now I just don't give a damn for all that. Last year my in-laws came here on the pretext of "helping me" after delivery...they created a big scene and drama with all our desi neighbors here and went back after creating a huge storm ( I should say Tsunami not a storm) between me and hubby. Such a big storm that my hubby didnt even see our daughter's face for 3 months.....staying in the same home!! I used to manage everything alone during that bad phase - looking after baby, working (I work full time) It was a horrible phase...but I learned to be mentally strong. My in-laws even went to the extent of scaring my mom (my dad is no more)...they sent some thirdparty far relative to our home in India to check on my mom's reaction etc. My FIL even said I can get my son married again...for which I answered on his face "Sure....get him married again.,...me and my daughter will happily come and attend the wedding and also give a gift". Then he used another weapon like my son spent so much money on you etc etc.....for which I replied "yeah please make a list and give it to me and I will repay everything with interest". Then he brainwashed my hubby saying that just because she is working she is egoistic and adamant..ask her to quit her job and stay home. He was stunned with my answers....I dont think he expected such sharp and blunt answers from me..he always thought I was mild and soft spoken girl, which I was till last year. I think he thought that all his 17th century tricks will work on me...but hearing my answers he must have realized that its not his meek wife he is talking to...its a 21st century woman who knows how to manage things.
    Don't let them control you. About them controlling your hubby...leave that to him to make that decision....if he wants to be controlled and lead his life like a puppet or make his own decisions balancing his time....then he will turn around I feel. When you say they control you over phone....don't even respond to such things.....act like you didnt hear anything.

Take care,
    Sihi

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

This happened to me too,Sihi.I actually had attended 8 interviews and 9 bank exams before landing a job in a multi-national bank.My family was not really well -off.My dad did not have a job for atleast 10 years and that too when we were in school.My parents went thru' a lot of hardships to get us educated.There were so many loans to be paid off by the time we graduated.So it was inevitable,we had to work.By the time,I got married,we finished paying off all the loans and even saved enough to get jewels for ourselves.It was definitely not a cake-walk for me and my sis.How will our in-laws ever understand all this.The moment we get married,they will say-ok,now give up your job and stay at home.Is it so easy? What about our parents..who will take care of them in their old age.

6. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Yeah exactly Sunitha...how will in-laws know the hardships we have gone thru before marriage. Infact my parents know how much tensed I was when I didnt get any job in my campus interviews....I didnt eat food and struggled to get a job...and I love my job. To be honest, I consider that my job is my greatest security for life that my parents have given me. I have even made that statement to my hubby when he asked me to quit the job...I told him first you give me enough confidence, then I will gladly quit my job and look after the family.
    Actually my FIL or anyone was not against me working...infact they wanted me to work. But only when I started replying to them curtly, they changed their tone about my job. I asked my FIL on his face, you should have searched a un-educated village girl or a maid for your son...but NO you wanted a professionally educated, good looking, fair, working girl and also who had stock options and this is what professionally educated girls are like...including your own daughter. My FIL infact even asked me how much stock options I had when they had come to "see" me before wedding. And my SIL asked which rank I got in my entrance exams.....what nonsense was that!!! I wanted to ask her "oh! will you select bride for your brother based on a girls entrance ranking"...but just kept quiet.
    Anyways if I think about them my whole day gets spoiled....I have stopped even thinking about them. I call them once in a while and say hi-hello and thats it. I have my own family to worry about and I have to lead a happy life for my own daughter.

7. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear Sihi,

I was shocked after reading ur experience. Way to go sihi, keep it up:2thumbsup: . I really impressed by ur post. Better not to bother anybody & live ur life:goodidea:

8. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Indumati,
    Sunitha's and Sihi's replies are good to you. We should be polite, humble, respect others and learn to adjust everything. But no need to keep our head under anybody's feet. Be brave girl.

9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    after reading the various experiences, I too feel that if the problems go over boeard, do not hesitate to be strong and voice your displeasure. talk in a strong but not angry voice to your hubby as well as in laws. After adjust for such a long time, my hubby does not realise my sacrifices. So it is no use being too patient, we will only lose our life and enjoyment.I have seen many people who have voiced their displeasure leading a happy life. People are afraid to ask them anything and keep quite. Only when we are subdued, we are taken granted for and trampled upon.
    But, always think with a clear mind and do not decide when you are too worked up.

10. Indumati

Indumati New IL'ite