ct scan for enlarged adenoids

Discussion in 'Indians in UAE' started by abinayasarvan, Mar 24, 2013.

1. abinayasarvan

abinayasarvan New IL'ite

My doc has advised me to take a ct scan for my sons enlarged adenoids.but my son refuses to stay still on the table and inspite of the technician giving him a sedative was wide awake.we took him at night hoping that he will sleep but with no use.he has always been a very light sleeper.has anybody else done ct scans for children so young....is ct scan neccessary for adenoids....

2. Mumtotwo

Mumtotwo Silver IL'ite

Hi Abinaya,

I cannot help you with any info on adenoids but my DD was advised to take a MRI when she was 2 1/2. the first time we had been to a diagnostic centre but they did not have an anaesthetist and as expected she would not lie still. We took another appointment at a hospital and the scan was conducted under sedation. During the scan the anaesthetist was in the same room as my DD and monitored her closely for the full 40 mins.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  3. abinayasarvan

abinayasarvan New IL'ite

thanxs for ur reply
    did u do ur scan in India or UAE?actually my son was given a syrup for sedation at the diagnostic centre but even though he fell asleep in my arms when i tried to make him sleep on the scan table he just woke up and screamed so loudly ...this continued for almost 2 to 3 hours and was a total nightmare for me and my son....we were asked to try again at night time but it ended with the same result?was ur DD under complete sedation,I am in India to take a second opinion for my sons adenoids and the doctor insists on taking a CT scan ,I am so frustrated that I dont know what to do anymore.....

4. Mumtotwo

Mumtotwo Silver IL'ite

Hi,

we did the MRI scan in Dubai at Welcare. DD was given a small dose of sedation syrup 30 mins prior to the procedure. Then right before the scan, the anaesthetist administered IV (intravenous) sedation. Her vitals were monitored by the anaesthetist during the scan. She was kept under observation for another couple of hours after she was conscious.

We went through the same nightmare during our first visit to the diagnostic centre. From personal experience, I feel it is better to get the scan done in a well equipped hospital.

I am sorry but I have no idea if CT scan is necessary in such a case. You may want to consult another doc just to see if he too recommends getting a scan done. just try asking around...relatives, friends of friends,etc.

I can understand how frustrating this must be. It is easier to find your way around if you have good friends and close relatives to support you. Be strong and take care.

5. Mumtotwo

Mumtotwo Silver IL'ite

Abinaya, just a suggestion...as you are presently in India, why don't you post this query in your local city IL forum...you may get more information and/or recommendations...