1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Crow Talk

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 28, 2014.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswamitra,

Sad to think that there are places where the otherwise ubiquitous crows are not seen. This is just what I often fear. In our excitement of watching brightly coloured birds, we tend to take the crows for granted. I do hope we don't face a day when we crave to see a crow the same way as we do to see sparrows.

Talking of superstitions, there is a weird kind of call of the crow which I have been told heralds death. For a long time I used to worry whenever I heard that kind of call, though now I have fortunately realized that death visits whoever it chooses to irrespective of crows or no crows. :-D

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Sat chi what is insulting about Kala Kauva? Kala is not necessarily a disparaging term. Black is beautiful. And crows [perform a vital environmentalk function. Along with vultures they play the role of scavangers and help keep the environment clean and disease free. And we treat them like human scavangers--with disdain. In mythology crow is also the vehicle of Shani , the bringer of woe.So hardly surprising that it is hated and feared.o

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

Balajee, nothing wrong with kala. But the tone in which it is usually said is very disparaging, like kala is something awful!

4. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Satsoo,

Not a rookie feedback, but a rooky feedback, all settled, comfy with our short re-introductions, re-greetings, visit to my profile (winks), aha moment of unmasking me, what what what are these crows in your belfry doing?! What ever the reason for their squatting, whirrrr ..whirrr...my mind is cathecting all my encounters with this caw-cawing species.

I always found cry of the crows quite nice, but my mom used to shoo them away. Never realized how the crow sneaked into our phraseology. Great compilation! I'm sure the cry is not just to clear their throats but if we were to decode the garbled crowspeak, they are laughing at our inability to sustain harmonious living, sneering at fallacies in the society, mocking the idiocies, pooh-poohing at our superstitious beliefs whilst happily nibbling at our feed.

Agree with Manju, crows have bad rap in witchcraft than cats. Of all the chittering, cackling birds, Edgar Allan Poe had to select 'Raven' , wish someone says 'Nevermore' to this partisanship in denouncing crows as ominous souls.

Educational post, including feedbacks!

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Hey Aria,

The "Aha" moment is certainly here! :-D "What's in a name"? someone once famously said.

That was a wonderful feedback. Truly, it just goes to prove our lack of an equivalent cerebral ability when compared to that of crows - why else should we harbour such prejudices about them just because of their colour (and why ever we should do that, I can't say - they look so beautiful and glossy) and the sounds emanating from their throats?

6. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,

Crows??? wow, not only can you write about anything and everything, you can make even a simple subject interesting :) I haven't seen crows in a really long time. But, I do know that I am scared of them. An attempt to apply vicks on it's beak and an attempt to peck after, has made me keep away(I was two then, had a cold and had vicks in hand and the cawing made me assume that the crow had a cold and sore throat). I know the crow acted only in its defense :) Also, as they were abundant near home, back then, never paid much attention to them, until coming across your informative snippet.

1 person likes this.
  7. satchitananda

Awww.... Navs, that is so sweet. Trying to cure a crow's cold with Vicks! I am not so surprised about the poor crow's reaction! LOL.

So I was not too far off the mark. Whenever I see a crow I always wonder how long it will be before we suddenly don't see them and miss them like we do the sparrows. One of those occasions when it is sad to be proved right.

1 person likes this.