Crispy,fluffy medhu vada.

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by kishoremommy, Sep 7, 2012.

1. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

This thread is the continuation of

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/recipe-central/179176-ven-pongal-secret.html

Why separate thread?

A specific thread for medhu vada will be useful for our Ilite friends while searching in future.That's why.

As I told you earlier,while we had our breakfast at our neighbour's house ,we had a crispy ,fluffy medhu vada.

I have tasted it many times on various occasions and she is really an expert in making it.Once for navarathri celebration in our apartment,she made 100 vadas and distributed.

All of them were equal in size and remained crispy after many hours.When asked for the recipe,she told me that she added corn flour .Yes,true.

The recipe is as follows.

Soak urad dal for one hour.Drain the water and grind in the grinder.Grinding in the mixie does not guarantee the perfect result.Add ginger pieces,asfoetida,green chillies. After grinding smoothly sprinkling occasionally very little water, take the batter in a bowl.

Now,add a few spoons of rice flour and few spoons of corn flour till you get the right consistency.

Add curry leaves,salt,chopped onion.There are many methods of shaping.

1.Take a wet ,white hanky.On the back side of a small,flat vessel like a dubara,shape the batter and make a hole.You can drop this easily into the hot oil.I usually do this.

2.Take a plastic sheet or milk cover or banana leaf .You can shape in that also.

3.My friend did it this way.She took a scoop of batter with her right hand using four fingers and made a hole using her thumb.Since she is an expert,this was easy for her.You can make perfect but small vadas by using this method.

Instead of onion ,green chillies ,we can add whole peppers also.

Whatever the method may be fluffy,crunchy ,golden colour vada is a guarantee.

15 people like this.
  2. chithirainilavu

chithirainilavu Gold IL'ite

thanks for the tips kishoremommy. will try and give feedback. medhu vada is my all time favourite

shara

1 person likes this.
  3. Mrudhani

Mrudhani Silver IL'ite

Nice tips for crispy vadas..! Good one...
    To add, one main point is to soak the urad dal for just 45 to 50 mins before grinding..

1 person likes this.
  4. kishoremommy

Thank you ,shara.

5. shreepriya

shreepriya Silver IL'ite

how many spoons of rice flour and corn flour goes into the batter approx.

6. kishoremommy

True.Minimum 45 minutes.

Sometimes while grinding for idli batter ,I soak an extra cup of urad dal and take the batter in a separate bowl.Then I would grind green chillies,ginger in a mixie small jar and then add to the batter.The batter would definitely be a little watery.So,I add rice flour and the vadas come out well.

Corn flour is the secret ingredient that I learnt new.I tried it and the vadas were not oily at all.

2 people like this.
  7. kishoremommy

That depends on the consistency of the batter.We should find out by trial and error method.

My suggestion is grind the batter as thick as possible.If you add onion and salt ,the batter becomes watery.Then you can add the flours.

We can store the batter in fridge for two days also without adding salt.Later ,when we are about to make the vadas,we can add the flours.

8. Viiksha

Viiksha Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the recipe...
    I should try mixing rice flour and corn flour.. Will try !!

1 person likes this.
  9. prabha1

prabha1 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Dear

Thanks for recpy i will defiantly try it.

Regards
    prabha

1 person likes this.
  10. esbanu

esbanu Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing the medhu vada receipe.. will try it out this weekend..

1 person likes this.