Crispr Gene Editing Tool - Good Or Bad

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuiDhaaga, Jun 23, 2021.

1. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Yeah I agree he was rogue and they had to make an example of him but three babies are already born and here isn’t it?

And given how easy it was what’s to say people won’t use it? Look at how India banned gender scanning and yet it continues unabated.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Human cloning or genome editing seem like an easy task but it’s not. These techniques are much easier in the cells but a different story in vivo.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

No… I would say scientific community all around the world. I understand that rules are very strict in the USA and the European countries but most of the world abide by the rules put forth by the scientific community.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  4. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Let’s not use cloning and gene editing interchangeably. I agree cloning is harder- dolly the sheep had tons of health issues. I fully concede that point.
    But a little splicing and dicing here and there? Wealthy couples who want a kid 3 inches taller say or with different set of eyes...? He showed how easy it was and those babies are already born! There’s plenty who’ll pay for such and enough rogues who will oblige them - in my opinion.
    Yeah?

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  5. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Argentina is almost always world-champions in polo. It is not too difficult to find CRISPR in the title of scientific journal articles purporting performance improvements in cloned animals.
    I am all for improving the quality of life of people -- if that can be done with whatever technology or medicines, whether it be applied at whatever stage of life.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    SuiDhaaga likes this.
  6. Hopikrishnan

Talking of evil scientists, one would surely wonder how such people come about. It happens early in their research careers :

upload_2021-6-24_14-26-47.png

A Hint Link for "Tip"

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    SuiDhaaga likes this.
  7. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

This is scary!

8. SuiDhaaga

Why won't he give Tip? I guess I don't have the academic background to understand :-(

9. Hopikrishnan

The cartoon depicts a specific example -- in a biochemistry lab where someone wants to bum a pipette tip. The tip is just an example. No need to be a college academic to understand the concept. Those that had never seen a pipette with a disposable tip, can recall their days in primary school.

[to bum (
    verb) is to get by with borrowing the whatever. Example: To bum a cup of milk from the neighbor. Bum is used when what is "borrowed" is never returned]

When Helpful Hema refuses to lend you her pencil sharpener in the middle of an exam, you, the Suffering Saroja will not be able to complete your test, and that would be the seed for Saroja to grow up, get good at editing RNA/DNA and demand revenge: the destruction of the planet of bad people who won't lend their pencil sharpener to a girl in the middle of an exam.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    SuiDhaaga likes this.
  10. SuiDhaaga

Ohhhh, that is painful

Won't you get in trouble if you talk in the middle of an exam?