1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Creativity and Innovation week Contest - BEST OUT OF WASTE

Discussion in 'Creative Crafts' started by Chitra29, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Smitham84

Smitham84 Gold IL'ite

Dear ILS ,

Please find some of my crafts from waste (I've already posted some of them in the Hobbies section ) .

1. Flowers form corn leaves (the stems are made from coconut midribs) .

2013-01-01_22-13-31_230.jpg

2 . Flowers made with Pista Shells (the stems are made from coconut midribs.

DSC05789.JPG

pista.jpg

3. Utility box from Cerial carton .

2013-01-01_22-11-07_121.jpg

4 . Flowers made from egg cartons (the stems are made from coconut midribs) .

2013-01-01_22-16-46_231.jpg

Will try to post some more in 2 days

21 people like this.
  2. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi All

I have made few best out of waste stuffs but dont have step by step photo and cant do it now as i am not in india
    I might share few of threads where i have posted my creation.

Will i be allowed to take part in the competition?? :-D

These are few links
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/c...-golu-my-craft-contributions.html#post2522453
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/c...-golu-my-craft-contributions.html#post2522464
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/c...-hairband-decoration-plastic-bottle-caps.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/creative-crafts/166144-beat-heat-recycled-craft-bottle.html

There is one more with step by step photos,again a link that i had shared in IL
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/creative-crafts/146382-make-fancy-button-badge-within.html

Hope you all will like my creations :)

3 people like this.
  3. angelvoice

angelvoice Gold IL'ite

hi.. my small creation.. feel stupid uploading it after seeing the magnificient stuff here... mine looks like made by a small kid.. :bonk
    Brocade Pen Stand/Makeup Storage stand
    I made this about 3 months back..
    Materials I used: Empty plastic curd container, Waste brocade border leftover after blouse stitching, fevicol, rhinestones, red glass paint.
    Steps
    1. Clean and dry the container well. Cut a long strip out of brocade cloth according to the width of the container.
    2. Paste brocade cloth around container by wrapping around (leaving the rim) with Fevicol. Make sure it is pasted well at the bottom also. Leave to dry.
    3. Paste rhinestones with Fevicol. Paint the rim of the container red to hide the white plastic. Brocade pen/makeup stand ready!
    If you want you can paint the inner surface of the container to hide the white plastic completely.
    Hope you liked my simple craft.
    Reuse! Recycle! Reduce!

Attached Files:

14 people like this.
  4. Sripura

Sripura Silver IL'ite

Dear ilites,

Wonderful thread and wonderful craft work...after a long gap i have today logged into my account...i wish to something and upload...
    once again, gr8 job guys!!!

Sripura

5. maliniglow

maliniglow Gold IL'ite

My first entry post continuation...

Recycled Bangles:

Things you'll require:
    Old bangles
    Thread ( yarn/woolen/silk)
    Stones

For thread Bangles: You need to tie one end and wrap the bangles with thread. Like this you could create and have fun with different colors.

Copy of threadbangles02.jpg

For stone studded bangles : Stick stones to your old bangles. Beautiful Mutlicolor bangles are ready.

IMG1411A.jpg

Egg Shell Photo frame:

For frame base - old table calendar/old diary cover /waste cardboard

Egg shells - you could break into big or small of your choice

Glue - I have used fevicol

Step 1: I have placed my painting/photo in my old caldendar( I used it as base). For top base, I used old diary cover.

Step 2 : I soaked egg shell for two three hours in Soap/liquid wash water, because I don't like egg odour. Then, I breaked egg shells into small and normal pieces, and pasted on the top base.

STep 3: Paint it for mosiac effect.

STep 4: I have applied left over varnish, and it lasts for longer

Egg shell photoframe compilation.jpg

Greeting Cards using old dired flowers + invitation cards

In one of my greeting card, I have using invitation card border, and pasted old dried roses in the middle.

IMG1457A.jpg

Tree Decoratives:

Old tree - My holy basil ( thulasi tree) died of scorching heat, so I don't like throwing it because I used it for two years ( for my tea, juices and other uses).

Waste bottle- i have used glass juice bottle

I painted my glass bottle in gold paint, and my holy basil tree into black and red. Decorative Tree is ready!!

DSCN0311.JPG

My other ART FROM WASTE crafts link:

Art from waste with paper

Photoframe and other crafts - ART FROM WASTE

7 people like this.
  6. Kungumam

Kungumam Gold IL'ite

I make my bookmarks out of the ads they dump in our mail boxes every week...
    Just cut strips of the size u need and you are done.

1 person likes this.
  7. mdoggie

mdoggie Senior IL'ite

Patchwork baby blanket from baby's clothes

Hi!

I live in Chennai and since it is always hot and humid in here, I wanted to make a soft, cotton, lightweight blanket for my daughter to shade her from the sun rays and mosquitoes. All I could find was knit blankets or fleece, which would not serve the purpose so I decided to make one for her myself.

When I was looking for materials to use for this blanket, I thought of using my baby's new-born size clothes which she had outgrown by then. You know about the baby clothes - cute bunnies, teddy bears, etc.

I looked up for basics of patchworking and started my work.

What you need:
    Clothes which my baby outgrew (about 20)
    Lining fabric (a piece from my mom's old cotton saree)
    A pair of scissors
    Ruler
    Marker
    Pencil
    Sewing machine and thread
    A lot of patience :p

Step 1
    Select the materials with care - soft cotton clothes only.

Step 2
    Using a ruler and marker, make 2.5 inch by 2.5 inch squares on each of the clothes. (I wanted 2 inch square blocks and 0.25 inch seam on each side, so I made squares of 2.5 inch by 2.5 inch, which meant I made 3 lines - see pic 1 which has more detailed instructions). [​IMG]

Some of my fabrics did not have regular designs, so I did some fuzzy cutting (making a square around the teddy bear or the honey bee to ensure that the whole figure comes inside the square rather than the figure cut in between and hiding in seams). [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 3
    Cut along the thick white lines in pic 1.

[​IMG]

Step 4
    Count the number of squares and decide on the dimensions of the blanket. I chose rectangle for my daughter's blanket.

Step5
    For the chosen dimension, arrange the squares in such a way that the squares with the same design or of the same colour do not come next to each other.

Step 6
    Sewing part: take 2 squares at a time, place them one on top the other, right sides facing each other and sew on the wrong side on the thin black lines. Continue adding another square till you make a long ribbon to the size of the one side (length of breadth) of the blanket.

Step 7
    Now sew more ribbons till you have sewn all the squares into ribbons.

Step 8
    Join the ribbons one below the other till you get one finished piece.

Step 9
    Turn the piece so that you have the wrong side facing you and iron the seams flat.

Step 10
    Take a soft piece of fabric for lining (so the seams will not bother the baby) which would the size of the finished piece plus 0.25 inch on each side for the seam.

Step 11
    Place the lining fabric on the patchwork (right sides facing each other) and sew the end together on 3 sides.

Step 12
    Now reverse the blanket so that the wrong sides are facing each other and sew together the 4th side by folding the seams inwards.

Step 13
    Since I had some frills from another frock, I put it in the middle of the blanket. This not only looked nice but also held the lining and patchwork together.

[​IMG]

Step 14
    You can skip step 13 and do this instead. Mark the diagonals of the blanket with a pencil and sew on the marking so that the lining and the patchwork are always together.

I made this in October 2011 and I have washed this in my fully automatic machine many times and still it holds together. My daughter absolutely loves it. The blanket has become small for her now, but it is a nice thing to play with - she puts it flat on the floor and starts identifying all animals/figures in there - honey bee, teddy bear, elephant, fish, tiger, giraffe, etc.

10 people like this.
  8. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

all the art works shared here are fantastic. all the best to the participants.

andal

9. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Crafts pulled me in :)
    Woolen wall hanging:
    Things required:
    1.leftover woolens of various colors
    2.Stick(I used 2 sticks from old broom :bonk), It can be done with even 3,4 sticks..
    3.Decorative things like beads,mirrors if you have any

Procedure:
    1.Tie the sticks with the woolen in '+' shape
    2.Weave the thread around the sticks.You can change the color of the woolen inbetween by tied the previous woolen.
    3.Here I didnt do any decoration.Just made it with woolen itself.I plaited the woolen and hanged in the corners.If you want you can stick some beads in the corners.
    4.Tie the woolen in one corner of the stick and hang it on the wall.Here goes the nice wall hanging without a paisa spent.:thumbsup

Attached Files:

10 people like this.
  10. gopika1406

gopika1406 New IL'ite