Cradle Ceremony

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Rakhii, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitvish,

I was hoping you would throw some light on this. A few days ago my husband and I performed my Sister In Laws Seemantham (Hubby's sister) in our home. We called a Gurukkul and Seemantham and Valikappu were done on the same day.

Now, my mother in law is saying that even Cradle ceremony is our responsibility. The baby is due only in the second week of August but I want to make sure that we are prepared for the cradle ceremony well in advance (SIL is over 35 and the doctor warned us that she might not carry full term). Can you please advice what is expected out of me when I am hosting a cradle ceremony for the little one at my home? Since we don't have a traditional Indian cradle here, we are going to use bassinet in place of cradle.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Rakhii

Any advice anyone?

3. ottawagirl

ottawagirl Senior IL'ite

Hi Rakhi,
    I am thinking you are talking about punyajananam or namakaranam? This is the ceremony where the baby is laid in the cradle (basinet) and named?
    I think there's a chitvish thread on this ceremony.
    You can also ask your local priest to see if he needs to do something for that ceremony.

Cheers,
    Paddu

4. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Yet another lovely creation!

5. Rakhii

Yes, Ottawagirl, by Cradle ceremony I mean namakaran. I was searching for that thread but cant find it.

6. Amruta7

Amruta7 New IL'ite

Hi
    Last year I have attended a cradle ceremony I hope this will give you some idea. Since we don't get cradles here, you can use bassinet and you can decorate it with artificial garlands or with some flower bouquets or you can use both. After the guests arrived put the baby in the bassinet, generally father of the baby will tell the baby's name in the baby's ear,or sometimes baby's grandparents will tell the name to the baby. Distribute sweets to family and friends.
    After all done everybody will bless the baby, then you can proceed to the lunch or dinner or snacks whatever you have planned for.

Hope this will give you some idea...!