Covering gray hair - Vanity or a Need of the Times?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rihana, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

As a child, I recall any aunty or uncle in the neighborhood or family circle who started to dye hair was always in for some leg-pulling and good-natured teasing and even some snide comments.

Fast forward to now - we live in a different world, and perhaps white hair is starting earlier too.

What do you think about dyeing hair to mask the white? For personal, social, and work-related reasons.

And on a more practical note - any hair dye brand recommendations? Is it a DIY venture or better to get done at a salon?

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I myself am a bit ambivalent about it. Surely do not think it is vanity, and a well-dyed head of hair is nice to see. As long as it is not unnaturally jet black.

It used to look nice to see grays - gave a 'distinguished' appearance to some.

It was a bit disturbing to hear from some friends and ex-colleagues that the first time they tried dyeing hair was before starting a job-change-hunt.

======
    Gauri, hope it falls under E&PG topics...

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I color my hair religiously. I started graying prematurely and it is not a good look on me. I started at a salon but I now do it at home. Dark brown looks better than black, which can look Gothic. The nice thing about the salon is that they can add in different tones so the color doesn't look 'flat', but a monthly $150 is more than I care to spend.
    As for brands, I like Clairol. Natural Instincts is good for semi-permanent and Age Defy is a good permanent color. Just be careful to put down paper towels around your bathroom if you are doing this at home. The color can stain fixtures.

1 person likes this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I suppose that depends on how the discussion shapes up. If it stays predominantly philosophical, we'll keep it here. If it starts to tread too much into product and techniques territory, I'll move it to a more appropriate forum. :)

My opinion on the subject is the very original 'it depends'. :) In our world there is no denying that perception matters. If you have a personality that can effortlessly pull off the salt and pepper look (George Clooney, Indira Gandhi), then more power to you. If despite your best efforts you end up looking like an escapee from the local lunatic asylum who hasn't seen the toothy end of a comb in a few months, then head for the hair color aisle.

5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Watch out! If you do move it, I might argue that hair is very much a matter of personal growth. I'm sure Rihana will appreciate this deft and rather meta combination of her latest threads. :wink:

songbird46, satchitananda and Rihana like this.
  6. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rihana,
    I like this thread. I am also wondering why can't we just be ourselves. But unfortunately, society, work place, bank, friends everywhere it matters how we look than what we are really as person. As everybody covers gray hair, even at 50, 60 +, we are forced to do, as we look odd (not old) who is not dying.

As Gauri said it looks good on somebody.
    Again as for society now, lot of men with gray hair here and there, look intellectual, matured, even rich look. ex: reserve bank governor , raghuram rajan (he is too dying now it seems but when he took this new job, he had gray hair).

But it is not same as per society for women now.

I know I look very dull with gray hair , so I am dying, (it is all personal - when I look in mirror I want look myself again and again, workplace - we have to look presentable (for some it may not apply , they still look good with gray hair), I do it in salon , schwarzkopf, dark brown. Black looks too black for me. Lot of indian women can go for brown or dark brown I feel. I can't do at home nicely by myself so going salon.

1 person likes this.
  7. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Vanity/ personal reason applies to me. I am actually allergic to hair color so I just apply henna or henna/ indigo when time permits or not feeling tooooo lazy. I apply at home and I get a dark brown with some red "highlights" and it coves greys well enough. Being allergic to hair color saves me a lot of money :)

My husband has dark brown hair and barely noticeable greys and he tells me he will never color his hair and makes fun of me when I do ;-).

1 person likes this.
  8. Gauri03

Eww! Now you've got me thinking about all sorts of personal growths!! :eek

9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

A Pssshaw, to your Eww!

I was thinking of the wondrous magic of the stem cells that sustain lustrous hair, turn over the lining in your gut every few days, replace the lining in your blood vessels every few weeks, while leaving your neurons alone for a lifetime, only to avenge insults by one day turning on you in a tumorous rage.
    What were you thinking of? thinkingsmiley

songbird46 likes this.
  10. Gauri03

So do you sport a distinguished salt and pepper look, or is it Einstein-esque madness up there? Or maybe the trying-too-hard-to-impress-the-PYT-undergrads, dark slicked back look? Which one is it professor? :biggrin2:

songbird46 likes this.