Coursera Courses

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Vaikuntha, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Are the coursers courses worth it? If yes, which courses would you recommend to audit, or get certification in. Please share. The courses can be any field, please also share the field. I am trying to enroll in some courses. But I am do not like to pay money. All my education was free- till MS in US and I have gotten in this bad habit of not spending on education (myself). I do spend on children.

2. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

I think it would help if you give an idea of the field . I too do a couple of coursera courses ..mostly they are all about cloud technologies . some were to get certified at work , for my own learning and for future job change too. a few people recommended it to me. i dont know if its worth it on its own ,i do a mix with other resources most of the times like edx , udemy , linuxacademy , acg , whizlabs etc but it mainly depends on what kind of courses you are looking at in my opinion.

3. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

I like edx and udemy too.

4. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Vaikuntha likes this.
  5. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

I love coursera courses. I took a few to upgrade my skills at work. They are definitely worth it.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  6. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

It depends , like i am trying to pickup ML classes , but i need to catch up on statistics and related items. I took a subscription something $39 , will cancel after some months.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Coursera is a good option if you are looking for a certification to add to your resume. It has some credibility, though the credibility of a MOOC certification itself is quite low. So, if your aim is more than gaining knowledge, then, consider Courera and pay its fee. The discussion forums of each course are active and follow proper rules of asking questions and answering them. Auditing a course is a waste of time as unless one is extremely disciplined, one will not stick with the course long enough.

Udemy is a better option if you want to learn a certain skill. The courses can be offered by anybody with a microphone and computer, so the quality varies whereas in Coursera courses are offered by universities and there is more quality check. In Udemy, go by the number of enrolled, recent reviews, and when content was last updated. I've tried Udemy courses on about 7-8 topics and it took some searching, but for each topic I was able to find the kind of course I needed. Each course costs only about $10-$12 and they are cool and prompt about refunds. In most courses, the instructor is not very responsive to questions you have. Some of them do not upload the source code of the examples used.

So, if you want a certification to show your knowledge and are sure you can meet the deadlines of Coursera courses, go for that. Else, Udemy is a good one to learn new topics.

The Fundamentals of Computing | Coursera "Fundamentals of Computing" specialization is a well organized one with some of the most delightfully funny and knowledgeable professors and lecturers. It used to be a five course specialization, I see it is now seven. Challenging but a great set of courses.

Vaikuntha likes this.