1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Counselling For The Divorce Prone!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Counselling for the divorse prone!

Every year around the month of March, our club celebrates the Special Services Week. We undertake projects with the singular aim of improving the quality of life of the people. Last year, we had a special Students’ Week to coach students who would be facing their final exam during the following month. Each of the committee members was given a particular subject with instructions to keep themselves fully prepared. One of the committee members was very keen that he should be given History as he claimed that he had some special skill in teaching History that his teacher had taught him. When we asked him to demonstrate his skill to us, he gladly accepted. This Mogul Emperor, for example, died in 1666 as it was so easy to remember. ‘The dying emperor is lying on an ornamental cot with three legs shaped like a 6. The fourth one is broken and replaced with a straight wooden log shaped like a 1. Do you get the year? It is 1666. As you know it cannot be 6661 or any other combination as no one dies post-dated!’ When we asked him which Emperor it was who died in 1116, he blinked and said that his teacher only taught him how to remember the date and not the event! We hurriedly verified with Google and found that it was Shah Jahan! As there were no other takers for History, we reluctantly gave it to him to handle!

Needless to say that the week was a fiasco! The Maths teacher was stuck with an algebraic problem which he could not solve the whole of that week despite the help that the students themselves offered him. The English teacher got stuck when he was asked to give example of ‘gerund’. When the week ended, we all heaved a sigh of relief.

This year we decided to set up a counselling team for divorce aspirants. We gave an ad in a local newspaper that free counselling would be offered to people who aspired for divorce. We included two lawyer members in the team and they gave us a lecture on how to counsel divorce aspirants. The following case study was given and discussed threadbare.

A judge was interviewing a woman regarding her pending divorce, and asked, "What are the grounds for your divorce?" She replied, "About four acres and a nice little home in the middle of the property with a stream running by." "No," he said, "I mean what is the foundation of this case?" "It is made of concrete, brick and mortar," she responded. “I mean," he continued, "What are your relations like?" "I have an aunt and uncle living here in town, and so do my husband's parents." He said, "Do you have a real grudge?" "No," she replied, "We have a two-car carport and have never really needed one." "Please," he tried again, "is there any infidelity in your marriage?" "Yes, both my son and daughter have stereo sets. We don't necessarily like the music, but the answer to your questions is yes." "Ma'am, does your husband ever beat you up?" "Yes," she responded, "about twice a week he gets up earlier than I do." Finally, in frustration, the judge asked, "Lady, why do you want a divorce?" “Oh, I don't want a divorce," she replied. "I've never wanted a divorce. My husband does. He said he can't communicate with me!"

On the first day around noon, a gentleman came with his lunch box. He probably thought that there would be a big rush and he could finish his lunch while waiting! We told him that he could have his lunch before meeting us and shot back that lunch was his major issue that called for an immediate divorce. ‘I have been married for twenty years and I get the same damned menu for the last twenty years from my wife on health grounds. All weeds, boiled vegetables and salads! I can’t get rid of this food. Help me to get rid of her!’ he told us. He opened his lunch box and showed us his menu for the day and our stomach turned. We offered him lunch in the club and directed him to a competent counsellor.

A couple of hours later, another man came in who looked like having dressed for a fancy dress competition. “Precisely!’ he shouted and told us that he had been married for twelve years and during this period, it was his mother-in-law who chose his dress. She had a special flair for colours and hated men who dressed in black and white like a steward in a Five Star hotel! His wife was quite sympathetic but could do nothing against her mum’s wish. This man wanted to divorce his wife since he could not divorce his mother-in-law! We packed him too to the counsellor and decided to close our project straightaway as the marital problems seemed insurmountable!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    sindmani, Doree, swathi27 and 11 others like this.

2. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    Though both the social services organised by your club members ended in a cropper
    at least we got a humorous post. Wish that your members indulge in different social activities every month so that we will get more interesting and humorous posts from you.

PS

Viswamitra likes this.
  3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Hehe! You had me laughing in splits. What a title: “Counselling for the divorce prone” which I consider is a precursor to more advanced “Counselling for the divorce addicted”.

Why addicted because Henry VIII is the archetypal divorce aspirant I recalled on seeing your blog. The man would have benefited from your benevolent intervention. His plight is woeful than the food-deprived husband and wardrobe-deprived husband. Imagine a conversation with Henry VIII walking into your counselling camp.

Henry VIII: I want to divorce Catherine of Aragon.
    Counsellor: Why?
    Henry VIII: I want a son. I want a religion. (Psst) I also want to marry that popsy Boleyn.
    Counsellor: Divorce is expensive. Annul the marriage.
    Henry VIII: I want to divorce Anne Boleyn.
    Counsellor: We just fixed a divorce for you. Another one?
    Henry VIII: (Psst) There's this Miss Seymour ...
    Counsellor: Ok, we don't need your sordid details. Behead her.
    Henry VIII: Help me! I want to divorce my wife.
    Counsellor: What happened?
    Henry VIII: Jane died. I married Anne. I like her not! I like her not! I need a divorce.
    Counsellor: Tell the court that you did not sleep with her and annul the marriage.
    Henry VIII: I made a mistake. I want a divorce from Catherine Howard.
    Counsellor: Again? Is your headsman still around? Prepare the axe.
    Henry VIII: I want to ...
    Counsellor: Poison her! Drown her! Sedate her! Don't come to us anymore. We are shutting down our camp. Marital problems seemed insurmountable!

Divorce has never been easy for the common man or the king alike. The stretch John Milton had to go to popularise divorce is astounding. He anonymously publishes “The Doctrine and Discipline of Divorce”, then when his book is condemned, he strikes his diatribe against censorship in “Areopagitica”. Poor man! He had to go from pillar to post to publisher to defend his ideas on divorce. He is another prime candidate who would have sympathised with our food-deprived and wardrobe-deprived men.

But why? Cheeniya, such resourceful and non-profit counselling would have debunked airy notions of romanticised and happily-ever-after domesticity with the first-hand accounts of people who plunged into this marital well. Welcome to the real world (wriggling from the matrix). Hilarious blog!

Doree, blindpup10, Cheeniya and 5 others like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I appreciate the social consciousness of your club but why take such a high risk? Teaching children on various subjects itself is a high risk as they tend to be far more intelligent than the previous generation. As a follow up, your club decided to counsel the divorce prone the following year. Give me a break!

If my mother-in-law were to choose my outfits and I decided to wear them to make her happy, Shoba would have divorced me long time back. Who in the right frame of mind would eat weeds, boiled vegetables and salads every day for lunch? Both your visitors don't deserve counseling but deserve a good judge who could sanction divorce instantly without even reviewing the witnesses.

Your case study had me in splits. The husband has a solid ground (Wait a minute! I can't use such language), I mean good reason to divorce his wife.

Wait! I have changed my mind. If not communicating well is a reason a spouse can divorce, I may be in trouble everyday. My wife complaints that she doesn't understand most of what I talk everyday. I turn to the IL members to write my snippets hoping they will understand me and respond nicely. :)

Please let me know what is the next social service event in your club and I may need some counseling! Even if I don't get a good counseling, at least, I can have a feeling of attending an event in a humor club by watching all actions around me.

Viswa

vaidehi71, kkrish, Cheeniya and 2 others like this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    I misunderstood the title.
    I thought club members are mostly seniors and have many kind of experiences in marital life after staying together 30,40,50 years. I also thought that you would seek the divorce wanted couples (reasons can be many......from non communication, bland food to putting wet towels on bed which I dislike a lot) 0n the lines "In olden days relationships were different, reminding them saptapadhi, other sacred marriage vows etc etc and advise them to live happily ever after as seniors are leading. This kind of preaching I expected. On the contrary you tried to know the reasons for divorce and on hearing them must have felt dizzy and closed the camp! Never would have imagined that they all could be reasons for separation!
    Hilarious.
    Syamala

PushpavalliSrinivasan likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

@PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear PS
    Thank you for your opening response. We call it 'Bhoni' in Tamil! I am glad that you enjoy my lighter Ramblings. I have plenty of subjects to ramble about! I always try to look at the lighter of life. Life is as it is tough. Why make it more difficult with our sob stories?
    Sri

vaidehi71 likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

@Iravati

A great response! But I received it with mixed feelings. Who can forget Richard Burton as Henry VIII and Genevieve Bujold as Anne Boleyn in the movie 'Anne of the Thousand Days'? An intense drama that tugged at our heart. And strangely while it made us sad with the beheading of Anne, we still could not condemn Henry. On the contrary, we pitied him and his idiosyncrasies. If we had been his counsel, we would have given him better and more humane ideas to tackle Anne. A mother sacrificing her life so that her daughter could become the Queen! Sorry I got carried away!

Now John Milton! I shuddered hearing his name. His Paradise Lost was a terror for the easy going students like me. I remember a classmate of mine asking our English Professor why Milton should make everyone suffer if he had lost something!

I should tell you that the decision of the club to give up this project was not an easy one to take. The lawyer guys were particularly unhappy that their pet project was about to be shelved but other members pointed out that their hearts were already heavy and any further load would require them to be hospitalized!
    Sri

shyamala1234 and vaidehi71 like this.
  8. Cheeniya

@Viswamitra

A FB from you is like winning the Finest Post Award! I have always had a lot of admiration for Shobha's discerning taste. Her choice of you as her life partner is a solid example.
    The trouble with my club is that they choose annual projects without thinking if we have the wherewithal to handle them effectively. They usually plunge into projects which invariably leave them bruised! In the food case, the wife of the complainant came to our club and delivered a lecture on how to live for hundred years through consumption of natural food. 'Cooking is adding poison to the food', she warned us. I remembered Tamizhvanan, founder-editor of the Tamil weekly Kalkandu. He wrote several books on healthy living topping it with 'How to live for a hundred years?' through eating proper food and exercise. He died at 50!
    Sri

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri sir
    You are going to find me repeating that I envy you your friends every time you write a snippet about them.

What a colorful and life-loving set they are! No wonder your snippets are all jolly and put a smile on my face every time I read them.

Your reaction to the food in the first "client"s tiffin box was worth a thousand words! Reminded me of a friend's comment.
    One Sunday he called my husband and over general conversation he asked "What's for breakfast?".
    To my husband's reply "poori", he responded in a voice loaded with yearning, "Unga veetala poori ellam pannuvangala? (Do they make poori and all in your home?)"
    I was left wondering if your first client was our friend. :)

I recall this joke:
    A doctor tells a man: "Dhinamum kaalaila veneer kudiyunga. (Drink hot water every morning)"
    Man: "Adhaan kudikkiren doctor, enga veetla adha coffeennu solraanga! (I do that doctor; in my home they call it coffee!)"

When I read about your attempts to prepare kids for exams I never imagined things could turn out the way they did. After all what can go wrong in teaching history and math?
    But your set proved me wrong sir! That was priceless!

Looking forward to more such humorous and entertaining snippets of your life.

10. Cheeniya

@shyamala1234

My dear Syamala
    As I was reading your feedback I thought you were being very critical of my post until I read your concluding sentence and felt relieved and happy! Talking of Saptapathi and other aspects of our wedding ceremony, I would only say that nobody pays any attention to them! If they do, they may be very reluctant to go ahead with the ceremony! This is what Sapthapathi is all about:
    "Now let us make a vow together. We shall share love, share the same food, share our strengths, share the same tastes. We shall be of one mind, we shall observe the vows together. I shall be the Samaveda, you the Rigveda, I shall be the Upper World, you the Earth; I shall be the Sukhilam, you the Holder - together we shall live and beget children, and other riches; come thou, O sweet-worded girl!" (Courtesy: Google)

Forget other things. I have seen couples having heated arguments on what to order for food in a hotel. I have never seen the husband and wife ordering for the same items of food. Marriage is nothing but 'unity in diversity'!
    Sri