Cotton Saree of Bengal-'Tanter Saree'

Discussion in 'North Eastern and Eastern States' started by Alakananda, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Alakananda

Alakananda New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

All Saree lovers!

In India we find different types of sarees at different places...Like we all know about the famous sarees of the south...likewise do you know that the bengalis wear a great variety of saree and I dont know how much the saree lovers know about it...

The most famous saree type used in Bengal is the "Tant " means cotton saree...which has gorgeous borders ...That is the speciality of saree in Bengal..These cotton saress has great varieties...
    Now a days I have seen benarasi is also made out of cotton....which is equivalently pretty as a benarasi saree.

thought of sharing these with you all as I wear saree and buy a lot also.

What about you

Cheers!
    Alakananda

2. MadhumitaIndia

MadhumitaIndia New IL'ite

Hi Alakananda,

Nice Thread!
    BEngal's Tant are world famous.
    I also love tant saree..In Kolkata or in West Bengal the Tant saree is available in various variety...suitable for all age groups .
    Tants's saree is like a identity of bengali ladies' wear

3. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

can you please share some photographs of these sarees. Though I have Bengal cotton but not sure whether it is Tant.

4. MadhumitaIndia

MadhumitaIndia New IL'ite

Hi Lalitha,,,

Nice to hear that you have Bengali cotton sarees..Actually Cotton saries are available in Bengal in different qualities...one of the types is Tant ,though Tant is a very famous bengali word and it is only the type by which the sarees are made....hope I can make your idea clear...I can take some of my sarees pics and send you accross...

5. Saswati127

Saswati127 Senior IL'ite

Infact Tant saree is the most elegant saree. A women looks very smart, gorgeous, elegant in Tant saree. I have two pieces of saree, one in yellow and green and other in red and green, both of them are just fantastic.

6. Steven

Steven New IL'ite

Saree are the most favourites for women specially indian women. New styles and trends have redefined sarees and now it has came up a long way from traditional to style trend.

Fashion shows on these days are using saree in an innovative way that gives our indian women a fashionable touch with traditional look. Kolkata fashion and lifestyle week is also in a way to promote our home tradition in a new way with a theme of Eco-Fashion.

7. payalpyne

payalpyne New IL'ite

arrey tant er sareer opor discussion aar ami thakbo naa...ami tant pagol aar bishesh korey jamdani er pagol...arrey ruplekha saree oh toh join korey chey..i know them well ..they've really exclusive collection my friends...anyway aaj ami join korlam...aar sob forum dekhtey dekhtey choley elam etai....anyway happy shopping ..:)

8. Aditi203

Aditi203 New IL'ite

004.jpg

Bengali-style-saree-144x300.jpg

cotton-sarees.jpg

images.jpg

kjjs-music-launch-aishwarya-rai-bachchan-jaya-bachchan.jpg
    hi Lalitha..
    i've managed to get some pictures for u!

Sari Safari - Sari styles from different regions

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I love cotton Saris...Will you pls give more info on types of cotton saris n cost ranges n best place to buy in Kolkata, Howrah area...
    Thank You

10. dakshayaeni

dakshayaeni Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Bengal Tant is one of its own kind. Originally they were woven in hand looms slowly power looms took over. But here in West Bengal among the rich and famous they wear mostly hand made sarees. Tanties or weavers take minimum 5-6 days to come out with their final product and they buy cotton bales or yarns in bulk. Handloom Tant could be woven in different grades of cotton, the most elegant among them gives you a very soft texture and you can almost see the 'bunon'. During summer its best to wear cotton sarees. Phulia, Shantiniketan, Malda are famous for Tant weavers. Bishnupur is famous for silk mostly glossy type. Tant can go with Kantha stich as well. However due to social neglect and lack of entrepreneurship, these handloom industry is now almost fading away. Some people now understands the challenges and have started to support Indian handloom including Bengal Tant Weavers.

Sarees could range from 350 to 10,000 depending on powerloom made and handmade and quality of cotton. This is just FYI ladies.