costume of goa

Discussion in 'Goa' started by kavikrishna71, Feb 7, 2008.

1. kavikrishna71

kavikrishna71 New IL'ite

hi , can somebody send me some pictures of traditional goa costume please? we have costume appreciation day in our institute and i need to dress up in traditional goan costume or Orissa costume. but i couldnt find anything on net(nothing detailed). so if there are people from these area, can you please help me?i would really appreciate it. thankyou

2. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

hi,
    Almost all the hindus wear sarees & all the christians wear only western dresses,like suits,skirts,jeans only. nothing special over there.

3. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

A typical Goan Costume is nothing but a midi-frock a perfect 1/4th sleeved long frock covering your knees with a bow to tie at around your waist. The neck line is usually square in the front and back. This frock is usually tight till the waist and flows down loose. Of course this is worn by the 35 + crowd. Else, you can dress up in to long flowing pants with boot cuts of course in colours like blue, orange, red or yellow with a transparent long top, a scarf on your head. Do not miss to wear chunky beaded jewellery and shoes with pointed heels. Wear your hair loose and a RED lipstick is a must.

4. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Kavi,
    Anything funky you can wear in Goan costume, you can wear wrap arounds/sleevless tops with really fancy hat and jwelleries made up of shell or beads....or you can always go for a traditional fishing community costume.....like a saree wrap around waist but upto knee length....and a little top like blouse with a shawl/scarf to cover the front as you must have seen in films.
    About Orissa costume, (me being an Oriya), we wear traditional sarees.....mostly sarees.......and these are costly......if you would like to buy the authentic one.....these come in different names like sambalpuri/bomkai/sonpuri/pasapalli.....etc......
    And you can wear any gold/fashion jwelleries with it but the matching bead jwelleries looks great...
    Let us know, what you have decided to wear.......

5. kavikrishna71

kavikrishna71 New IL'ite

thankyou so much for the replies friends. i really appreciate it. Actually they gave me the Orissa costume but as i couldnt find any specific draping style, the only other choice left was Goa for me. So, even i thought of wearing a big floral design gowns. But i know it will be very simple, because all the other students are gonna dressup really good with diff. saree draping and ornaments.(i particularly love the bengali draping and jewels).but i dont have any other choice,right? do you have any particular type of draping? i heard you wear a bit loose blouse with short sleeves. Is it so? can you send me some pictures or any link please?thankyou

6. kavikrishna71

kavikrishna71 New IL'ite

Hi mals, does hindus of goa have any specific type of saree draping during marriages or something like that? or is it the regular draping?

7. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Kavi,
    Oriyas and Bengali's wear sarees in the same style........but the cloth itself is different and that will let others know which part you r from.....And about jwelleries, there is a typical type, mainly on silver........and is called filigri work, you might have seen in Odissi Dances.......they are not too costly, so, let's see, if you will able to get them.
    Regards.
    I got this link, so sending it to you. Orissa Sarees,Ikat Sari,Cuttack Sarees,Orissa Bomkai Sari

8. sugarnspice

sugarnspice Bronze IL'ite

Hey Mals, which part of Goa r u from, I missed the RED lipstick when i was there.