Cost of Living In Trivandrum!

Discussion in 'Trivandrum' started by ANK, Mar 2, 2009.

1. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Hi Gals!

Can anyone give me an approximate estimate, as to how much will it cost for a family of 5, with own house, to live in Tvm. This should include - Utilities...like water, elec, phone bills, gorceries, eating out once a week, maid for 5 days a week...........

Thanks gals...looking forward to ur inputs!

2. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Hi ANK,
    Trivandrum is comparitively cheaper place to live... and very good too.. one of the funniest thing i would say is you would never get lost!!!
    okie let me come to the point...

Maid would be the costliest... In our house my mom has a maid who does every thing from cutting veggies to washing clothes and folding them and she's paying her 500rs

You say you have an own house.. so it is not a problem...

Eating out is a no problem thing in trivandrum...it wouldn't cost you more than 200 rs to eat out once in a weak.. (for 5 )

Electricity again depends on how you use... If you have an inverter or generator... it would go up... but again it should be around 200 - 300 MAX i guess!!!

I have never seen our water bill go over 30 rs!!
    Then you have phone bills... that surely depends on you..

Gas, Petrol,Groceries.... which am not really sure of...

There were ladies who used to bring veggies to our home... my mom used to bargain with them!!!
    but it would definitely help if you go to the market and buy... With Rs 50 you can buy a great deal of veggies for a week!!!!

And for other stuffs like soap, dals,... you have Spencer's , Varkey's or Margin Free Market... You might get every thing at one shot!!
    Have a nice time in tvm.. its a wonderful place!By the way where do you plan to stay in tvm?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  3. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Hi Cutepavi!

Thanks! Sounds great! If we do re-locate, we will be in Peroorkada......and its Abhay Nagar, centrally located to all the important places around. I have been doing a bit reading and talking to family and friends, and its almost the same feed-back that I am getting...that it is much cheaper and great in Tvm...compared to other metros...so thats great news!

We do have a maid now, sent through the Seva, but I think she's being paid Rs. 2000 or so! how do I get someone as cheap as for Rs. 500? It would be great to know, that is if u could!

Thanks a ton!

4. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Hey ANK,
    I was talking about the maids who come for like 2 hours a day and do all the chores.. it is 500 for them.. If you go to SEVA and other agencies.. it would definitely cost you more.. And i have heard that you cannot really trust them.. because of their stealing problems,.. am not sure about that.. yeah they would cost you like 2000rs...
    There would be ladies working at your neighbors houses... after you relocate you can slowly enquire about them.. and hire them... they would be a lot cheaper... as they do not have the SEVA brand attached to them!!!

5. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Hi ANK,as Pavi said part-time maids are more cheaper than seva type.If you have good neighbors they can give you an idea of those available & their demands.Through seva you never know how they will be.Is Abhay nagar the one near to Ambalamukku.

ammu

6. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Cutepavi! Will check it our through family there! Problem is relatives living close by all have maids from Seva.....but i will check with other family and friends there!

7. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Yes Ammukutty...Abhay Nagar near Ambalamukku.
    Will check out private maids! Thanks!

8. milk82

milk82 New IL'ite

Hello.

We are a Norwegian / American family that is wondering of moving to India for a year. I have been searching around online and found Trivandrum a nice place. But have 100 questions. Hope someone is able to answer some of them. :)

What is the cost per month for;
    3-4 BR house to rent?
    Day Care / pre-school for my 2 years old son?
    full time/ living maid? (per month)
    rent a car?

How long can we stay in India on a Tourist visa?
    Do average people in Trivandrum speak English?
    Would you say Trivandrum and Kerala District is a friendly and safe place?