Cost Of Living in Penang

Discussion in 'Indians in Malaysia' started by sus, Nov 14, 2007.

1. sus

sus New IL'ite

Hi

I would be shifting very soon to Penang with my husband. It would be very helpful, if you can provide me with information around Living Expenses in Penang , as perdetails below:-

1>Semi-furnished/un-furnished House Rent in condomoinums and a few suggested decent middle-range places to stay

2> Cost of Living - ELectricity, Gas, Groceries & COnsumables - if one compares it with india

3> Availability of house-help and cost of same

Thanks!
    Sus

2. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Re: Information on Living Expenses in Penang

Hi Sus,

I had lived in an area called Bukit Jambul. There are a lot of apartments there and there were a lot of Indians too. This was 4 years ago and we were paying 600 ringit for a fully furnished 3 bedroom apartment. The semi furnished apartments were generally in the range of 300 - 500 ringit. We chose to stay in Bukit Jambul only because it was closer to my husband's work place.

Hope this info helps.

3. sus

sus New IL'ite

Re: Cost Of Living in Penang - Thanx Nivedi

Hi Nivedi

Thankx for the info - its definitely helpful - this will suffice for time-being, might revert to u , in case if i have some more queries

Cheers!

Sus

4. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear,
    Your rental depends on the area you choose to stay. It is best that it is closer to your husband's work place or in case of school going children nearer to school.
    The terrace house or link house cost about - RM 800- RM1000/.If you choose an apartment depending on the type of condo it can range from 500- RM 3000.

It is difficult to get local help for domestic purpose, we generally hire indonesian thro work permit

Cost of living also depends: where do you shop or the type of groceries. On an assumption one needs about RM 1500 for a family of 3
    TQ, May God bless you.
    Jaya

5. sl_mate

sl_mate New IL'ite

hi can i survive on a salary of 5500 ringgits/month in penang. i wud b given a residence n i'm coming wid my mom. i am an english teacher n wud b working in allianze college of medical sciences. how much wud go in bills and food. i plan to live comfortably not in a style of luxury and wud want to save some money for my retirement....tx, uzma

6. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Sl mate,
    RM 5500 should be sufficient to live on a moderate scale. Again everything depends on your living style.
    Iam not in Penang, so unable to help you, but you can always reach me once you are in Malaysia. All the best, malaysians are warm hospitable people.
    May God bless you.
    Jpatma

7. spoorthib

spoorthib New IL'ite

Aii all,

Thx for the info. I am new to this site n it seems very interesting to share infos like this. I am planning to shift to KL soon, bcoz my hubby will be in his new job so.Hope to keep in touch with u there. Any suggestions are always welcomed.

Spoorthi