1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of Living in NJ,USA

Discussion in 'Indians in Edison' started by sravugarimella, Oct 17, 2009.

1. sravugarimella

sravugarimella New IL'ite

Hi All,

I currently live in London, UK. We are thinking of moving to US, but need a bit more info about quality of life, kids education etc. before making any decision. If we decide to move we need to look for areas around Skillman, NJ. Please make some time to answer my questions.
    1) I have two boys one 8yr old and 1.5yr old. Is education free in US?
    2) What will be the rent for a 2-bed house close to good schools?
    3) What will be the monthly outgoings (with 2 kids) in terms of bills, groceries, medical insurance etc.
    Will come back If I can think of anything else. Many thanks in advance.

2. sukri

sukri New IL'ite

Hi,

I'm not sure of skillman NJ, but here are some responses to your questions -

1. Public schools take students from 5yr+. so the education will be free for your 1st. day-cares/pre-schools cost a bit. depends on the school.

2. Most of the apartments in NJ are quite old and expensive. 2-bed apts can cost between USD1200-1600 or even more depending on the area and amenities. closer to NY / new/ furnished -> costs more.

3. Medical Insurance depends on your husband's employer and their contract with the insurance company. Groceries may be around 500pm, veggies/fruits/milk - around 50 per week, utilities - about 200 per month. My figures are rough and can change depending on how the individual families are.

Hope this helps.

3. sravugarimella

sravugarimella New IL'ite

Hi Sukri, Thanks for your reply. That was very helpful.