Cost of living in Kuala Lumpur/Malaysia

Discussion in 'New to KL' started by t_sireesha04, Sep 22, 2008.

1. cgm

cgm New IL'ite

@ Preethi........
    Thanku very much for the reply...

2. cgm

cgm New IL'ite

@ preethi,
    I've checked few sites for rents, and i'm totally confused reg the rent for 2 br apartments. What is the average rent for a 2 BR appt in brickfields, (both furnished/unfurnished). Are there any Incometax deductions for salaried employees or is the income directly taxed? What will be the average monthly expenditure for a family of 2 considering a decent living???

3. cgm

cgm New IL'ite

@ preethi,

Sorry for bothering u again and again...After talking to my husband's employer, we were informed that the net salary would be 7200MYR. Is that sufficient for a family of 2.

I've read each and every post of this thread, but i think most of the posts are older and hence not able to come to a conclusion...So can anyone pls give me the current cost of living in KL on an average???

If at all we plan to shift to KL, i'l be joining my husband on a dependent visa...but i it possible to work there on a dependent visa? I guess i read in some other thread that i can!!! Can u pls confirm this? I'm pursuing my CA here in India and have a teaching experience in all the subjects relating to CA (usually conduct tuitions for CA students). So even a teaching job is also a good choice for me provided i can work.

Anticipating some reply for this post so that we can come to some conclusion regarding the offer.

4. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

hi cgm..

tax will be deducted even before the salary is credited to us every month, this is the norm.. The exact amount of tax depends on nationality, visa type and others, so you can verify with your employers.

Reg apartments, it should be definitely above RM1500/- because this place is the hub and well connected by all forms of transport. And it is like India, where you find mostly Indian expat..If you want to move somewhere along the LRT line, then it would be cheaper and also easier to travel..

According to star property website, a studio apartment costs RM1300/-

Reg expenses for 2:

Groceries, vegetables, fruits, milk,etcetc - RM1000/- may be lesser..
    Non-veg is cheap and available plenty.
    transport is cheap if you stay near your workplace
    entertainment costs also are nominal.
    Eating out restaurants are also nominal near brickfields, and many working couples here eat out 24*7*365..

Basically KL is cheaper even compared to bangalore and chennai.. (I am not sure of hyderabad..)

Reg your work, its possible! you can come here and explore your options..

5. preethiitech

a home internet connection would be 100++ for a 4GB or 5GB speed
    Phone calls local are 15sen/minute
    Calls to India are even cheaper, starts from 14sen/minute
    Hospital - most of the companies give ING cards for employee and spouse, if not, request your employer to provide..

These are all that I can think of now.. Do let me know if you need anything specific.. Good luck..

6. cgm

cgm New IL'ite

@ preethi,
    Thank u for the details.

7. sva

sva New IL'ite

Hello dear friends,

I got a offer from consulting firm, and will be working for client form banking domain.
    I will be full time employee of consulting firm.
    I hav 4 years of exp and got offer of 6000 MYR per month, is it a good deal to stay at kaula lumpur.

I am single, not much into spending except eating (i m veggie) and occasional parying person.

Plz confrim is the 6K MYR p.m. is a avg. / good deal for a period of 1 year ?

Also i heard that, for first 6 months the tax deduction is at 26% of salary, and after 6 months it is refunded. then onwards the tax is around 7-8%, is it so ?

best regards. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. preethiitech

Hi sva, Welcome to Indusladies.

Welcome to KL as well, if you would take up the job offer..
    The salary mentioned is a good deal, considering your experience and single status, and spending style..

Tax mentioned above by you is right, but please confirm with your office if they would refund the tax after 6 months, just to make sure..

9. hridya123

hridya123 New IL'ite

Helo everyone... my family - husband, baby and me have been living in Sarawak for 3 yrs and now we are moving to KL in a few weeks' time. We are looking for accomodation and would like to rent out a 2 or 3 BHK around KL sentral max budget of RM 2000.... can anyone pls help. we are looking at a lot of websites but nothing fits our requirements. Would be grateful if anyone can give us some advice, connections. thanks

10. preethiitech

Hi Hridaya,

Welcome to KL and Indusladies..

Have you tried searching for properties in the newspapers/ star property website. They have deals matching all budgets and a variety of options. Good luck on your move..

Sarawak must have been a nice place with nature surrounding you all around, whereas KL might be different. Enjoy the change..

Another option is you can get an agent to look for you.. There are many housing agents, who will do the needful..