Cost of living in Kuala Lumpur/Malaysia

Discussion in 'New to KL' started by t_sireesha04, Sep 22, 2008.

1. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Usman,

A Friendly area?!! Friends can be made anywhere...

You mentioned 5000RM. But are you planning to move in with family, children.?

In KL, any decision is wise for living only wrt your office location/children's school etc.

If you choose the office at one end, and housing the other end(although a friendly place), you will not be suffice even if you have 25 hours a day!!

Please think on your office location..

2. usman

usman New IL'ite

I will be coming alone. And about the office... well I will need to go to office for only few days a month (5 or so), mostly I will be working from home. This is why I need to select the right place.

Thanks & Regards,
    Usman

3. angel12

angel12 Gold IL'ite

Hello guys,

m totally new to KL, just shifted to KL from India 3 weeks a go.. the please seems to be ok.. bt the major problem here is hardly you can find any friends... people hardly talk... even here, i dont even know who stays next to my house.. i tried being friends with dem, by passing an occasional smile, a nod of the head for initial starter... bt nothing happened... guess people here are not very friendly...

nyways i've recently got married and i am here with my Husband as he's workin g here... Presently we are staying near to Damai LRT... m not very gud with all the areas now... can anyone please tell me which is the nearest Tesco / Jusco outlet near to Damai ?? Heared the prices are low over der... It would be really helpful...

Thanks & Regards

Angel

4. preethiitech

hi angel12..

Welcome to kl :hiya

The place is friendly as you can find a lot of Indians here. Usually it is difficult in the initial times. But as time goes by, you can adjust.

Try mingling with social groups like your husband's office friends and family, etc.. then if you are in a condo/apt then the general meetings etc. Or if you work, with your colleagues.. or if you have children.. you can mingle with other children's parents etc..

It takes some time.. Do not worry dear :)

Its good that you try to show some positive signs and just maintain it at that..

Tesco near Damai.. you can check the google maps. and I believe Jusco is not so much cheaper.

Damai, I am not so familiar with the area. Just know that got a lrt and an international school there.. I am sorry!!:hide:

But any detail you search can be easily found on the net. Keep in touch.

May be we can meet soon.. (Btw, what language do you speak in India?; just for info..)

5. angel12

angel12 Gold IL'ite

Hey Preethi,

Thanks a lot !! nice to see atleast i can interact with some one here other than my husband :p well i have already tried to communicate with my neighbors bt other than a smile dint even got a wavw of hand.. nyways ... since jst recently married so no kids.. and all the peopel in husbands office are chinese.. so i guess i can hardly mingle wid dem.,.. bt tats k... coz atleast i can talk here... well i speek only hindi & English back home...

and thanks a ton for Jusco & Tesco details... appreciate it...

god bless you

Thanks

6. preethiitech

hi angel..

Thats how I used to feel before 'I can interact with some one other than my husband!!!"... no worries..

Yeah, just a "Smile" "Have a Good day" "How are you" etc.. is the maximum you can get along "wave of a hand"

I understand you can't mingle so much with his colleagues..But I assure you will get used to it very soon..

Are you trying to work here? Its just some time we may feel like that, but if we are busy in the job or later have kids, then we would say "No time, to say a "Hi""...

Have you settled down, arranged the things in your house? since you just shifted here....

If you are religious, try visiitng temples/churches here, there you can find people very friendly!!
    or enroll ina library.. if you like to read..

ok, then shall we meet????????

7. angel12

angel12 Gold IL'ite

Hey preethi...

Thanks for all the help.. hope it works.. :)... Its a gud idea.. wil go to visit the temples for sure.. :)

and sure we can meet up.. bt only i dont know the areas around here.. i've been to sentral.. so i know abt dat :)

you say hows life at your end... tell me more abt your self... nice to have a friend here in KL :)

Keep Smiling

8. preethiitech

hi angel.. (I like the name.. angel!!)

The areas is not a big problem.. We can always meet up in BrickFields "Little india".. Easy and accessible to all :)

about myself, I came here just a while ago, and working.. No kids yet!!

Just me and my Dh.. enjoying life :) learning everything as it comes by.. everyday is a new experience!!

And have you visited the nearby Tesco outlet?? what are the places where you have been to??

may be we should start discussing here Getting to know about ourselves and Life in Malaysia as we are starting to go out of "Cost of Living"..

No offences.. Please come to the link mentioned above.. We can discuss with other Ilites here too..

9. cgm

cgm New IL'ite

hi friends,

i'm a new member to IL and i need some info regarding the cost of living in KL. my husband has got an offer in KL with a salary of 100000MYR pa. My husband is a CA in India with 8yrs experience. Is the offered salary feasible? We are 2 members and no kids yet...Can some one share me the information regarding the current cost of living like the monthly expenses, incometax etc. and is it possible for us to save some amount with the above salary?

Thanks in advance...

10. preethiitech

Hi cgm, 8000+ per month is considered a good salary if your tax rates are less. Please check with the compay on how much would be deducted for tax.

If you like to work, you can also come here and get a job. Its comfortable to have a 2-member earning household. and also saves you from the boredom of being alone at home.

Monthly expenses, Rental, Transport and Entertainment are well manageable. For more details visit the thread `Cost of living in KL`

1 person likes this.