Correct Actions and Mindset to Create Startup

Discussion in 'Entrepreneurship' started by ChennaiExpress, Apr 20, 2015.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Hello Ladies,

Little background about me

Early in life, I was told that I wasn't good enough for anything grand.

Once, while I was working at an stratifying job with the government, I announced I wanted to start my own business, I got an angry scolding, being told I wasn't good enough and the only business I would have is a small candy store. That I am not shrewd and don't understand people.

I got this same angry scolding when I declared I'd find my own husband instead of through arranged marriage, and if you see my other threads, you can find the results.

Instead I was told stay the safe route, work in the government, and keep getting education. And while finding suitable groom, I was told to stay the safe route, stay with a safe person, and you can see from my previous threads the result.

Hence this post about startups.

Nothing wrong with getting continual education, and nothing wrong in eventually being the head of a government organization (in one US federal government organization, the Director had FOUR Masters Degrees)

But now I've come at point in my life where I think God made us a certain way for a certain reason, and he put certain, seemingly-impossible dreams in our heart for a reason ----- perhaps because it is our destiny.

In the next several years or so I would really like to create a business that sells maxi skirts and dresses. You may say, well, others are already selling maxi skirts and dresses, what makes you different.

Good Question.

I struggle to find maxi skirt/dresses that are sturdy, and durable material. Lot of it is thin, and shows the shape of your legs. And I don't like the color of most of them. And the worst part is, lot of the maxi dresses are so low cut, or sleeves are too short.

I'm looking for pretty maxi dress that is modest, and suitable for professional or casual environment. No need to expose body parts to the public.

I shop Aliexpress and see very few maxi skirts/dresses that are to my liking. And Aliexpress is suitable for petite ladies because they are mostly manufactured by Chinese, i.e. in USA I am Small, in China I am Large. If you are taller than 5'5", forget about it, the dresses will be too short.

I really believe in the power of my dreams, but I want to know how should I program my brain.

Right now, I have the opportunity to study for networking-based certification exams, and I really enjoy studying for them, especially when it comes to creating a mini-laboratory.

In other words, I like to learn, and I thrive in a hands-on environment.

What things should I focus on?

Right now on twitter, I follow entrepreneur-based accounts (and I stumbled upon this really awesome slideshow, 10 Indian Couples who tied the knot began their own startup). And when the time is right, I'd like to study financial engineering, using my background knowledge as an engineer to help me grasp and appreciate concepts.

And since I wish to sell the type of maxi dresses/skirts I wish to buy for myself, should I go to a fashion school? Or should I simply learn how to stitch and sew. I'd really enjoy stitching and sewing, at least till I get someone to mass produce it.....

I'd like to know what to think about, and plan in short and near term.

I'm a quiet, introverted lady (lot of people think I am so helpless and innocent, that they actually allow me to skip them on line to get coffee), but I have a dream, and I really thinking having this type of startup would be deeply gratifying.

Can you point me in right direction?

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

How about sourcing it from India and selling them here? You could identify some good tailors, give them your design, get it stitched and sell them here on etsy perhaps.

You would need a small investment, can get started right away without waiting for the future. What's more, you can do this right along with your full-time job. Take a small-time risk and see how it goes. There's a lot you will learn on the go.

If you are handy with the sewing machine, you can start stitching right away. There are many patterns available on the net. I do not think stitching a maxi dress is that complicated.

I am excited for you :) Good luck. Don't let others tell you what you can or cannot do.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChennaiExpress

Wow that's a wonderful way to start ..... I'll work on getting a couple of designs and researching tailors .......

4. ChennaiExpress

I would really love to live in India and this would help me to know who the best tailors are .......