Corporate Lessons I wish I had known at the start!

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by varalakshmi24, Oct 1, 2014.

1. varalakshmi24

varalakshmi24 Silver IL'ite

· Self Depracating humour has no place in an office. Office is a place where only trumpets must be blown either yours or your boss’s!
    · Not knowing is OK but admitting it is not cool!
    In an office the better way out is to figure it out yourself and get it done. Also chances are the person who handed over the job to you has not much of an idea either! So if you ask him to hide his ignorance he might put you down! Why go through all this drama?
    · When you are new to the office use the word Sir with Caution! There are people who deserve that kind of respect and those who don’t. If you start calling the undeserving “ Sir!’ You ll have to Sir them all through your tenure which can get exhausting!
    · When you are new to office, it could so happen that you are asked a lot of personal details by curious colleagues who are the epitome of friendship on the first few days. Reveal very selectively or not at all about personal details. It is OK to refuse to answer some questions like- when are you getting married, or when are you planning your first child ( ya people ask that)
    · Smile judiciously – You are not there to win Ms Popularity Award ( Excuse the cheesy naming). It is an office. Smile /laugh extremely judiciously. Do not let people think of you to be too much of an easy going personality
    · It is OK if people don’t like you in the beginning. Remember you are there to do a job not to get ‘Likes’!
    · People who seem dominating are ‘testing the waters’ in the first few days ,make your stand clear and do not cower just because you are a newcomer
    · Observe Observe Observe – Ultimate rule for survival! Observe and absorb all that is going on in you
    · Do not look to make friendships. If they happen over a course of period it is fine. But interacting with the aim of being a friend can be disastrous
    · Dress Well - It makes people look at you differently and treat you better ( It may seem shallow but it works folks!!)
    · If you make a mistake – Do not try to hide it. Look for solutions to contain the damage and have an open discussion with your boss
    · Dominating people are the worst hindrances in office. Avoid them like the plague or keep interactions minimal and formal
    · If you are not comfortable with some one’s behavior speak up. Behaving in a civilized manner is every one’s business not just yours
    · Be on your guard Men are Men
    · Work Life is very easy if you are good at your job. Work hard towards that.

2. vidhya3b

vidhya3b IL Hall of Fame

Very well said!!!

1 person likes this.
  3. varalakshmi24

varalakshmi24 Silver IL'ite

4. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

Good post!!! Very useful to remember this.

1 person likes this.
  5. jasmine25

jasmine25 Gold IL'ite

Every point is valid.. Excellent post!

1 person likes this.
  6. ammulur

ammulur Platinum IL'ite

wow very useful tips thanks for sharing with us Varalakshmi..

1 person likes this.
  7. akshasmom

akshasmom New IL'ite

Thank you, Varalakshmi.

I learned the hard way some of the mentioned lessons. You seem to have experience. Can you give me some advise.

How to deal with a colleague 15 year older but same position title as yours, competing for the higher position, who barges in asking all the personal questions, discussing your personal matters with others, degrading others in front of you and doing the same with others, dominating, interfering. How to deal with that kind of colleague working in the same department where you have to interact everyday. How to avoid that kind of colleague?

I talked to others but I did not like their answers which was out of inexperience and give answers just to show their presence.