1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus Disease Information - Covid-19

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Amulet, Jan 28, 2020.

1. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

And how do these Chinese colleagues know that?

The current population of china is 1.3+ billion, if 1% is affected, that means 13 million people are affected. Do you know the number of people moving in and out of china every day before the lockdown in Wuhan last week? Is that even a possibility?

Yeah probably China is not telling the accurate numbers and it is much worse than the 200 deaths and the 10k confirmed cases reported but the level of exaggeration of these rumors is ridiculous.

Please , do not be a part of spreading misinformation, worse panic and fear in the world. I am sorry for being brutally harsh but we should be socially responsible especially in these times.

SinghManisha, Thyagarajan and shravs3 like this.
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

SARS, MERS, Co-n2019, -- are all the new abbreviations we have been taught due to the viral respiratory afflictions over the last decade.
    The internet is also helping fast transmission of information, (also mis-information), and learning. I wondered about the why and how of viruses. Apparently the ability of viruses to take over the host's biological infrastructure and multiply has been a challenge in the evolutionary scheme of the host organism. Humans may not have evolved to be as strong (well... in a relative sense.... por favor!!) as we are if not for the jousts with the viruses in our environment.
    https://phys.org/news/2016-07-viruses-revealed-major-driver-human.html
    So every time you travel in an airplane, and somebody in seat 23C sneezes on the aisle, with sufficient force to infect everyone from rows 20 to 26, remember to thank that person for her contribution to the future evolutionary strength of the species.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Now the running count is including the number who had died, but also who had RECOVERED.

That is nice.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:That’s nice indeed.
    2. ANANTH KRISHNAN - a great columnist of the hindu reports in an article appeared in today’s The hindu in link below
    A swift response and a cover-up

Very interesting read of past and present vis a vis Chinese politics during disasters.

God - are you experimenting spread in cosmic lab?

5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I read that there are 65 more cases of the Corona virus infection on this Diamond Princess Cruise ship docked in a Japanese harbour with a couple of thousand people (crew and customers) on board. These people had been on a two week quarantine. Two week from what ? -- is my question.

Everyday there are new people who show symptoms. And everyone who is not showing symptoms (YET...) continues to be in quarantine on the same ship where the new cases had sprouted. In this situation, how do they count the quarantine days ? Two weeks from the last patient who showed symptoms ? This would mean, that everytime an ambulance pulls up on shore to transport a sick cruise-ship passenger to a local hospital, the quarantine clock is reset to ZERO ?

I am confused about this. Should I not to get on an airplane in America, till the spring time is real, and there are no "sesonal flu" cases in China ?

Coronavirus infection tally on Diamond Princess hits 135 as tests for all passengers eyed | The Japan Times

sandhya2020 likes this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

The Chief Scientist of the World Health Organization was recently interviewed on TV. She thinks there is much better coordination of efforts around this time, than the previous virus outbreaks -- ebola, SARS, MERS, ... She was quite good in her answers. And telegenic too.
    upload_2020-2-13_10-24-22.png

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Here is a french woman (WHO director) speaking from Geneva at 15:59 minutes on the video.
    There is a reference to India in this reportage.

8. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Thank you ! My whatsapp is flooded with fake videos of people supposedly dropping down dead like flies because of corona virus.

9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

People could navigate the web and find out interesting, and happy things, and pass it on. Apparently the virus infections (data on daily new cases) are going down in China.

After I saw Dr. Soumya Swaminathan's interview, I wanted to know how she looked when a little younger, and her tastes in sarees. She doesn't like gold Jewellery , but wears simple bead necklaces (like the ones that our ILF veteran @iyerviji makes) that matches her saree.

This following photo from wikipedia (from a few years ago) and the recent one in the dark-chocolate blouse shows how she follows the trend in blouses. Recently I have noticed that a lot of neck and back are in display in blouses.

[​IMG]
    upload_2020-2-13_14-54-14.png

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    iyerviji likes this.