Core java or testing

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by chanchal7, Apr 13, 2010.

1. chanchal7

chanchal7 New IL'ite

Hi friends,

I am a software engineer with almost 4 years of experience.I was working in a MNC but because small baby and husband's onsite I resigned 6 months back.Now my question is as I have only core java experience and nowadays there are so many new java tech. so I am confused to start a career again with core java or I should go towards testing.Is it correct that testing is good option for ladies with kids and all that... I don't want to put lot of efforts in job and studies as my kid also need my time....she is 2 years now...I know its a bit technical question but any senior in related field can show me the correct way...

2. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Hi

One thing is clear....if you are restarting after a gap...you need to update yourself on the latest. So if you want to pursue in java/ j2ee world pls update yourself!

On the other hand, if you choose areas like testing, you might be considered as a fresher and you have to start from scratch....

Given the fact that you want to balance family life....why not try something like training where you could use your realtime experience to teach people. I do not know how the training stuff works in the place where you live...but check out!

Cheers!

3. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

White box testing is another option - Since you were in dev before, this will be kinda inline. But not all companies have WB.. even if they have sometimes during layoff, WB are common targets as they can do without WBs.. or dev/QA will cover up for them.

So it is just a 6 mon gap? That should not be a big deal.. Do you still feel so out of loop already?

Yeah, QA is better than dev if you do not want too much pressure. But then QA also will have pressure towards going live/release.. and you may need to put overtime. It depends on the company/project etc. Overall dev is bit hectic. I am into development. JMO.

4. chanchal7

chanchal7 New IL'ite

Thanks a lot Jenz and Mstrue for ur suggestions. I think I will try for development jobs first as I already have experience in that.If it won't work beacuse of only core java then probably I will switch my line.

5. winvalli

winvalli New IL'ite

Hi chanchal7,

Please be confident. i am sure that if you can brush up your knowledge on core java which you are ready worked with .
    Now since people expecting bit more so you can learn some j2ee frame works like struts, AJAX, etc. If you can spend 2 months time on these , then you can easily get into these fremeworks+ some design patterns + UML 20%.

If you can spend bit more on these you will easily get job in development i feel. since the market is good and there is a good requirement for java i feel.

I think you are staying at hyderabad , there are multiple institutes are there to give you good subject on these frameworks. just try it . you will be in good job soon.

All the best.

Regards,
    Valli

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  6. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Your dilema needs answers for - What's your prior experience and areas of interest. i dont think With just 6 montsh of break, how can you switchover the career???
    If you are already into testing, just moveahead. Otherwise you can brush your skills, without core java...does any project survive?I doubt.
    So, stick on to your past experience only. The work in IT field sometimes hectic, though it can be dev or testing. So, dont bother much about catering time for home and work.

7. chanchal7

chanchal7 New IL'ite

Thanks Valli and Priya_mommy for ur suggestions...
    yes I think u r correct I should continue with Java and try to learn the new tech..Actually i was trying to drag back my feet and choosing comparatively easier way(testing).But now I guess its better to move forward with Java than to change the line...Thank you all for ur valuable inputs!!

8. winvalli

winvalli New IL'ite

Hi Chanchala,

I am also java programmer having 4+ years of experience. please do ask any queries if you have .

9. chanchal7

chanchal7 New IL'ite

Hi Winvalli,

Thanks...
    Actually I am in US and training is a bit costly here and I am not sure for how long my husband project will behere in US so I have started brushing up my core java and learning JSP, Sevlet from Head first. But again I am not sure that after putting lotttt of efforts in learning these many new technologies, I will get job or not as I won't be having experince in these tech....on the other hand I can see that for testing I need to learn only few things like tools... as I know the methodology etc...so now its like I am reading new things but with Confusion?????:bonk

10. winvalli

winvalli New IL'ite

Hi Chanchala,

Meeru first nerchukondi then online lo chala examples vunnayi avi practice cheyandi automatic ga meeku confidence vosthadi asalu jsp, servlet, struts strong ga vunte chalu meeku deffinet ga job vosthundi. once a topics confident ga vunte then meeru migathavi chadivi ardam chesukoni interview questions prepare avandi once job lo join ayyaka ela trouble shoot cheyalo meeku thelisinde kada. emundi meeru anthaga kangaru padalsina pani ledu. Meeru job India lo cheyalana leka US lo cheyalana ? naaku thelisi job thechukovadam problem kadandi

koddiga kastabadithe work cheyadam kuda problem kadu. But mee mind set lo adi kastam, testing ayithe easy ani padipoyindi more over people feel difficult with java because they cant think logically and writing code is another big task. but meeku alanti problem ledu kada.meeru java kotha kadu kada.
    More over idivariki laga testing ante simple ga tool vosthe chalu ane situation ayithe ledu ippudu enni tools vunte anni tools+technologies meeda expertise ayi vundalani expect chesthunnaru recruiters.

now decide your self .