1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Corals

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sunitha, Oct 19, 2005.

1. kanmani

kanmani Junior IL'ite

Are they 22ct gold?

Hi Sulakshana,

Thank you for posting the link beadsafterbeads. They seem to have a good collection of various types of beads.

I was looking to buy something for my cousin getting married in Dec in India. I preferred the necklace set (the coral & jade set in rose & leaf cutting). Are those necklaces made in 22 ct. gold?

Is it worth buying a necklace set? Or is it better to buy in loose & go make it in India?

Have you bought in beadsafterbeads? Are they reliable?

I know I am asking too many questions :mrgreen: , but please help for I am new to this kind of purchase.

Love,
    Kanmani

2. sulaksuresh

sulaksuresh New IL'ite

Corals/pearls/Jade

Hi Kanmani

I had been buying corals/jade/pearls in US for quite sometime now and I have made jewellary also. In India the jewellary shops where I tried to make it as an ornament, they told me that they are good variety of corals/pearls.

All these days I had been buying from Abson Imports, New Jersey. We moved to Columbus,Ohio subsequently. This time I bought some in Beadsafterbeads exhibition here in Columbus,Ohio. I am yet to take those stuff to India and make it as an ornament.

From what I have seen in all these exhibitions, the readymade sets are not in 22 KT Gold. Some are 14 Kt , some silver polished in 22 KT or 14 KT Gold. I would suggest that you buy in strings and take those to India and make it as an ornament of your choice. Also you get those jade leaf/coral flower cuts in loose also.

Hope this information helps.

Rgds
    Sulakshana

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sulakshana

Tell me about the pricing,please.How to buy these-should we buy a string containing x number of beads.For example,in the website,for 2 mm corals,the pricing is $ 5. I presume that is the price of just one coral bead.Is that correct?

How many such beads will we require for a decent necklace set.

4. sulaksuresh

sulaksuresh New IL'ite

Buying corals

Hi Sunitha

Firstly, I want to apologise for the late reply.

The price of a coral string varies from $10-$75 sometimes more also. Each string will contain some 65-70 coral beads. You can make a good necklace with little less than one string itself. I had mine done with some 55-60 beads. Again it depends on one's choice of the design.

5. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi All,
    I have purchased sand stone and pearls strings in NJ (Balaji pearls)
    I made a bangle and chain set in sand stone when I went to India. The jewellery people told that the stones are of good quality. The problem is
    there is not much time to us when we go to India on short vacation.
    I wish to make pearl set next time, I purchased the pearl string longtime back.

6. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot,Sulakshana.

Thanks a lot to Vidhyalakshmi and Mohana also.

8. paru

paru New IL'ite

Can any of u tell which place in chennai they make the jewellery out of these corals and pearls.

9. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You can try NarayanaPearls. Its a very famous shop in chennai.
    It has a branch in Pondy bazaaar (opp to Saravana Bhavan), Tnagar ( a plaza next to residency hotel .i forgot its name) , Anna nagar etc.
    They are very reliable and reasonable . they have wonderful collections also..

One Suggestion here is when u buy color gems like Jade etc. make sure u find the matching colored pendant/ear-ring . The sales lady in Narayana pearls pointed out the mistake in my selection. The pendant i chose for making necklace did not match the string i had bought from here.

10. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    One of my friends made beautiful sets from Narayana pearls.
    It is on my list of must to do things on my next trip to India.
    How long they will take to make a set in N.Pearls? Will they deliver
    on the same day?