1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Copycats..

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sweetestshweta, Dec 19, 2012.

1. sweetestshweta

sweetestshweta Gold IL'ite

Well my MIL-SIL force me to vent again..
    Whenever I wear anything good or new-jewellery,clothes or buy anything for my home-my MIL and SIL want the same thing:bonk

Don't know whether they genuinely like my stuff and do so or they are copycats or they just can't see me buying anything..
    And I am so fed up now..I mean its so irritating..
    A recent example-I was wearing new jewellery gifted to me by my mother and here comes the blow..My MIL after appreciating it says-"I was thinking we should get the same made for my daughter.." Its not only limited to comparing or copying-we are actually required to pay for my SIL's item then..

Sometimes I feel-I should start living like a pauper.. That will atleast save me from the burden of buying everything I have for my SIL also..:drowning

I was wondering-why don't they compare SIL and me when I am working so hard in office and when I am literally reduced to a donkey labouring so hard to manage both my home and job!!!

Anyways,my SIL has exactly the same copy of most of my clothes and jewellery..Don't feel like wearing them..

Any suggestions folks?
    Thanks..

4 people like this.

2. anjananathan

anjananathan Platinum IL'ite

ur SIL younger to u ? if yes, happily ignore.. i understand it irritates but you should be able to ignore also..

or couple of :crazy options

1) use them after some months so that you can say that this design will not be available now as u got it long time back..

2) first, buy the one u dont like.. let ur SIL copy.. then exchange and buy the one you really like .. :bonk

11 people like this.
  3. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

why don't you tell your MIL... I shall pass the same to SIL.. get me new 1 ... he he he

8 people like this.
  4. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

Same to same me.:bang

1 person likes this.
  5. silverlight

silverlight Silver IL'ite

why don't you try by saying:

'ohhhh mom-in-law.. again..!!
    how come you and SIL always end up selecting what me and my mom choose? Thank you so much for being our all time followers..!!! " :rotfl:rotfl

I can understand how irritating it is... :rant

2 people like this.
  6. Eraser

Eraser Silver IL'ite

I have seen girls / guys trying to buy exact copy of dress / shoes / jwellery etc., among friends / cousins and wear them on same day - like Diwali etc.,

We are OK to copy / match with friends / cousins but not to in-laws?? This issue holds good to guys too - they don't like their BIL to match them.

7. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

I liked the exchange idea!!!!

You can also make a pair common to visiting them. Whenever you visit them, wear the same thing. And if they comment, just mention "oh, everything else we possess is exactly the same, so I thought I'll just wear this because what if you choose to wear what I also chose?" :twisted:

If you HAVE to wear something new (forced due to occasion or something) and if they ask for a similar one, tell them "Oh I didn't like it that much. It was gifted by so and so who is a bad picker! Did you really like it :eek:

Sorry for joking, but do you have an option other than hearing them out???? :confused2: :bonk

2 people like this.
  8. Barnowl

Barnowl Gold IL'ite

OP, next time onwards buy something dirt cheap and that which looks/smells like it has been washed in the nearby sewer. Buy for yourself and your copycats. Start gifting them on occasions and festivals. Also, when you do so, mention the price you picked it at. Very important. If you can buy something of poor quality at low price, then that's the best bet, since that'll not last long, look like crap and gives you one more opprtunity to gift them :D

Outcomes expected:

1. They'll think your choice of anything - except your H - sucks. Bigtime.
    2. Grudgingly, they might accept gifts. Or better try to recycle them to others.
    3. Complain to others about your being a cheapskate. When this reaches your ears - and it will as it is s'posed to, you can be sure that you've made home the point.

1 person likes this.
  9. Bes

Bes Silver IL'ite

well some people are like that. But as they say "Imitation is the highest form of flattery". So be proud of urself girl..your IL's think u have a good taste!

My SIL does the same thing and it annoys me as well. So what I do is that I keep surprising her. I never dress the same way. For example, if she has the same saree as me, I wear the saree a bit differently, or try a new hairstyle or accesorize. She tries and tries to copy it, and is left confused :p

Another thing is whenver my SIL asks where I bought it, I say it is a gift from someone. Sometimes its a friend, other times its a collegue ..some one my SIL doesnt know. I just tell her I dont know the price coz its a gift. If she asks me to get a similar one, i simply dodge the request saying, "let me ask my friend". And i never bring it up again! I dont think u should spend money on satisfying their habit. Just avoid such conversations or simply say u will do it later.

My suggestion have fun with this habit of theirs. Keep experimenting and keep them on their toes trying to guess what u will wear next time!

5 people like this.
  10. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Hope you find the right bell for those cats ;-)

1 person likes this.