1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Copper Dinnerware Set

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by mangaii, Apr 15, 2021.

1. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I have been reading about benefits of copper . I was wondering if anyone has used copper ware as dinnerware . Is it worth the investment? Some if these things have stainless outside did copper inside . If you have used one pls provide review.
    Thanks
    Mangaii

2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

You meant copper "outside" and stainless inside. Like this in the picture: [​IMG]
    I could not find items with copper inside, that is, in contact with foods.

The word "dinnerware" is usually meant for something you'd eat off of. Most people who had migrated to the west (America) continue with their stainless steel plates (with or without multi-dimples for sabji servings), or gone westwards using ceramic plates and eat with fork, spoon and knife.

It is rare for even indians to cook with copper vessels. copper is usually added to the bottom of stainless steel vessels for its heat-transfer properties. This is especially useful in low level heatings, when we want the heat to diffuse into the vessel uniformly -- like in making biriyani using the "dum" procedure. Stainless steel is an ineffective heat transmitter compared to copper or aluminium. If you had already noticed, many Biriyani making recipes on video would display large aluminium vessels in the final "dum" stage.

The copper dinnerware do look nice, for displays. I think it is worth buying/using such things if that appeals to you. There is no health benefit per se in serving food in grand looking items. However, nobody knows the benefit of the cumulative effect of that happy feeling when food is served nicely day after day after day.

mangaii likes this.
  3. mangaii

I spoke to the seller and you are correct these aren't pure copper but website said 100% copper. This is waste of money

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have a copper jam pan (Mauviel brand) that I received as a gift from a very generous relative who knows I love cooking. It is a lovely piece of cookware but very expensive and not something I would ever buy for myself. I am perfectly happy with my regular stainless steel for daily cooking.

mangaii likes this.
  5. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

I got this kind of serving Kadai set as a gift from a cousin.

IMG_3013.jpg
    I have been using them for a long time not regularly but occasionally. Other times Its like a showpiece on my kitchen open self.
    During one of the India visits, I bought pure copper glasses, and on the last visit got dinnerware sets similar to the one which @Hopikrishnan shared (plates, bowls, spoons) they are really heavy.
    I don't know about the ones which are sold on Amazon and other sites. All my copper items brought by my aunt from a known local shop in India. One of my cousins in India is the guru for all of us who are staying outside. We all follow her trends in India.

mangaii and Hopikrishnan like this.
  6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

thats interesting thread as i am always amused by authentic or traditional indian utensils.. though my kitchen does not have many.

We used to have copper pots or cups to drink water from or overnight. That water is supposed to be good. I have seen some italian cookware in marshalls etc that is super heavy and expensive in same color ( copper) but not sure if made of copper, i do not think so.
    Copper turns blue overtime. So I do not even think it is practical. In our side, old times there use to be dinner ware give to bride by parents , made out of "brass alloy" which might be confused with copper.
    It used to be very heavy and expensive. My mother's dinner set was all stolen. Again not much practical for dishwasher.
    Now it is polished in yellow and some some people just buy and keep it for display

mangaii likes this.
  7. mangaii

The one I was planning on getting is from a authentic store . Anyway what I understood was certain food when left for few minutes in copper vessel does get spoiled. Hence these are not made of pure copper they are actually lined with stainless steel inside. In these you don't get any benefits of copper . It is like gold plated jewels . If we want we can buy water bottles or cups for drinking water . Copper base for cooking is good for its properties to retain heat.

8. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Many old buildings would have copper sheet roofing material. That would turn a bluish-green color. Cathedrals, churches, government buildings and such would have a colorful roof. Copper salts (sulphates, chlorides etc..) formed from acidic rain creates such colors. Churches will always be collecting money for roof renewals.

Copper and its salts are antifungal materials: the reason why there are sink-drain-cups for the kitchen sink that is made of copper. In old days one could also buy copper linings for toilet tanks that hold the flush-water.
    upload_2021-4-16_4-58-22.png
    OP was wondering about health benefits of using copper. Copper and Zinc are essential minerals one could buy at a local pharmacy....or mail order online. Ask your doctor if it is OK to eat a few milligrams of copper picolinate with your other daily vitamins, and then go for it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  9. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

Most of the copper cooking vessels available in market are coated with a thin tin alloy coating that makes it to safe for cooking. That coating wears in time and it is at that point that they may become hazardous. Also copper reacts to salt, acidic contents. I am not sure even with pure copper utensils you cannot cook all kind of food.